-   -   is it possible to login to a switch via RS232 / serial port from the shell? (http://www.linux-archive.org/centos/111223-possible-login-switch-via-rs232-serial-port-shell.html)

John R Pierce 06-22-2008 06:59 AM

is it possible to login to a switch via RS232 / serial port from the shell?

Rudi Ahlers wrote:

Hi all

I have a problem switch in our data centre, which is connected to a
linux server via a serial cable. I know I can / could access the
switch from my Windows PC back at the office, using hyperterm, but
trying to access it using minicom just doesn't seem to work.

I have changed the comms in minincom to use /dev/tty0 & the baud rate
to 9600, yet I can't seem to connect with minicom. Does anyone know
how to connect to a serial device from the console?

try /dev/ttyS0 or /dev/ttyS1 for the serial ports.

"Bent Terp" 06-22-2008 07:02 AM

is it possible to login to a switch via RS232 / serial port from the shell?

> I have changed the comms in minincom to use /dev/tty0 & the baud rate to
> 9600, yet I can't seem to connect with minicom. Does anyone know how to
> connect to a serial device from the console?

This works for me with our Cisco console cables:
sudo yum install picocom
sudo picocom /dev/ttyS0

BR Bent

Rudi Ahlers 06-22-2008 07:43 AM

Bent Terp wrote:

I have changed the comms in minincom to use /dev/tty0 & the baud rate to
9600, yet I can't seem to connect with minicom. Does anyone know how to
connect to a serial device from the console?

This works for me with our Cisco console cables:
sudo yum install picocom
sudo picocom /dev/ttyS0

BR Bent

but will that program work for other devices as well? this is a cheap
D-Link layer2 managed switch.

--

Kind Regards
Rudi Ahlers

Web: http://www.SoftDux.com
Check out my technical blog, http://blog.softdux.com for Linux or other technical stuff, or visit http://www.WebHostingTalk.co.za for Web Hosting stuff

Rudi Ahlers 06-22-2008 07:44 AM

John R Pierce wrote:

Rudi Ahlers wrote:

Hi all

I have a problem switch in our data centre, which is connected to a
linux server via a serial cable. I know I can / could access the
switch from my Windows PC back at the office, using hyperterm, but
trying to access it using minicom just doesn't seem to work.

I have changed the comms in minincom to use /dev/tty0 & the baud rate
to 9600, yet I can't seem to connect with minicom. Does anyone know
how to connect to a serial device from the console?

try /dev/ttyS0 or /dev/ttyS1 for the serial ports.

Sorry, I am using ttyS0 no tty0 - using ttyS1 doesn't help either.

Am I doing this right? I press CTRL + A + M to Initialize Modem, or
should I be issuing a different command to connect?

Rudi Ahlers 06-22-2008 07:46 AM

Bent Terp wrote:

I have changed the comms in minincom to use /dev/tty0 & the baud rate to
9600, yet I can't seem to connect with minicom. Does anyone know how to
connect to a serial device from the console?

This works for me with our Cisco console cables:
sudo yum install picocom
sudo picocom /dev/ttyS0

BR Bent

On which OS did you install this? On CentOS? If so, which repository did
you have to add, cause I see the ones I have enabled doesn't have it?

[root@venus ~]# yum install picocom
Setting up Install Process
Setting up repositories
rpmforge 100% |=========================| 1.1 kB 00:00
base 100% |=========================| 1.1 kB 00:00
updates 100% |=========================| 951 B 00:00
addons 100% |=========================| 951 B 00:00
extras 100% |=========================| 1.1 kB 00:00
Parsing package install arguments
Nothing to do

Les Mikesell 06-22-2008 02:32 PM

Rudi Ahlers wrote:

Hi all

I have a problem switch in our data centre, which is connected to a
linux server via a serial cable. I know I can / could access the switch
from my Windows PC back at the office, using hyperterm, but trying to
access it using minicom just doesn't seem to work.

I have changed the comms in minincom to use /dev/tty0 & the baud rate to
9600, yet I can't seem to connect with minicom. Does anyone know how to
connect to a serial device from the console?

That should work, but I usually use kermit which has a lot more options
and is scriptable.

With kermit, try:

set line /dev/ttyS0
set carrier off (just in case the device doesn't raise CD)
connect

then it is control-] followed by 'c' to get back to kermit.

