FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > CentOS > CentOS

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 06-20-2008, 12:41 PM
Anne Wilson
 
Default OT: Web page and firefox problem

I have been asked to put a club's membership form on their web, but firefox
displays it as scaled to 23% and it prints at that scale. Can anyone tell me
why? Thanks

Anne
_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 06-20-2008, 12:58 PM
Phil Schaffner
 
Default OT: Web page and firefox problem

On Fri, 2008-06-20 at 13:41 +0100, Anne Wilson wrote:
> I have been asked to put a club's membership form on their web, but firefox
> displays it as scaled to 23% and it prints at that scale. Can anyone tell me
> why? Thanks
>
Anne,

Don't know, but it might help to know what format you are using for the
document - HTML, PDF, JPEG, PNG, ...

Phil



_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 06-20-2008, 12:59 PM
Matt Harwood
 
Default OT: Web page and firefox problem

Hi Anne



Hope you don't mind me butting in on this (as a newbie round here!).



If you would like to provide a URL for the page I'd be more than
willing to take a look at it for you.



Thanks!



Matt
Harwood

Designer, NannyGroup Limited

Mob: 07887 817769








Anne Wilson wrote:

I have been asked to put a club's membership form on their web, but firefox
displays it as scaled to 23% and it prints at that scale. Can anyone tell me
why? Thanks

Anne
_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos




_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 06-20-2008, 02:42 PM
Anne Wilson
 
Default OT: Web page and firefox problem

On Friday 20 June 2008 13:58:25 Phil Schaffner wrote:
> On Fri, 2008-06-20 at 13:41 +0100, Anne Wilson wrote:
> > I have been asked to put a club's membership form on their web, but
> > firefox displays it as scaled to 23% and it prints at that scale. Can
> > anyone tell me why? Thanks
>
> Anne,
>
> Don't know, but it might help to know what format you are using for the
> document - HTML, PDF, JPEG, PNG, ...
>
I've fixed it by uploading a pdf instead of the original jpg, but I'd dearly
like to know why firefox thought it should be scaled like that.

Anne
_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 06-20-2008, 02:44 PM
Anne Wilson
 
Default OT: Web page and firefox problem

On Friday 20 June 2008 13:59:27 Matt Harwood wrote:
> Hi Anne
>
> Hope you don't mind me butting in on this (as a newbie round here!).
>
> If you would like to provide a URL for the page I'd be more than willing
> to take a look at it for you.
>
Thanks for the offer, Matt, but I don't know whether the change I've made will
obscure what was happening. It shouldn't, I've just replaced a jpg with a
pdf and changed the link url. Still, if you can see anything that gives a
clue I'd be really pleased. The launching page is
http://eastpenninekoi-club.co.uk/membership.html

Anne
_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 06-20-2008, 03:04 PM
"Bart Schaefer"
 
Default OT: Web page and firefox problem

On Fri, Jun 20, 2008 at 7:42 AM, Anne Wilson <cannewilson@googlemail.com> wrote:
> I've fixed it by uploading a pdf instead of the original jpg, but I'd dearly
> like to know why firefox thought it should be scaled like that.

Apparently the justification for this is that it makes Firefox work
better on PDAs and other small-screen devices. Firefox3 introduced
"automatic image scaling" which IE has had for some years. Here's a
post where someone describes his frustration with image scaling in IE7
(at least as far as I know Firefox doesn't get confused by DPI
settings):

http://weblogs.java.net/blog/chet/archive/2006/10/get_the_artifac.html

What annoys me about this in FF3 is that the feature is on by default
and the standard preferences dialog doesn't offer a way to disable it.
Instead you have to go into about:config as described here:

http://www.tipstrs.com/tip/683/Scaling-image-in-Firefox

Of course this doesn't help page designers who can't tell whether
their visitor's browser has scaling enabled or not.
_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 06-20-2008, 03:12 PM
"Bart Schaefer"
 
Default OT: Web page and firefox problem

On Fri, Jun 20, 2008 at 8:04 AM, Bart Schaefer
<barton.schaefer@gmail.com> wrote:
> Apparently the justification for this is that it makes Firefox work
> better on PDAs and other small-screen devices. Firefox3 introduced
> "automatic image scaling"

Before someone else corrects me: Yes, I just realized this has
actually been around for a while before FF3. In fact it was more like
FF1.4. I believe the algorithm changed some in FF3.

