-   -   Cannot boot after upgrading to Centos 5.1 (http://www.linux-archive.org/centos/11163-cannot-boot-after-upgrading-centos-5-1-a.html)

Mogens Kjaer 12-03-2007 12:40 PM

Cannot boot after upgrading to Centos 5.1

My local centos mirror (ftp.crc.dk) failed to boot
after having upgraded from centos 5.0 to 5.1 (i386).

It just displays

GRUB

The cursor is positioned to the right of a space after
GRUB, and no input is accepted.

I've tried booting in rescue mode and run:

chroot /mnt/sysimage
grub-install /dev/cciss/c0d0

This completes without errors, but still it can't boot.

It's a HP/Compaq Proliant ML370 with a smartarray 5312 controller.

HELP!

Mogens

Phone: +45 33 27 53 25, Fax: +45 33 27 47 08
Email: mk@crc.dk Homepage: http://www.crc.dk

"Alain Spineux" 12-03-2007 12:55 PM

On Dec 3, 2007 2:40 PM, Mogens Kjaer <mk@crc.dk> wrote:
> My local centos mirror (ftp.crc.dk) failed to boot
> after having upgraded from centos 5.0 to 5.1 (i386).
>
> It just displays
>
> GRUB
>
> The cursor is positioned to the right of a space after
> GRUB, and no input is accepted.
>
> I've tried booting in rescue mode and run:
>
> chroot /mnt/sysimage
> grub-install /dev/cciss/c0d0
>
> This completes without errors, but still it can't boot.
>
> It's a HP/Compaq Proliant ML370 with a smartarray 5312 controller.

Maybe the the module is not included into the new initrd image (if you
have upgraded your kernel too)

boot in rescue mode, check /etc/modprobe.conf if your controller module is in,
and run mkinitrd with appropriate parameters, maybe forcing the module
inclusion.

Regards

> HELP!
>
> Mogens
>
> --
> Mogens Kjaer, Carlsberg A/S, Computer Department
> Gamle Carlsberg Vej 10, DK-2500 Valby, Denmark
> Phone: +45 33 27 53 25, Fax: +45 33 27 47 08
> Email: mk@crc.dk Homepage: http://www.crc.dk

Alain Spineux
aspineux gmail com
May the sources be with you

Mogens Kjaer 12-03-2007 12:58 PM

Alain Spineux wrote:
> On Dec 3, 2007 2:40 PM, Mogens Kjaer <mk@crc.dk> wrote:
>> My local centos mirror (ftp.crc.dk) failed to boot
>> after having upgraded from centos 5.0 to 5.1 (i386).
>>
>> It just displays
>>
>> GRUB
>>
>> The cursor is positioned to the right of a space after
>> GRUB, and no input is accepted.
>>
>> I've tried booting in rescue mode and run:
>>
>> chroot /mnt/sysimage
>> grub-install /dev/cciss/c0d0
>>
>> This completes without errors, but still it can't boot.
>>
>> It's a HP/Compaq Proliant ML370 with a smartarray 5312 controller.
>
> Maybe the the module is not included into the new initrd image (if you
> have upgraded your kernel too)

I don't think this is relevant; grub doesn't get as far as to load
either the kernel nor the initrd.

"Alain Spineux" 12-03-2007 01:01 PM

On Dec 3, 2007 2:55 PM, Alain Spineux <aspineux@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Dec 3, 2007 2:40 PM, Mogens Kjaer <mk@crc.dk> wrote:
> > My local centos mirror (ftp.crc.dk) failed to boot
> > after having upgraded from centos 5.0 to 5.1 (i386).
> >
> > It just displays
> >
> > GRUB
> >
> > The cursor is positioned to the right of a space after
> > GRUB, and no input is accepted.
> >
> > I've tried booting in rescue mode and run:
> >
> > chroot /mnt/sysimage
> > grub-install /dev/cciss/c0d0
> >
> > This completes without errors, but still it can't boot.
> >
> > It's a HP/Compaq Proliant ML370 with a smartarray 5312 controller.
>
> Maybe the the module is not included into the new initrd image (if you
> have upgraded your kernel too)
>
> boot in rescue mode, check /etc/modprobe.conf if your controller module is in,
> and run mkinitrd with appropriate parameters, maybe forcing the module
> inclusion.

