Old 06-21-2008, 02:53 AM
fred smith

Default centos 4.6 - 586 install - how to get that to a 486 level if possible

On Fri, Jun 20, 2008 at 09:55:17PM -0400, Jerry Geis wrote:
> Is there a method to get a 586 (i586 text) install to a 486 level?
> I am looking for information guidance on this.
> I have looked into using debian/386 which stinks in my opinion,
> slackware doesnt quite have it either.
>
> So I am wishing/hoping there is a NOT TO painful way to get a 586 install
> to run on a 486 chip.
>
> I have been searching but havent found anything useful. If anyone knows
> what might need
> to be done I would appreciate it.

Sorry, I have no clue about your question. However, I have several
AMD K6 chips (pentium-equivalent) lying around should you trip over
a motherboard that'll run them. That would solve your 486 problem, I
think, so let me know if such a chip would help you out.

The Lord detests the way of the wicked