-   -   lvm with iscsi devices on boot (http://www.linux-archive.org/centos/109858-lvm-iscsi-devices-boot.html)

"Raja Subramanian" 06-19-2008 06:42 PM

lvm with iscsi devices on boot

Hi All,

My CentOS 5.1 server is using iSCSI attached disks connecting
to a dual controller storage array. I have also configured multipathd
to manage the multiple paths. Everything works well, and on
boot the dev nodes are automatically created in /dev/mapper.
On these devices, I have created logical volumes using lvm2.

My problem is that lvm does not recognize these iscsi/multipath
volumes on boot up. I need to manually run "vgchange -ay"
and mount the logical volumes by hand.

I tried running the vgchange and mount commands from
/etc/rc.local, but that has no effect. I have verified that
/etc/rc.local itself is executing correctly.

What do I need to put in my boot up scripts so logical volumes
in iscsi/multipathd devices are automatically recognized on boot?

TIA!

- Raja

Scott Silva 06-19-2008 06:48 PM

lvm with iscsi devices on boot

on 6-19-2008 11:42 AM Raja Subramanian spake the following:

Hi All,

My CentOS 5.1 server is using iSCSI attached disks connecting
to a dual controller storage array. I have also configured multipathd
to manage the multiple paths. Everything works well, and on
boot the dev nodes are automatically created in /dev/mapper.
On these devices, I have created logical volumes using lvm2.

My problem is that lvm does not recognize these iscsi/multipath
volumes on boot up. I need to manually run "vgchange -ay"
and mount the logical volumes by hand.

I tried running the vgchange and mount commands from
/etc/rc.local, but that has no effect. I have verified that
/etc/rc.local itself is executing correctly.

What do I need to put in my boot up scripts so logical volumes
in iscsi/multipathd devices are automatically recognized on boot?

TIA!

- Raja
LVM initialization is fairly early in the init. It is probably running long
before your iscsi connector is starting. Maybe you could try moving its
startup earlier?

--
MailScanner is like deodorant...
You hope everybody uses it, and

"Ross S. W. Walker" 06-19-2008 07:34 PM

Raja Subramanian wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> My CentOS 5.1 server is using iSCSI attached disks connecting
> to a dual controller storage array. I have also configured multipathd
> to manage the multiple paths. Everything works well, and on
> boot the dev nodes are automatically created in /dev/mapper.
> On these devices, I have created logical volumes using lvm2.
>
> My problem is that lvm does not recognize these iscsi/multipath
> volumes on boot up. I need to manually run "vgchange -ay"
> and mount the logical volumes by hand.
>
> I tried running the vgchange and mount commands from
> /etc/rc.local, but that has no effect. I have verified that
> /etc/rc.local itself is executing correctly.
>
> What do I need to put in my boot up scripts so logical volumes
> in iscsi/multipathd devices are automatically recognized on boot?

Check out: http://people.redhat.com/mchristi/iscsi/RHEL4/doc/readme

I think the key here is to add the _netdev option in fstab for
those filesystems over iSCSI, even using LVM.

-Ross

"Raja Subramanian" 06-22-2008 08:09 AM

lvm with iscsi devices on boot

On Fri, Jun 20, 2008 at 1:04 AM, Ross S. W. Walker
<RWalker@medallion.com> wrote:
> I think the key here is to add the _netdev option in fstab for
> those filesystems over iSCSI, even using LVM.

I got a chance to reboot the server this weekend and happy
to report that my iscsi/multipath/lvm volumes are discovered
and automatically mounting on boot.

It worked! Thanks :-)

- Raja

"Ross S. W. Walker" 06-23-2008 01:14 PM

lvm with iscsi devices on boot

Title: Re: [CentOS] lvm with iscsi devices on boot

Excellent!

Glad it's working for you.