Old 06-20-2008, 08:54 AM
"Nigel Kendrick"

Default Mounting Floppies

Hi - daft one for
Friday morning coffee break:
*
I have been trying
to mount floppies on a couple of CentOS5 servers - the usual "mount /dev/fd0
/mnt/floppy" (yes, /mnt/floppy exists!).
*
On both servers, the
mount command just doesn't come back and I have to hit CTRL-C. I have tried
different media and also changed the floppy drive on one server, /dev/fd0 is
seen as present on both servers and they are enabled in the BIOS. I have
formatted and tested the floppies on my desktop PC without
problems.
*
In the end, I gave
up, stuck a USB floppy on one of the boxes and it mounted with no
problems.
*
So is it me, CentOS
5 or something else? (Ideas, anyone!?).*It could be a set of duff floppies
and three flaky drives (two brand new), but I thought I'd
ask*before I spend too much more time on it!
*
Thanks
*
Nigel
Kendrick
*
*
*

Old 06-20-2008, 09:00 AM
Ralph Angenendt

Nigel Kendrick wrote:
> So is it me, CentOS 5 or something else? (Ideas, anyone!?). It could be a
> set of duff floppies and three flaky drives (two brand new), but I thought
> I'd ask before I spend too much more time on it!

As always: Logfile excerpts could have been a great help. Also dmesg
probably has to say something about that >

Ralph

Old 06-20-2008, 09:21 AM
"Nigel Kendrick"

> So is it me, CentOS 5 or something else? (Ideas, anyone!?). It could be a
> set of duff floppies and three flaky drives (two brand new), but I thought
> I'd ask before I spend too much more time on it!

As always: Logfile excerpts could have been a great help. Also dmesg
probably has to say something about that >

Ralph

Oh yes, dmesg is very verbose:

Floppy drive(s): fd0 is 1.44M

Logfile is a little more specific - but not conclusive (apart from the fact
that something's not right) - here's up to when I plugged in and used the
USB floppy:

Jun 19 11:21:51 data01 kernel: Buffer I/O error on device fd0, logical block
0
Jun 19 11:22:14 data01 kernel: floppy0: -- FDC reply errorend_request: I/O
error, dev fd0, sector 0
Jun 19 11:22:14 data01 kernel: Buffer I/O error on device fd0, logical block
0
Jun 19 11:22:32 data01 kernel: floppy0: -- FDC reply errorend_request: I/O
error, dev fd0, sector 0
Jun 19 11:22:51 data01 kernel: floppy0: -- FDC reply errorend_request: I/O
error, dev fd0, sector 2
Jun 19 11:27:24 data01 kernel: floppy0: -- FDC reply errorend_request: I/O
error, dev fd0, sector 0
Jun 19 11:27:39 data01 kernel: floppy0: -- FDC reply errorend_request: I/O
error, dev fd0, sector 0
Jun 19 11:43:22 data01 kernel: Floppy drive(s): fd0 is 1.44M
Jun 19 11:54:01 data01 kernel: sdd:<6>Floppy drive(s): fd0 is 1.44M
Jun 19 15:03:14 data01 kernel: Floppy drive(s): fd0 is 1.44M

Old 06-20-2008, 01:15 PM
"William L. Maltby"

On Fri, 2008-06-20 at 09:54 +0100, Nigel Kendrick wrote:
> Hi - daft one for Friday morning coffee break:
>
> I have been trying to mount floppies on a couple of CentOS5 servers -
> the usual "mount /dev/fd0 /mnt/floppy" (yes, /mnt/floppy exists!).
>
> On both servers, the mount command just doesn't come back and I have
> to hit CTRL-C. I have tried different media and also changed the
> floppy drive on one server, /dev/fd0 is seen as present on both
> servers and they are enabled in the BIOS. I have formatted and tested
> the floppies on my desktop PC without problems.
>
> In the end, I gave up, stuck a USB floppy on one of the boxes and it
> mounted with no problems.
>
> So is it me, CentOS 5 or something else? (Ideas, anyone!?). It could
> be a set of duff floppies and three flaky drives (two brand new), but
> I thought I'd ask before I spend too much more time on it!

Here is support - it may not be you. I've successfully mounted and used
FDs on this system in previous kernel releases.

