Old 06-20-2008, 09:36 PM
Rudi Ahlers

Default how do I manage a Dell PE 860 server via IPMI?

Hi all

I'm trying to get to grips with this one, but just can't figure it out.
I recently acquired some 2nd hand Dell Poweredge 860 servers, and
noticed that they have built in remote management interfaces. So, I have
setup one, and assigned an IP address to it, but have no idea on how to
access it remotely. Google'ing for an answer didn't bring me more than
general product information about various different IPMI stuff.

So, how do I actually access these servers remotely? If possible, I'd
like todo it via another CentOS server at the DC using SSH.

tia

--

Kind Regards
Rudi Ahlers

Web: http://www.SoftDux.com
Check out my technical blog, http://blog.softdux.com for Linux or other technical stuff, or visit http://www.WebHostingTalk.co.za for Web Hosting stuff

Old 06-20-2008, 10:36 PM
John R Pierce

Rudi Ahlers wrote:

Hi all

I'm trying to get to grips with this one, but just can't figure it
out. I recently acquired some 2nd hand Dell Poweredge 860 servers, and
noticed that they have built in remote management interfaces. So, I
have setup one, and assigned an IP address to it, but have no idea on
how to access it remotely. Google'ing for an answer didn't bring me
more than general product information about various different IPMI stuff.

So, how do I actually access these servers remotely? If possible, I'd
like todo it via another CentOS server at the DC using SSH.

do they have teh DRAC 4/p management module? if so, you configure that
(can be done from the BIOS setup, I believe) to have an IP, then you can
access them with a web browser. this is done via the seperate ethernet
port on the DRAC card. change the default DRAC password on first
access (no, I don't recall what the default is, but if you google for
site:dell.com drac-4 documentation, I'm sure you'll find it).

if its strictly IPMI, I can't help you, I've never figured out IPMI either.

Old 06-20-2008, 11:04 PM
Rudi Ahlers

John R Pierce wrote:

Rudi Ahlers wrote:

[...]

I'm not 100% sure if there's a DRAC 4 device in. It has 2x NIC's, and I
can set the IP on the top NIC as the management IP. I haven't been able
to connect to it via a web browser though, nor can I ping it.

Old 06-21-2008, 12:20 AM
"nate"

Rudi Ahlers wrote:

> I'm not 100% sure if there's a DRAC 4 device in. It has 2x NIC's, and I
> can set the IP on the top NIC as the management IP. I haven't been able
> to connect to it via a web browser though, nor can I ping it.

Install the OpenIPMI tools, start ipmi, and try to connect using
ipmitool shell

You may need to install some dell specific drivers as well.

Once in the ipmi shell try commands like
sensor
lan print 0 (print's IPMI controller config)

This works for me on the DRAC 5, haven't tried DRAC4, but it works
on other non dell IPMI systems as well for me.

nate

Old 06-21-2008, 05:06 AM
Les Mikesell

Rudi Ahlers wrote:

Hi all

I'm trying to get to grips with this one, but just can't figure it out.
I recently acquired some 2nd hand Dell Poweredge 860 servers, and
noticed that they have built in remote management interfaces. So, I have
setup one, and assigned an IP address to it, but have no idea on how to
access it remotely. Google'ing for an answer didn't bring me more than
general product information about various different IPMI stuff.

So, how do I actually access these servers remotely? If possible, I'd
like todo it via another CentOS server at the DC using SSH.

Dell's usually come with their openmange suite, so you might google for
that. I think a java-enabled browser should connect and get an applet
that looks more or less like vnc for console access. But you only need
it when installing remotely or if something is wrong so you can't ssh to
the main interface.

Dell usually has all their documentation and updates online. If this
doesn't help you can probably find the full manual.

ftp://ftp.us.dell.com/sysman/readme_160_A00.txt

--
Les Mikesell
lesmikesell@gmail.com

Old 06-21-2008, 06:13 AM
Rudi Ahlers

nate wrote:

Rudi Ahlers wrote:

I'm not 100% sure if there's a DRAC 4 device in. It has 2x NIC's, and I
can set the IP on the top NIC as the management IP. I haven't been able
to connect to it via a web browser though, nor can I ping it.