Ops forget this, you problem is long before this.
You already tried the good operation (grub-install)
Sorry.

Did you check if your /boot/grub/grub.conf looks correct ?

Do you have multiple "Volume", I mean is your raid split into multiple Volumes ?
Or do you have separate ATA or SCSI drives ?

--
Alain Spineux
aspineux gmail com

Mogens Kjaer 12-03-2007 01:13 PM

Alain Spineux wrote:
> On Dec 3, 2007 2:55 PM, Alain Spineux <aspineux@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Dec 3, 2007 2:40 PM, Mogens Kjaer <mk@crc.dk> wrote:
>>> My local centos mirror (ftp.crc.dk) failed to boot
>>> after having upgraded from centos 5.0 to 5.1 (i386).
>>>
>>> It just displays
>>>
>>> GRUB
>>>
>>> The cursor is positioned to the right of a space after
>>> GRUB, and no input is accepted.
>>>
>>> I've tried booting in rescue mode and run:
>>>
>>> chroot /mnt/sysimage
>>> grub-install /dev/cciss/c0d0
>>>
>>> This completes without errors, but still it can't boot.
>>>
>>> It's a HP/Compaq Proliant ML370 with a smartarray 5312 controller.
>> Maybe the the module is not included into the new initrd image (if you
>> have upgraded your kernel too)
>>
>> boot in rescue mode, check /etc/modprobe.conf if your controller module is in,
>> and run mkinitrd with appropriate parameters, maybe forcing the module
>> inclusion.
>
> Ops forget this, you problem is long before this.
> You already tried the good operation (grub-install)
> Sorry.
>
> Did you check if your /boot/grub/grub.conf looks correct ?

The file looks like this:

# grub.conf generated by anaconda
#
# NOTICE: You have a /boot partition. This means that
# all kernel and initrd paths are relative to /boot/, eg.
# root (hd0,0)
# kernel /vmlinuz-version ro root=/dev/cciss/c0d0p3
# initrd /initrd-version.img
#boot=/dev/cciss/c0d0
default=0
timeout=5
splashimage=(hd0,0)/grub/splash.xpm.gz
hiddenmenu
title CentOS (2.6.18-53.1.4.el5)
root (hd0,0)
kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.18-53.1.4.el5 ro root=LABEL=/
initrd /initrd-2.6.18-53.1.4.el5.img
title CentOS (2.6.18-53.1.4.el5PAE)
root (hd0,0)
kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.18-53.1.4.el5PAE ro root=LABEL=/
initrd /initrd-2.6.18-53.1.4.el5PAE.img
title Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server (2.6.18-8.1.15.el5PAE)
root (hd0,0)
kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.18-8.1.15.el5PAE ro root=LABEL=/
initrd /initrd-2.6.18-8.1.15.el5PAE.img
title Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server (2.6.18-8.1.15.el5)
root (hd0,0)
kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.18-8.1.15.el5 ro root=LABEL=/
initrd /initrd-2.6.18-8.1.15.el5.img

Looks OK to me.

> Do you have multiple "Volume", I mean is your raid split into multiple Volumes ?
> Or do you have separate ATA or SCSI drives ?

One RAID 5 system with 8x146G SCSI disks. This is partitioned
into "/boot", swap, and "/". No LVM.

Mogens Kjaer 12-03-2007 01:21 PM

Mogens Kjaer wrote:
> [...]

I got it to boot by doing a:

grub-install '(hd0)'

Strange...

Karanbir Singh 12-03-2007 02:42 PM

Mogens Kjaer wrote:

> I got it to boot by doing a:
>
> grub-install '(hd0)'

the /boot/grub/device.map must point grub to the right location for hd0,
check that once. Also, grub has not been updated in 5.1 at all, so I
would think your problem is not related to the update at all. When was
the last time you rebooted the machine :)

Mogens Kjaer 12-03-2007 03:40 PM

Karanbir Singh wrote:

Mogens Kjaer wrote:

Mogens Kjaer wrote:

chroot /mnt/sysimage
grub-install /dev/cciss/c0d0

I got it to boot by doing a:

grub-install '(hd0)'

the /boot/grub/device.map must point grub to the right location for hd0,
check that once. Also, grub has not been updated in 5.1 at all, so I
would think your problem is not related to the update at all. When was
the last time you rebooted the machine :)

device.map contains:

(fd0) /dev/fd0
(hd0) /dev/cciss/c0d0

However, I've noticed that grub-install is not telling
the truth:

# grub-install /dev/cciss/c0d0
expr: non-numeric argument
Installation finished. No error reported.
This is the contents of the device map /boot/grub/device.map.
Check if this is correct or not. If any of the lines is incorrect,
fix it and re-run the script `grub-install'.

