Old 06-21-2008, 05:15 PM
"李晖"

Default cannot unmount volume "xxx"

Hi all:
*** I am using Centos 5.1. But now I have a problem when unmount a removable usb hard disk with right click and choose unmount volume command. When I did that, system reminds me with a message like this:Cannot unmount volume "xxx", Detail: Cannot remove directory, "xxx" represents a temporary directory made when the system auto mount the disk in /media, and "xxx" is simple-chinese. But in fact, the volume has been removed because there're no files or folder in xxx.

*** Because the file system type of the hard disk is NTFS, I install ntfs-3g and add a script named "mount.ntfs" in /sbin, the content of the script is
#!/bin/sh
export LANG=zh_CN.UTF-8
exec /sbin/mount.ntfs-3g "$@"
*** I googled this problem for many days and didn't find any way to solve this problem. Maybe it is a bug. I hope someone can help me. Thank you.
--
Sunny Lee

Old 06-21-2008, 05:41 PM
"nate"

wrote:

> I googled this problem for many days and didn't find any way to solve
> this problem. Maybe it is a bug. I hope someone can help me. Thank you.

You may lose data doing this but at least for NFS volumes if something
is stuck I umount the file systems with the "-l -f" options. I'm not
sure if it'll work for NTFS but if you really want to force unmount
try

umount (path to mounted file system) -l -f

You may want to check to see if any files are in use on that file system
first, for that I'd use lsof

lsof | grep (path to mounted file system)

nate

Old 06-22-2008, 02:14 AM
"李晖"

Thank you for your help. I will try this when I mount the hard disk next time. Thanks again.

Old 06-23-2008, 12:17 AM
"Rob Townley"

[...]

You may want to double check that all of your CTRL-ALT+Fx virtual consoles, screen sessions, and Konqueror windows do not have a folder open on the external usb drive.* For instance, could you have forgotten that in the CTRL-ALT+F1 console, you cd'd into /media/sda1/ ???*

i also second the lsof -a command.