-   -   backup question (http://www.linux-archive.org/centos/111241-backup-question.html)

admin 06-22-2008 08:37 AM

backup question

I've had good results using Clonezilla for complete backup of OS+data.
It backs up entire disks/partitions, so includes everything including
configuration files, tweaks etc. It is fast compared to something like
Ghost, and can backup to devices (USB stick or external HDD) or a
network location. Restores are also fast and have been flawless to date
(restoring to identical hardware).

If you want to restore an entire system in all its detail in one quick
operation, something like Clonezilla is worth investigating.

http://www.clonezilla.org/

or Google "Gparted-clonezilla" as many versions of Clonezilla are
packaged on a Live CD with Gparted.

Gergely Buday wrote:

Dear CentOs users,

I have a centos server with nothing important at the moment, but I
would like to install some web-based project management tool (trac for
the curious) that would contain important data. And, as my network is
growing the configuration of the server is becoming complex. I would
like to have a proper backup so that I can restore the whole system
easily, should any problem occur. What do you recommend?

I'm not an expert on this, so my first idea is that I could do a per
application backup and create a tar file of the /etc. The latter
especially could be too naive. And, a push-the-button method that
handles all in once, not depending on the app number would be much
better.

Another thing: how I could do this to be safe across a centos upgrade?

- Gergely

Anne Wilson 06-22-2008 08:44 AM

backup question

On Sunday 22 June 2008 09:37:38 admin wrote:
> I've had good results using Clonezilla for complete backup of OS+data.

Is there any compression? Does it span multiple CDs if necessary?

Anne

nightduke 06-22-2008 01:56 PM

backup question

http://www.rsnapshot.org/

Les Mikesell 06-22-2008 02:27 PM

backup question

Anne Wilson wrote:

I've had good results using Clonezilla for complete backup of OS+data.

Is there any compression? Does it span multiple CDs if necessary?

It does an image copy and knows enough about most filesystems to only
copy the used portions of the disk. Yes it compresses, no it doesn't
split - or write CD's directly. It lets you store the image in a
variety of places (network mount via samba, NFS, or ssh), local disks
which could be USB external, etc.). After the image is stored, you can
use a command line to convert the image to a bootable DVD image
containing clonezilla and the image. But it doesn't split and you have
to use some other utility to burn the DVD. It would probably work
pretty well to install clonezilla to boot from a large USB disk where
you could store images directly and restore from them.

--
Les Mikesell
lesmikesell@gmail.com

Anne Wilson 06-22-2008 04:02 PM

backup question

On Sunday 22 June 2008 15:27:34 Les Mikesell wrote:
> Anne Wilson wrote:
> >> I've had good results using Clonezilla for complete backup of OS+data.
> >
> > Is there any compression? Does it span multiple CDs if necessary?
>
> It does an image copy and knows enough about most filesystems to only
> copy the used portions of the disk. Yes it compresses, no it doesn't
> split - or write CD's directly. It lets you store the image in a
> variety of places (network mount via samba, NFS, or ssh), local disks
> which could be USB external, etc.). After the image is stored, you can
> use a command line to convert the image to a bootable DVD image
> containing clonezilla and the image. But it doesn't split and you have
> to use some other utility to burn the DVD. It would probably work
> pretty well to install clonezilla to boot from a large USB disk where
> you could store images directly and restore from them.

With usb sticks becoming so cheap that's a viable option, then. Thanks

Anne

admin 06-23-2008 08:59 AM

backup question

Yep, and USB external hard drives are even cheaper per GB.

Here in Australia an 8G USB stick retails for around AU$50, while a 250G
2.5" external HDD is around AU$140 by comparison (about 1/10 the cost
per GB).

Ned Slider 06-23-2008 02:07 PM

backup question

Gary Richardson wrote:
Do you need to shut your machine down to use clonezilla? After a quick
skim of the site, I can't find anything that says you don't.

Yes, Clonezilla is a LiveCD which you boot from to clone the disk so
your machine will be offline during this process.

"Theo Band [GreenPeak]" 06-23-2008 03:30 PM

backup question

Gergely Buday wrote:

Dear CentOs users,

I have a centos server with nothing important at the moment, but I
would like to install some web-based project management tool (trac for
the curious) that would contain important data. And, as my network is
growing the configuration of the server is becoming complex. I would
like to have a proper backup so that I can restore the whole system
easily, should any problem occur. What do you recommend?

I'm not an expert on this, so my first idea is that I could do a per
application backup and create a tar file of the /etc. The latter
especially could be too naive. And, a push-the-button method that
handles all in once, not depending on the app number would be much
better.

Another thing: how I could do this to be safe across a centos upgrade?

I use dump (and restore). It works nice for ext3 file systems.
First you do a full dump (level 0) then you do an incremental dump (1 or
higher):

dumplevel=0
or for incremental
dumplevel=1

# To use ssh to connect to the remote host
export RSH=ssh

# then dump
dump -${dumplevel} -u -z -f remote_host:/sda1_dump /dev/sda1

You have to fill in your device and filename of course....

See man dump/restore

Cheers,
Theo

--
GreenPeak Technologies
Phone : +31 30 711 5622 Catharijnesingel 30

CONFIDENTIALITY: this message, including possible attachment(s),
constitutes confidential GreenPeak information, intended for the use of
above named addressee(s) only; any other use or disclosure to anyone
other than addressee(s), is prohibited. Chamber of Commerce
NL-3210.56.42.

admin 06-24-2008 09:25 AM

backup question

I think so, at least you do the way I use it because you boot the
machine off the Clonezilla CD, then mount the device/partition you're
backing up to and select the device/partition being backed up.

But Clonezilla also has a whole network mode of operation involving a
Clonezilla server, so I can't rule it out ... maybe someone else can?

lesmikesell@gmail.com <mailto:lesmikesell@gmail.com>