FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > CentOS > CentOS

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 06-20-2008, 09:41 AM
Johnny Hughes
 
Default New convert

Matt Harwood wrote:

All,

Apologies for cluttering the list, but I just wanted to say hello and
prepare all for a barage of silly discussions from a tech-hypochondriac!
We have recently purchased two servers running CentOS, and as I'm from
more of a Debian based background, it would be good if someone could
point out the two or three main differences please?


There are different run levels for CentOS (3 is CLI mode, 5 is GUI mode)
than Debian.


Package management is different, as you say below. Here is a guide for yum:
http://www.centos.org/docs/5/html/yum/


I'm reading up on
the package management as I type, but any quick tips and tricks for
(web) server admin with CentOS would be magic.


Also read up on SELinux.

I have only done minor things on Debian so I can't offer much more than
that


CentOS docs:
http://www.centos.org/docs/

_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 06-20-2008, 09:41 AM
Lorenzo Quatrini
 
Default New convert

Matt Harwood ha scritto:

All,

Apologies for cluttering the list, but I just wanted to say hello and
prepare all for a barage of silly discussions from a tech-hypochondriac!
We have recently purchased two servers running CentOS, and as I'm from
more of a Debian based background, it would be good if someone could
point out the two or three main differences please? I'm reading up on
the package management as I type, but any quick tips and tricks for
(web) server admin with CentOS would be magic.


Sorry for being cheeky! Hope everyone is well, too.


Well, Welcome

My 2 cents:

1) "yum list all > yla && yum info all > yia" for offline searching and info
reading of packages


2) "grep system-config yla" and you'll find the main tools for configuring the
system


3) Setup the priorities
"http://wiki.centos.org/PackageManagement/Yum/Priorities" and add new
repository
"http://wiki.centos.org/AdditionalResources/Repositories?action=show&redirect=Repositories"


4) http://wiki.centos.org

5) google

99) when anything else fails: ask this list

Regards

Lorenzo Quatrini
_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 06-20-2008, 09:52 AM
Matt Harwood
 
Default New convert

Thank you Johnny and Lorenzo! Much, much
appreciated. I do feel silly just asking for general advice, and not
Googling (I am, but time is restricted) but I need to get up to speed
using CentOS instead of Deb ASAP.. as our servers are deployed next
week. Thank you so much again, I shall get reading!


Matt
Harwood

Designer, NannyGroup Limited

Mob: 07887 817769








Lorenzo Quatrini wrote:
Matt Harwood
ha scritto:


All,




Apologies for cluttering the list, but I just wanted to say hello and
prepare all for a barage of silly discussions from a
tech-hypochondriac! We have recently purchased two servers running
CentOS, and as I'm from more of a Debian based background, it would be
good if someone could point out the two or three main differences
please? I'm reading up on the package management as I type, but any
quick tips and tricks for (web) server admin with CentOS would be
magic.




Sorry for being cheeky! Hope everyone is well, too.





Well, Welcome




My 2 cents:




1) "yum list all > yla && yum info all > yia" for offline
searching and info reading of packages




2) "grep system-config yla" and you'll find the main tools for
configuring the system




3) Setup the priorities
"http://wiki.centos.org/PackageManagement/Yum/Priorities" and add new
repository
"http://wiki.centos.org/AdditionalResources/Repositories?action="">




4) http://wiki.centos.org




5) google




99) when anything else fails: ask this list




Regards




Lorenzo Quatrini


_______________________________________________


CentOS mailing list


CentOS@centos.org


http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos





_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 06-20-2008, 10:36 AM
Dunc
 
Default New convert

Matt Harwood wrote:
Thank you Johnny and Lorenzo! Much, much appreciated. I do feel silly
just asking for general advice, and not Googling (I am, but time is
restricted) but I need to get up to speed using CentOS instead of Deb
ASAP.. as our servers are deployed next week. Thank you so much again,
I shall get reading!


*Matt Harwood*
Designer, NannyGroup Limited
Mob: 07887 817769




First hint would not be to post your mobile number on a public list!

Dunc
_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 06-20-2008, 10:53 AM
Anne Wilson
 
Default New convert

On Friday 20 June 2008 10:52:49 Matt Harwood wrote:
> Thank you Johnny and Lorenzo! Much, much appreciated. I do feel silly
> just asking for general advice, and not Googling (I am, but time is
> restricted) but I need to get up to speed using CentOS instead of Deb
> ASAP.. as our servers are deployed next week. Thank you so much again, I
> shall get reading!

As you probably realise, you can usually get a speedy response from the list,
if you find yourself stuck.

Anne
_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 06-20-2008, 11:00 AM
Matt Harwood
 
Default New convert

Dunc and Anne,



Thanks for your replies! Yes it certainly seems a nice, active list.



As for my mobile number, I've no problems sharing it - it's not my
personal one anyway :-)



Thanks again!



Matt
Harwood

Designer, NannyGroup Limited

Mob: 07887 817769








Anne Wilson wrote:

On Friday 20 June 2008 10:52:49 Matt Harwood wrote:


Thank you Johnny and Lorenzo! Much, much appreciated. I do feel silly
just asking for general advice, and not Googling (I am, but time is
restricted) but I need to get up to speed using CentOS instead of Deb
ASAP.. as our servers are deployed next week. Thank you so much again, I
shall get reading!



As you probably realise, you can usually get a speedy response from the list,
if you find yourself stuck.

Anne
_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos




_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 06-20-2008, 06:35 PM
MHR
 
Default New convert

On Fri, Jun 20, 2008 at 4:00 AM, Matt Harwood <matt@nannygroup.net> wrote:
> Dunc and Anne,
>
> Thanks for your replies! Yes it certainly seems a nice, active list.
>
> As for my mobile number, I've no problems sharing it - it's not my personal
> one anyway :-)
>

Okay, everyone, ready to dial?

mhr
<RBFG>
_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 01-20-2010, 12:00 PM
Rafiq Hajat
 
Default New convert

I am pleased to report that I've just managed to convert my daughter to
UBUNTU (Karmic) - she's a university student and the prospect for
further proliferation are thus very promising. Hooray!!! Aleuta
continua!!

Rafiq Hajat
Executive Director
The Institute for Policy Interaction (IPI)
P. O. Box E14,
Post Dot Net - Blantyre
Malawi
Mobile: +265 999 968800
www.ipimalawi.org



--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 03:08 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org