Out of /var/log messages when I did an sfdisk -l /dev/fd0 and
dd if=/dev/fd0 of=/dev/null count=1.

Jun 20 09:07:54 centos501 kernel: end_request: I/O error, dev fd0, sector 0
Jun 20 09:08:06 centos501 kernel: end_request: I/O error, dev fd0, sector 0
Jun 20 09:08:06 centos501 kernel: Buffer I/O error on device fd0, logical block 0
Jun 20 09:08:18 centos501 kernel: end_request: I/O error, dev fd0, sector 0
Jun 20 09:08:18 centos501 kernel: Buffer I/O error on device fd0, logical block 0

My dmesg has

Floppy drive(s): fd0 is 1.44M
FDC 0 is a post-1991 82077

If necessary (lack of prompt resolution on these lists) I'll "ribit" to
an older kernel and see what happens. I suggest you might try that.

> Thanks
>
> Nigel Kendrick
> <snip sig stuff>

HTH
--
Bill

Old 06-20-2008, 01:54 PM
"Nigel Kendrick"

On Fri, 2008-06-20 at 09:54 +0100, Nigel Kendrick wrote:
> Hi - daft one for Friday morning coffee break:
>
> I have been trying to mount floppies on a couple of CentOS5 servers -
> the usual "mount /dev/fd0 /mnt/floppy" (yes, /mnt/floppy exists!).
>
> On both servers, the mount command just doesn't come back and I have
> to hit CTRL-C. I have tried different media and also changed the
> floppy drive on one server, /dev/fd0 is seen as present on both
> servers and they are enabled in the BIOS. I have formatted and tested
> the floppies on my desktop PC without problems.
>
> In the end, I gave up, stuck a USB floppy on one of the boxes and it
> mounted with no problems.
>
> So is it me, CentOS 5 or something else? (Ideas, anyone!?). It could
> be a set of duff floppies and three flaky drives (two brand new), but
> I thought I'd ask before I spend too much more time on it!

Here is support - it may not be you. I've successfully mounted and used
FDs on this system in previous kernel releases.

Out of /var/log messages when I did an sfdisk -l /dev/fd0 and
dd if=/dev/fd0 of=/dev/null count=1.

Jun 20 09:07:54 centos501 kernel: end_request: I/O error, dev fd0, sector 0
Jun 20 09:08:06 centos501 kernel: end_request: I/O error, dev fd0, sector 0
Jun 20 09:08:06 centos501 kernel: Buffer I/O error on device fd0, logical
block 0
Jun 20 09:08:18 centos501 kernel: end_request: I/O error, dev fd0, sector 0
Jun 20 09:08:18 centos501 kernel: Buffer I/O error on device fd0, logical
block 0

My dmesg has

Floppy drive(s): fd0 is 1.44M
FDC 0 is a post-1991 82077

If necessary (lack of prompt resolution on these lists) I'll "ribit" to
an older kernel and see what happens. I suggest you might try that.

> Thanks
>
> Nigel Kendrick
> <snip sig stuff>

HTH
--
Bill

Thanks Bill,

I've had no problems with older systems too - I just don't have one to play
with here at the moment unless I shut down an Asterisk server and fit a
floppy.

Old 06-20-2008, 04:54 PM
Robert Nichols

[...]

You've tried replacing the drive, and the disk works in your USB floppy drive,
so about all that's left are the cable and the floppy controller on the
motherboard. Probably not much you can do about the latter.

Do NOT delete it.

Old 06-20-2008, 05:54 PM
"William L. Maltby"

On Fri, 2008-06-20 at 14:54 +0100, Nigel Kendrick wrote:

> [...]

Does a "cluebat" look anything like a 6' 2x4? I forgot that last time I
went deep-case diving, I had removed the power connector from the
floppy. I hope that your worst result is that you too need this
"cluebat". :-)

Here is my diagnosis procedure in a little-more-than-required detail.

1. On "ribit", turn on floppy seek in the BIOS setup.
2. Hear silence, observe no floppy light
3. Pause, ... computational analysis by biological computer known to be
more powerful than "Big Blue" (until recently anyway).
4. Upon the dawning of realization, search frantically for misplaced
"cluebat".
5. <*sigh*>
6. Pummel oneself about the ears, severely, with aforementioned tool.
7. Open case, ... well "Now you know the rest of the story" (famous
former radio broadcaster).

