Old 06-20-2008, 12:57 PM
"Rob Lines"

Default Command line logging program suggestions?

I am looking for an app that would run from the terminal and would emulate a bash shell (or pass everything to the shell) that would allow me to set a log file and then record all my input and the output to the screen from the commands.* As an added bonus if it would allow me to run it from two terminals (or more) on the same machine and log all the input and output to the same file while still displaying it on the screen that would be great.* The goal being that when making changes or diagnosing a problem it can sometimes become hard to tell what command came when especially when you have more than one termial session open.* While using putty with a really large buffer helps it doesn't deal well with the two terminal issue or disconnected sessions.

Anyone know of an app like this or any suggestions that could be added to my bashrc to provide the functionality?

Thanks,
Rob

Old 06-20-2008, 01:02 PM
Sergey Podushkin

Hi!

Rob Lines wrote:
I am looking for an app that would run from the terminal and would
emulate a bash shell (or pass everything to the shell) that would allow
me to set a log file and then record all my input and the output to the
screen from the commands. As an added bonus if it would allow me to run
it from two terminals (or more) on the same machine and log all the
input and output to the same file while still displaying it on the
screen that would be great. The goal being that when making changes or
diagnosing a problem it can sometimes become hard to tell what command
came when especially when you have more than one termial session open.
While using putty with a really large buffer helps it doesn't deal well
with the two terminal issue or disconnected sessions.

Anyone know of an app like this or any suggestions that could be added
to my bashrc to provide the functionality?

old and mature "screen".
You can share console with anybody you want, you can log everything to
logfile and do whatever you want, 'cause you still in plain shell.

With best regards, Sergey.

Old 06-20-2008, 01:06 PM
"Matt Shields"

[...]

I recently need something similar, but wanted everything sent to a remote syslog server.* A friend of my suggested install rootsh or sudosu as the shell and wrap it in a script that pipes everything to syslog using a script like this http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/a/sysadmin/2006/10/12/httpd-syslog.html

I haven't had time to set it up, but it seems like it could work.* If you didn't want remote syslog, just pipe it to a local file.

--
-matt

Old 06-20-2008, 01:18 PM
Walid

[...]

*
Hi Rob,
*
screen as already mentioned, also script, and if you are doing it to monitor other activities other than yours ttysnoop http://freshmeat.net/projects/ttysnoop/, for putty there is tabbed putty btw @ http://puttycm.free.fr/

*
regards
*
Walid

Old 06-20-2008, 02:16 PM
"nate"

Rob Lines wrote:

> Anyone know of an app like this or any suggestions that could be added to my
> bashrc to provide the functionality?

I use script for this purpose

from the manpage:
Script makes a typescript of everything printed on your terminal.
It is useful for students who need a hardcopy record
of an interactive session as proof of an assignment, as the
typescript file can be printed out later with lpr(1).

nate

Old 06-20-2008, 02:24 PM
"Rob Lines"

screen as already mentioned, also script, and if you are doing it to monitor other activities other than yours ttysnoop http://freshmeat.net/projects/ttysnoop/, for putty there is tabbed putty btw @ http://puttycm.free.fr/

*
regards
*
Walid

I will take a look at screen though it will probably take some getting used to with how it seems to handle <tab>.* The main goal was to help keep better track of changes made while troubleshooting issues without having to write down each command and change by hand.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Rob

Old 06-20-2008, 02:40 PM
Tru Huynh

On Fri, Jun 20, 2008 at 10:24:52AM -0400, Rob Lines wrote:

> I will take a look at screen though it will probably take some getting used
> to with how it seems to handle <tab>. The main goal was to help keep better
> track of changes made while troubleshooting issues without having to write
> down each command and change by hand.

my 2 cents tips:

screen -x (see http://meinit.nl/share-screens-with-gnu-screen)
+ ctrl-A H for logging