Old 06-21-2008, 05:37 PM
"nate"

Default centos 4.6 - 586 install - how to get that to a 486 level if possible

Scott Silva wrote:

> I still think Debian, Ubuntu, Gentoo, or one of the BSD's will be your best
> option on that hardware. But Gentoo would take forever to compile/install on
> that hardware.

I thought I read at some point that Debian etch dropped 486 support.

Another option may be CentOS 3.x or CentOs 2.x, I'd think one of them
would support 486, and in theory at least they are still getting
security updates. Older hardware often needs older software to run,
at least there's an option to run older software that's still
supported.

nate