--
Les Mikesell
lesmikesell@gmail.com

Rudi Ahlers 06-22-2008 07:57 PM

Les Mikesell wrote:

Rudi Ahlers wrote:

Hi all

I have a problem switch in our data centre, which is connected to a
linux server via a serial cable. I know I can / could access the
switch from my Windows PC back at the office, using hyperterm, but
trying to access it using minicom just doesn't seem to work.

I have changed the comms in minincom to use /dev/tty0 & the baud rate
to 9600, yet I can't seem to connect with minicom. Does anyone know
how to connect to a serial device from the console?

That should work, but I usually use kermit which has a lot more
options and is scriptable.

With kermit, try:

set line /dev/ttyS0
set carrier off (just in case the device doesn't raise CD)
connect

then it is control-] followed by 'c' to get back to kermit.

where do I get kermit? yum install kermit returned no results

fred smith 06-22-2008 09:08 PM

On Sun, Jun 22, 2008 at 09:57:08PM +0200, Rudi Ahlers wrote:
> Les Mikesell wrote:
> >Rudi Ahlers wrote:
> >>Hi all
> >>
> >>I have a problem switch in our data centre, which is connected to a
> >>linux server via a serial cable. I know I can / could access the
> >>switch from my Windows PC back at the office, using hyperterm, but
> >>trying to access it using minicom just doesn't seem to work.
> >>
> >>I have changed the comms in minincom to use /dev/tty0 & the baud rate
> >>to 9600, yet I can't seem to connect with minicom. Does anyone know
> >>how to connect to a serial device from the console?
> >
> >That should work, but I usually use kermit which has a lot more
> >options and is scriptable.
> >
> >With kermit, try:
> >
> >set line /dev/ttyS0
> >set carrier off (just in case the device doesn't raise CD)
> >connect
> >
> >then it is control-] followed by 'c' to get back to kermit.
> >

> where do I get kermit? yum install kermit returned no results

I don't know, just offhand, where you can get a binary ready to install
on Centos or RH.

But if you're not afraid to compile it yourself you can find it here:
http://www.columbia.edu/kermit/ck80.html

Shouldn't be anything harder than unpacking the archive and typing
"make linux".

While we were still sinners,
Christ died for us.

Karanbir Singh 06-22-2008 09:26 PM

Rudi Ahlers wrote:
> Hi all
>
> I have a problem switch in our data centre, which is connected to a
> linux server via a serial cable. I know I can / could access the switch
> from my Windows PC back at the office, using hyperterm, but trying to
> access it using minicom just doesn't seem to work.

issues like this which are not related to CentOS should be marked with
an [OT] tag in the subject line as a start....

Rudi Ahlers 06-22-2008 09:26 PM

Bent Terp wrote:

I have changed the comms in minincom to use /dev/tty0 & the baud rate to
9600, yet I can't seem to connect with minicom. Does anyone know how to
connect to a serial device from the console?

This works for me with our Cisco console cables:
sudo yum install picocom
sudo picocom /dev/ttyS0

BR Bent

I have just noticed that there's no serial device loaded, yet I know
it's enabled in the BIOS.

The only reference I could find in dmesg for serial ports is this:

Serial: 8250/16550 driver $Revision: 1.90 $ 4 ports, IRQ sharing enabled
r8169 Gigabit Ethernet driver 2.2LK-NAPI loaded
GSI 20 sharing vector 0xC0 and IRQ 20
ACPI: PCI Interrupt 0000:01:00.0[A] -> GSI 20 (level, low) -> IRQ 20
eth0: Identified chip type is 'RTL8169s/8110s'.

[root@venus ~]# more /var/log/dmesg | grep ser
Memory: 433664k/532480k available (2358k kernel code, 89936k reserved,
1325k data, 172k init)

PCI: BIOS Bug: MCFG area at d0000000 is not E820-reserved
pnp: 00:08: ioport range 0x400-0x4bf could not be reserved
- User ID: CentOS (Kernel Module GPG key)
serio: i8042 KBD port at 0x60,0x64 irq 1
serio: i8042 AUX port at 0x60,0x64 irq 12
8250_pnp: Unknown symbol serial8250_unregister_port
8250_pnp: Unknown symbol serial8250_register_port

So, it seems like there's no serial port in the Xen kernel, or am I
missing something? How do I get the serial port to work in CentOS 5.1 + Xen?