Old 06-21-2008, 04:53 PM
"Kevin K"

Default centos 4.6 - 586 install - how to get that to a 486 level if possible

I tried RHEL 3 (I believe) on a Pentium class system, and that did not work
well.

For everything but the kernel, there was a 386 version available (glibc,
ssl, etc), so we recompiled the kernel for the 586.

Unfortunately, glibc, when you compile it for anything below a 686, did not
support NTPL threads, causing nothing but heartache. Luckily, before we got
too far, we learned we didn't have to target the Pentium based computer
anymore. I am happy we didn't have to validate everything still worked when
something as major as glibc is rebuilt (since I started looking whether it
was possible to rebuild glibc for 586 and NTPL). Kernels are less risky,
since people rebuild them more frequently.