Old 06-20-2008, 07:41 AM
"Luigi Perroti"

Default A couple of security questions

Hello, I'd like to ask a couple of things:

1) I would like to move from Debian to CentOS.
One thing I will probably miss is the debsecan tool.
This utility sends me a mail whenever there is a change regarding the
vulnerabilities' status on my system.
It lists new ones, resolved ones and current ones.

Is there anything similar for CentOS?

2) I read that RHEL packages are compiled with various security
technologies including Exec Shield, FORTIFY_SOURCE and
fstack-protector.

Does this apply to CentOS too?

Thanks!

Regards,
Luigi

Old 06-20-2008, 08:59 AM
Ralph Angenendt

Luigi Perroti wrote:
> One thing I will probably miss is the debsecan tool.
> This utility sends me a mail whenever there is a change regarding the
> vulnerabilities' status on my system.
> It lists new ones, resolved ones and current ones.
>
> Is there anything similar for CentOS?

Not yet (there is a security-updates plugin for yum which we try to
incorporate).

> 2) I read that RHEL packages are compiled with various security
> technologies including Exec Shield, FORTIFY_SOURCE and
> fstack-protector.
>
> Does this apply to CentOS too?

Of course >

Cheers,

Ralph

Old 06-20-2008, 06:13 PM
Scott Silva

on 6-20-2008 12:41 AM Luigi Perroti spake the following:

Hello, I'd like to ask a couple of things:

1) I would like to move from Debian to CentOS.
One thing I will probably miss is the debsecan tool.
This utility sends me a mail whenever there is a change regarding the
vulnerabilities' status on my system.
It lists new ones, resolved ones and current ones.

Is there anything similar for CentOS?

Right now the closest thing you will get is the Centos-announce list.
But stay tuned...

--
MailScanner is like deodorant...
You hope everybody uses it, and

Old 06-20-2008, 07:13 PM
Stephen Harris

On Fri, Jun 20, 2008 at 11:13:39AM -0700, Scott Silva wrote:
> on 6-20-2008 12:41 AM Luigi Perroti spake the following:
> >Hello, I'd like to ask a couple of things:
> >
> >1) I would like to move from Debian to CentOS.
> >One thing I will probably miss is the debsecan tool.
> >This utility sends me a mail whenever there is a change regarding the
> >vulnerabilities' status on my system.
> >It lists new ones, resolved ones and current ones.
> >
> >Is there anything similar for CentOS?
> >
> Right now the closest thing you will get is the Centos-announce list.
> But stay tuned...

If you have access to the repositories...

yum -d 0 check-update

maybe?

--

rgds
Stephen

Old 06-25-2008, 01:16 PM
kalinix

On Fri, 2008-06-20 at 15:13 -0400, Stephen Harris wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 20, 2008 at 11:13:39AM -0700, Scott Silva wrote:
> > on 6-20-2008 12:41 AM Luigi Perroti spake the following:
> > >Hello, I'd like to ask a couple of things:
> > >
> > >1) I would like to move from Debian to CentOS.
> > >One thing I will probably miss is the debsecan tool.
> > >This utility sends me a mail whenever there is a change regarding the
> > >vulnerabilities' status on my system.
> > >It lists new ones, resolved ones and current ones.
> > >
> > >Is there anything similar for CentOS?
> > >
> > Right now the closest thing you will get is the Centos-announce list.
> > But stay tuned...
>
> If you have access to the repositories...
>
> yum -d 0 check-update
>
> maybe?

Just saw and installed yum-security on CentOS 5.x on i386. I think this
is what you're looking for.

Calin

Old 06-25-2008, 02:58 PM
Ralph Angenendt

kalinix wrote:
> Just saw and installed yum-security on CentOS 5.x on i386. I think this
> is what you're looking for.

Had you tried it before posting your mail you would have found out that
it errors out with:

Skipping security plugin, no data

Ralph

Old 06-25-2008, 04:02 PM
kalinix

On Wed, 2008-06-25 at 16:58 +0200, Ralph Angenendt wrote:
> kalinix wrote:
> > Just saw and installed yum-security on CentOS 5.x on i386. I think this
> > is what you're looking for.
>
> Had you tried it before posting your mail you would have found out that
> it errors out with:
>
> Skipping security plugin, no data
>
> Ralph

Actually I did; (un)fortunately I had my systems up to date.

Try yum --security check-update

Calin