Old 06-20-2008, 08:48 PM
"nate"

Default Kernel panic - not syncing: CPU context corrupt

Richard Karhuse wrote:

> Dag's Repo has the new memtest86+ 2.01 RPM. I'd pull it and
> let it run overnight. While memtest86+ is good, I've recently had
> cases where is didn't find (obvious) memory errors.

My favorite test is cerberus(ctcs). Quite a few OEMs out there
use it to burn in their systems. For me it can typically find a problem
within a few hours. Whereas memtest I've let it run for a week and have
it not find anything useful.

Though the results of cerberus sometimes won't help you pinpoint the
problem(often the result is just a machine crash). But at least you
know there is an issue and can start swapping hardware until it's
fixed(or just replace the whole system).

http://sourceforge.net/projects/va-ctcs/

nate

Old 06-20-2008, 08:57 PM
"Lanny Marcus"

On 6/20/08, Alwin Roosen <alwin.roosen@webline.be> wrote:
<snip>
> This is a brand new server, which has been tested for days with FreeBSD
> in our office, and a few days with Windows on the site of our hardware
> distributor. Now customer wants CentOS, which we installed, but after
> few days we get a kernel panic. Last night at 2:08 it gave the same
> kernel panic.

The fact that it worked OK, the first few days, with FreeBSD and
Windows, may have been a Burn In test and now something in the HW has
failed or is failing. Or, possibly CentOS is utilizing the HW much
more robustly than the other 2 OS did?

I would suggest that you get a Knoppix Live CD, or, preferably, a
CentOS Live CD, and let it roll.

And, you get a Kernel Panic, after_ a_ few_ days, on CentOS. That
might indicate a Memory problem? Or, a Cooling problem?

> ws174 login: CPU 1: Machine Check Exception: 0000000000000005
> CPU 0: Machine Check Exception: 0000000000000004
> Bank 3: f62000020002010a at 0000000032c93500
> Bank 5: f20000300c000e0f
> Kernel panic - not syncing: CPU context corrupt
> Bank 3: f62000020002010a

Two banks of Memory (3 and 5) have problems?

If the RAM tests OK, suggest you swap the motherboard

Old 06-20-2008, 10:34 PM
"William L. Maltby"

On Fri, 2008-06-20 at 15:57 -0500, Lanny Marcus wrote:
> On 6/20/08, Alwin Roosen <alwin.roosen@webline.be> wrote:
> <snip>
> ><snip>

> > ws174 login: CPU 1: Machine Check Exception: 0000000000000005
> > CPU 0: Machine Check Exception: 0000000000000004
> > Bank 3: f62000020002010a at 0000000032c93500
> > Bank 5: f20000300c000e0f
> > Kernel panic - not syncing: CPU context corrupt
> > Bank 3: f62000020002010a
>
> Two banks of Memory (3 and 5) have problems?
>
> If the RAM tests OK, suggest you swap the motherboard

IIRC, you have memory interleaved? I've had problems with that, in the
past, on ... an acer? Anyway, if so, try turning it off in the BIOS
setup.

Also, make sure you have the latest BIOS for the mainboard.

> <snip sig stuff>

HTH
--
Bill

Old 06-20-2008, 11:08 PM
"Lanny Marcus"

On 6/20/08, Alwin Roosen <alwin.roosen@webline.be> wrote:

> This is a brand new server, which has been tested for days with FreeBSD
> in our office, and a few days with Windows on the site of our hardware
> distributor. Now customer wants CentOS, which we installed, but after
> few days we get a kernel panic. Last night at 2:08 it gave the same
> kernel panic.

Have you checked to verify that the fans are spinning?

Since it is a new system, I think you should take it back to your HW
distributor and have them run cerberus(ctcs) on it, as Richard Karhuse
wrote.

If it takes a few days for it to get the Kernel Panic, I doubt that is
related to the OS.

Let your HW distributor do the work of troubleshooting and replacing
whatever component(s) are faulty. They can get a CentOS Live CD and
run that on it.

Old 06-20-2008, 11:20 PM
John R Pierce

William L. Maltby wrote:

ws174 login: CPU 1: Machine Check Exception: 0000000000000005
CPU 0: Machine Check Exception: 0000000000000004
Bank 3: f62000020002010a at 0000000032c93500
Bank 5: f20000300c000e0f
Kernel panic - not syncing: CPU context corrupt
Bank 3: f62000020002010a

Two banks of Memory (3 and 5) have problems?

If the RAM tests OK, suggest you swap the motherboard

IIRC, you have memory interleaved? I've had problems with that, in the
past, on ... an acer? Anyway, if so, try turning it off in the BIOS
setup.

Also, make sure you have the latest BIOS for the mainboard.

I'm pretty sure those 'banks' mentioned in that error relate to the
on-CPU cache, and not to motherboard main RAM.

any ECC in a MACHINE CHECK is likely CACHE ecc, not main memory ECC.