The point about the configuration setting being buried is still valid, I think.
_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 06-20-2008, 03:31 PM
"Akemi Yagi"
 
Default OT: Web page and firefox problem

On Fri, Jun 20, 2008 at 8:12 AM, Bart Schaefer
<barton.schaefer@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 20, 2008 at 8:04 AM, Bart Schaefer
> <barton.schaefer@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Apparently the justification for this is that it makes Firefox work
>> better on PDAs and other small-screen devices. Firefox3 introduced
>> "automatic image scaling"
>
> Before someone else corrects me: Yes, I just realized this has
> actually been around for a while before FF3. In fact it was more like
> FF1.4. I believe the algorithm changed some in FF3.
>
> The point about the configuration setting being buried is still valid, I think.

Wouldn't this do the trick?

View -> Zoom -> check Zoom Text Only

Akemi
_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 06-20-2008, 03:44 PM
Anne Wilson
 
Default OT: Web page and firefox problem

On Friday 20 June 2008 16:04:27 Bart Schaefer wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 20, 2008 at 7:42 AM, Anne Wilson <cannewilson@googlemail.com>
wrote:
> > I've fixed it by uploading a pdf instead of the original jpg, but I'd
> > dearly like to know why firefox thought it should be scaled like that.
>
> Apparently the justification for this is that it makes Firefox work
> better on PDAs and other small-screen devices. Firefox3 introduced
> "automatic image scaling" which IE has had for some years. Here's a
> post where someone describes his frustration with image scaling in IE7
> (at least as far as I know Firefox doesn't get confused by DPI
> settings):
>
> http://weblogs.java.net/blog/chet/archive/2006/10/get_the_artifac.html
>
> What annoys me about this in FF3 is that the feature is on by default
> and the standard preferences dialog doesn't offer a way to disable it.
> Instead you have to go into about:config as described here:
>
> http://www.tipstrs.com/tip/683/Scaling-image-in-Firefox
>
> Of course this doesn't help page designers who can't tell whether
> their visitor's browser has scaling enabled or not.
>
In fact it makes for a real mess. Hopefully these days everyone has some sort
of pdf reader, so that's going to have to be the solution, but it's far from
idea. No application should be making decisions for me unless I ask it to.
If I want to use such a settings, say for the EeePC, then I, as the user,
should enable it. This is absolutely crazy.

Thanks for pointing me to that blog. It certainly explains what's happening.

Anne
_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 06-20-2008, 03:46 PM
Anne Wilson
 
Default OT: Web page and firefox problem

On Friday 20 June 2008 16:31:36 Akemi Yagi wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 20, 2008 at 8:12 AM, Bart Schaefer
>
> <barton.schaefer@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Fri, Jun 20, 2008 at 8:04 AM, Bart Schaefer
> >
> > <barton.schaefer@gmail.com> wrote:
> >> Apparently the justification for this is that it makes Firefox work
> >> better on PDAs and other small-screen devices. Firefox3 introduced
> >> "automatic image scaling"
> >
> > Before someone else corrects me: Yes, I just realized this has
> > actually been around for a while before FF3. In fact it was more like
> > FF1.4. I believe the algorithm changed some in FF3.
> >
> > The point about the configuration setting being buried is still valid, I
> > think.
>
> Wouldn't this do the trick?
>
> View -> Zoom -> check Zoom Text Only
>
The whole point, Akemi, is that the user shouldn't have to do anything to see
what I specified. He should only have to make changes if he wants to see it
differently.

Anne

_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 09:17 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org