Old 06-23-2008, 04:56 AM
hce

Default Could not start X window

Hi,

I've just installed CentOS version 5 on a laptop Acer ASPIRE 5920. But
could not start X window. It got following error message:

Using confi file" "/etc/X11/xorg.conf"
(EE) VESA(0): No valid modes
(EE) Screens(s) found, but none have a usable configuration.

Fetal server error:
no screens found
XIO: fetal IO error 104 (Connection reset by peer) on X server ":0.0"

Please also find attached xorg.conf.

Thank you.

Kind Regards,

Jim

Old 06-23-2008, 05:04 AM
Frank Cox

On Mon, 23 Jun 2008 14:56:40 +1000
hce <webmail.hce@gmail.com> wrote:

> I've just installed CentOS version 5 on a laptop Acer ASPIRE 5920.

I suspect that laptop has one of the "really new" Intel graphic chipsets. This
isn't a bad thing, but the path of least resistance would be to install Fedora
8 or 9 on it instead of Centos for the time being, as Fedora will have the newer
Intel video drivers that should support your chipset.

Old 06-23-2008, 05:06 AM
Ross Cavanagh

hce wrote:

Hi,

I've just installed CentOS version 5 on a laptop Acer ASPIRE 5920. But
could not start X window. It got following error message:

Using confi file" "/etc/X11/xorg.conf"
(EE) VESA(0): No valid modes
(EE) Screens(s) found, but none have a usable configuration.

Fetal server error:
no screens found
XIO: fetal IO error 104 (Connection reset by peer) on X server ":0.0"

Please also find attached xorg.conf.

Thank you.

Kind Regards,

Jim
fe·tal /?fitl/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[*feet*-l]
Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation

?adjective Embryology.
of, pertaining to, or having the character of a fetus.

Also, foetal.

I couldn't resist... never seen that type of error before ;-)