Old 06-21-2008, 03:48 AM
Johnny Hughes

Default centos 4.6 - 586 install - how to get that to a 486 level if possible

Jerry Geis wrote:

Is there a method to get a 586 (i586 text) install to a 486 level?
I am looking for information guidance on this.
I have looked into using debian/386 which stinks in my opinion,
slackware doesnt quite have it either.

So I am wishing/hoping there is a NOT TO painful way to get a 586 install
to run on a 486 chip.

This would be almost impossible with centos.

The reason is that there are things that glibc will compile in that are
not i486 compatible

You would be much better off trying to do this with debian I think.

If it were possible, it would be by installing the i386 glibc, i386
openssl and editing the kernel spec file and the config file.

You can try to change the processor type to i386 or i486 and see if it
will work ... however I do not think it is possible on other than
centos-3 to get an i386 compile.

I have been searching but havent found anything useful. If anyone knows
what might need

to be done I would appreciate it.