The first read attempt failed. Hmmm... Try again, it works. Sounds like
udev may not have finished set up. Anyway...

The confirmation of success was substantially easier. I did find it
interesting that the system recognizes the floppy even with no power.
Must be getting a necessary trickle through the floppy cable.

]# dd if=/dev/fd0 of=/dev/null count=1
1+0 records in
1+0 records out
512 bytes (512 B) copied, 4.4863e-05 seconds, 11.4 MB/s

# mount -t vfat /dev/fd0 /media/floppy/
[root@centos501 ~]# ls -l /media/floppy/
total 0
[root@centos501 ~]# df /media/floppy
/dev/fd0 1424 0 1424 0% /media/floppy

Please let me know if you suffered the same error as I - loneliness
sucks and the list loves a good laugh at our (my, anybody's) expense.

HTH
--
Bill

Old 06-20-2008, 06:02 PM
"William L. Maltby"

On Fri, 2008-06-20 at 11:54 -0500, Robert Nichols wrote:
> Nigel Kendrick wrote:

HAH! Oh ye of little faith! You severely underestimate the number of
creative ways the "hoomon" can befuddle hisself!

Based on experience - NOT mine, of course 8-O - the power cable
mentioned in my other post may be bad, the connectors often are not
keyed and the cable may be backwards on one end or the other, older
re-used cables may have micro-fractures (from overuse of their flexible
properties), the jumpers on the floppy (if present) that select
different operating and configurations may be messed up, ...

Well that's all I can think of at the monument (sic).

HTH
--
Bill

Old 06-23-2008, 01:21 PM
"Nigel Kendrick"

On Fri, 2008-06-20 at 11:54 -0500, Robert Nichols wrote:
> Nigel Kendrick wrote:

...Hm, but you are forgetting I have tried this on two separate machines -
unfortunately both of which have recently been gifted with CentOS 5 where
before they ran 4.x. One of the machines had been sitting idle for about 2
months until I decided to revamp it with bigger drives and install CentOS 5.
For the first install the floppy was working because I used it to install
drivers for the RAID card - just as I was trying to do this time round

...and before you think I may have disturbed the innards, the old/new drives
are in caddies so I only opened up the machine to swap out the floppy drive
when I experienced problems. One server is an Acer G703 and the other has an
Intel dual Xeon board in it so it's not motherboard-related.

Multiple, coincidental failures? Maybe - I think I'll boot the new server on
an old version of Knoppix and see what happens....

Old 06-23-2008, 09:50 PM
"William L. Maltby"

On Mon, 2008-06-23 at 14:21 +0100, Nigel Kendrick wrote:

> [...]

Nope. I was just pointing out to Ralph that we can still goof it up many
other ways.

> unfortunately both of which have recently been gifted with CentOS 5 where
> before they ran 4.x. One of the machines had been sitting idle for about 2
> months until I decided to revamp it with bigger drives and install CentOS 5.
> For the first install the floppy was working because I used it to install
> drivers for the RAID card - just as I was trying to do this time round
>
> ...and before you think I may have disturbed the innards, the old/new drives
> are in caddies so I only opened up the machine to swap out the floppy drive
> when I experienced problems. One server is an Acer G703 and the other has an
> Intel dual Xeon board in it so it's not motherboard-related.

In all honesty, I made no assumptions. Just heaving out some ideas that
might spark the thought that yields a solution.

> Multiple, coincidental failures? Maybe - I think I'll boot the new server on
> an old version of Knoppix and see what happens....

Sorry you didn't get it going. I'm beginning to wonder if there is a
kernel parameter in grub that is affecting this? Or, since you mention
xen in your other post, was it involved? BIOS? I know in real UNIX, the
BIOS used to be essentially ignored. I'm not sure if Linux depends more
on it (my gut feeling is that it does) and maybe it's affected by a BIOS
setting? Of course, that would indicate that the others you mention ran
successfully in you other post have a different discovery process going
on. Chances: slim-to-none?

I only keep wondering since mine worked fine once I gave it some power.

I see you won't be chasing this, so I hope someone with more knowledge
pursues this.

I'm glad you got an acceptable solution for your needs though.

--
Bill