Install the OpenIPMI tools, start ipmi, and try to connect using
ipmitool shell

You may need to install some dell specific drivers as well.

Once in the ipmi shell try commands like
sensor
lan print 0 (print's IPMI controller config)

This works for me on the DRAC 5, haven't tried DRAC4, but it works
on other non dell IPMI systems as well for me.

nate

Cool, this worked from my Windows Laptop to the Dell server, but I see
it's only a very basic info type setup. Do you run any specific software
on your Linux server to give you more control?

I was actually hoping that I could use this as a KVM over IP type thing
to manage the server if there's any OS / software problems, but it
doesn't seem like it could do that.

Old 06-21-2008, 06:18 AM
Rudi Ahlers

Les Mikesell wrote:

Rudi Ahlers wrote:

[...]

Thanx, that link was very helpful. I see they mention the word KVM, but
I doubt it will give me a full "Keyboard / Video / Mouse" as a KVMoverIP
device would, or am I wrong? I would basically like to access the server
remotely, as with a KVMoverIP device if there's any problems with the
OS, like a kernel update that ran into problems, or something like that.
Is it possible with these, out of your experience, or not?

Dell's site is just too big for me to get any proper answers on this matter

Old 06-21-2008, 10:02 AM
"nate"

Rudi Ahlers wrote:

> Cool, this worked from my Windows Laptop to the Dell server, but I see
> it's only a very basic info type setup. Do you run any specific software
> on your Linux server to give you more control?
>
> I was actually hoping that I could use this as a KVM over IP type thing
> to manage the server if there's any OS / software problems, but it
> doesn't seem like it could do that.

Most IPMI implimentations support serial over LAN, basically a virtual
serial port for a serial console. For a linux system this works fine,
you just need to figure out which serial port to point your system
to. Basically the same as KVM over IP just text mode only.

Some management systems have additional options which include full
VGA KVM abilities, I have a demo Dell box with DRAC 5 which has this
ability though I haven't been able to get it to work. HP systems
have this ability as well but require an additional ~$300 license
add on(iLO Advanced), whereas remote serial console is free. That
and the remote KVM stuff usually requires a browser or a special
client, whereas remote serial console can be done in text mode
(the before mentioned system running DRAC5 allows me to SSH into
it and connect to the serial console that way).

nate

Old 06-21-2008, 02:58 PM
John R Pierce

nate wrote:

Some management systems have additional options which include full
VGA KVM abilities, I have a demo Dell box with DRAC 5 which has this
ability though I haven't been able to get it to work. HP systems
have this ability as well but require an additional ~$300 license
add on(iLO Advanced), whereas remote serial console is free. That
and the remote KVM stuff usually requires a browser or a special
client, whereas remote serial console can be done in text mode
(the before mentioned system running DRAC5 allows me to SSH into
it and connect to the serial console that way).

DRAC 4 or 5 remote console shoudl work just fine, I've used it quite
regularlly... the client needs a web browser with java 1.4 or 1.5
enabled as they use a java VNC implementation to 'remote' the ATI
VGA. this gives you a remote CD and floppy as well as graphical
VGA. the remote CD can either be the client systems actual CD drive,
or it can be an ISO file.

Old 06-21-2008, 04:01 PM
Les Mikesell

Rudi Ahlers wrote:

[...]

I haven't used that exact one, but the ones I have seen would download
java applet to a browser that worked like vnc and does what you want.
If you run their openmanage agent you can do it without the management
NIC, but then the OS has to be running and there's not much advantage
over VNC. The management NIC will work across a reboot of the machine.

Dell's site is just too big for me to get any proper answers on this matter

I've found their web support to be excellent if you can get past the
place where they sort out the individual/small/large business users.
Try to find support/downloads and the place where you put in the model
number or their tag number which identifies it completely. Then you go
directly to everything they have for that device, which might be flash
updates, all the manuals, and any utilities they provide. I think they
maintain this for everything they have ever sold.

--
Les Mikesell
lesmikesell@gmail.com