(fd0) /dev/fd0
(hd0) /dev/cciss/c0d0

# grub-install '(hd0)'
Installation finished. No error reported.
This is the contents of the device map /boot/grub/device.map.
Check if this is correct or not. If any of the lines is incorrect,
fix it and re-run the script `grub-install'.

(fd0) /dev/fd0
(hd0) /dev/cciss/c0d0

In the first case it says that no errors are reported, however
there's a message from expr that something has gone wrong. The
stage2 file produced by the two commands differ.

If I add a "set -x" to a copy of the grub-install command
and do a diff on the output I get:

< ++ tmp_drive='(hd0)'
< ++ test 'x(hd0)' = x
< ++ test x/dev/cciss/c0d0 '!=' x
< ++ case "$host_os" in
< ++ echo '(hd0)'
< +++ expr /dev/cciss/c0d0 - 1
< expr: non-numeric argument
508c451
< + install_boot_block '(hd0,0)' '(hd0,)'
---
> + install_boot_block '(hd0,0)' '(hd0)'

The machine reboots automatically during the weekend if
a new kernel has been installed, yum update runs daily,
so it has been rebooted.

Scott Silva 12-03-2007 05:27 PM

Cannot boot after upgrading to Centos 5.1

on 12/3/2007 8:40 AM Mogens Kjaer spake the following:

Karanbir Singh wrote:

Mogens Kjaer wrote:

Mogens Kjaer wrote:

chroot /mnt/sysimage
grub-install /dev/cciss/c0d0

I got it to boot by doing a:

grub-install '(hd0)'

the /boot/grub/device.map must point grub to the right location for hd0,
check that once. Also, grub has not been updated in 5.1 at all, so I
would think your problem is not related to the update at all. When was
the last time you rebooted the machine :)

device.map contains:

(fd0) /dev/fd0
(hd0) /dev/cciss/c0d0

However, I've noticed that grub-install is not telling
the truth:

# grub-install /dev/cciss/c0d0
expr: non-numeric argument
Installation finished. No error reported.
This is the contents of the device map /boot/grub/device.map.
Check if this is correct or not. If any of the lines is incorrect,
fix it and re-run the script `grub-install'.

(fd0) /dev/fd0
(hd0) /dev/cciss/c0d0

# grub-install '(hd0)'
Installation finished. No error reported.
This is the contents of the device map /boot/grub/device.map.
Check if this is correct or not. If any of the lines is incorrect,
fix it and re-run the script `grub-install'.

(fd0) /dev/fd0
(hd0) /dev/cciss/c0d0

In the first case it says that no errors are reported, however
there's a message from expr that something has gone wrong. The
stage2 file produced by the two commands differ.

If I add a "set -x" to a copy of the grub-install command
and do a diff on the output I get:

< ++ tmp_drive='(hd0)'
< ++ test 'x(hd0)' = x
< ++ test x/dev/cciss/c0d0 '!=' x
< ++ case "$host_os" in
< ++ echo '(hd0)'
< +++ expr /dev/cciss/c0d0 - 1
< expr: non-numeric argument
508c451
< + install_boot_block '(hd0,0)' '(hd0,)'
---
> + install_boot_block '(hd0,0)' '(hd0)'

The machine reboots automatically during the weekend if
a new kernel has been installed, yum update runs daily,
so it has been rebooted.

Mogens

I have never gotten grub to install to a linux device name. It always wants a
defined drive in the device.map. I always thought I was doing something wrong,
and resolved myself to always check the device.map first.

--
MailScanner is like deodorant...
You hope everybody uses it, and

Mogens Kjaer 12-04-2007 04:16 AM

Scott Silva wrote:
I have never gotten grub to install to a linux device name. It always
wants a defined drive in the device.map. I always thought I was doing
something wrong, and resolved myself to always check the device.map first.

I have a spare machine with the same RAID controller; I'll try to
do a fresh install of 5.0 followed by an upgrade to 5.1 and see if
the problem reoccurs.