-   -   What will the upgrade to 5.2 be like? (http://www.linux-archive.org/centos/109660-what-will-upgrade-5-2-like.html)

Robert Moskowitz 06-19-2008 12:37 PM

What will the upgrade to 5.2 be like?

I have a few servers that I really have to build already. Got to buckle
down and get it done; no more waiting for 5.2 as a 'reason' to put it
off for another day.

I will be building a local repository for 5.2 as soon as the ISOs are
posted (well as soon as my 768Kb DSL link will allow), so what am I
looking at for the 'cost' of the upgrade?

Johnny Hughes 06-19-2008 12:44 PM

Robert Moskowitz wrote:
I have a few servers that I really have to build already. Got to buckle
down and get it done; no more waiting for 5.2 as a 'reason' to put it
off for another day.

I will be building a local repository for 5.2 as soon as the ISOs are
posted (well as soon as my 768Kb DSL link will allow), so what am I
looking at for the 'cost' of the upgrade?

5.2 should be here by Monday(6/23) or Tuesday(6/24)

"Rob Townley" 06-19-2008 05:31 PM

What will the upgrade to 5.2 be like?

I have a few servers that I really have to build already. *Got to buckle down and get it done; no more waiting for 5.2 as a 'reason' to put it off for another day.

I will be building a local repository for 5.2 as soon as the ISOs are posted (well as soon as my 768Kb DSL link will allow), so what am I looking at for the 'cost' of the upgrade?

5.2 should be here by Monday(6/23) or Tuesday(6/24)

Will likewise-open and the likewise-open-gui be available in a repository?** If not, how would one go about getting it added?

Scott Silva 06-19-2008 06:28 PM

What will the upgrade to 5.2 be like?

on 6-19-2008 5:37 AM Robert Moskowitz spake the following:
I have a few servers that I really have to build already. Got to buckle
down and get it done; no more waiting for 5.2 as a 'reason' to put it
off for another day.

I will be building a local repository for 5.2 as soon as the ISOs are
posted (well as soon as my 768Kb DSL link will allow), so what am I
looking at for the 'cost' of the upgrade?
Your breath will suddenly be minty fresh, your hair will grow back, you will
lose weight and gain muscle mass, even your "lower regions" will become
bigger. For women, your hips will firm and your belly will be flat. You will
look 10 years younger and feel 20 years younger!

You will be the envy of your peers!

Now seriously;

What do you mean by "cost". If you mirror the upstream release, that should be
your biggest bandwidth usage. Then point your servers at your local repo and
"yum update".

Then probably a reboot as there is a new kernel release.
--
MailScanner is like deodorant...
You hope everybody uses it, and

"nate" 06-19-2008 06:45 PM

Robert Moskowitz wrote:
> I have a few servers that I really have to build already. Got to buckle
> down and get it done; no more waiting for 5.2 as a 'reason' to put it
> off for another day.
>
> I will be building a local repository for 5.2 as soon as the ISOs are
> posted (well as soon as my 768Kb DSL link will allow), so what am I
> looking at for the 'cost' of the upgrade?

The cost depends on what you need to do to support the distribution,
which depends on your needs. For me I just started at a new company
a few months ago who standardized on RHEL 4.x. I'm just starting to
prepare CentOS 5.1 for use, it takes me about 3-4 days of work
preparing our environment to support a new major release. Lots of
custom RPMs, custom configurations etc. Though when CentOS 5.2 comes
out the work will be minimal, probably 2-3 hours. At least at this
company, the bulk of the load is run in Java which is easy to
deploy. My last company ran the bulk of the stuff in Ruby on Rails,
and there was a good 35 RPMs I had to build to support each
version/architecture just for Ruby. The package management in Ruby
sucks so I turned all of the ruby packages into RPMs.

You don't give any indication what version your using now(if any),
or what your using the systems for, so I think it's impossible to
answer the question without more information.

nate

"Lanny Marcus" 06-19-2008 07:25 PM

What will the upgrade to 5.2 be like?

On 6/19/08, Johnny Hughes <johnny@centos.org> wrote:
<snip>
> 5.2 should be here by Monday(6/23) or Tuesday(6/24)

I'm looking forward to upgrading to 5.2! If for nothing else, for
the newer version of Mozilla Firefox. The current version (1.5.0.12)
crashes, very frequently, at web sites I use. The brain dead version
of Konqueror (3.5.4-15) is much more stable than this version of
Firefox. Everyone will, hopefully, BACKUP, before they do this
upgrade!

"Rob Townley" 06-19-2008 07:57 PM

What will the upgrade to 5.2 be like?

Why do distributions put in very old versions of Firefox - 1.5** when 2.0 has been out for a year or more and 3.0 was just released.

"Lanny Marcus" 06-19-2008 08:08 PM

On 6/19/08, Rob Townley <rob.townley@gmail.com> wrote:
> Why do distributions put in very old versions of Firefox - 1.5 when 2.0
> has been out for a year or more and 3.0 was just released.
><snip>
Rob: This distribution, is for the Enterprise (where the majority of
installations are on Servers) and the priorities are Stability and
Security and a Long Life, and not "the latest and greatest", that you
would find in Fedora Core or Ubuntu, 2 examples among many
distributions. The drawback here is that we are slow to get new stuff,
but that is intentional. Lucky here, that Upstream is including some
much newer stuff, in v.5.2! :-) Lanny

"Rob Townley" 06-19-2008 08:15 PM

What will the upgrade to 5.2 be like?

Security > Stability when it comes to web browsers and i wonder if 1.5 is more secure than 2.14.* i wonder when 1.x will not have security patches anymore.* rh must document that somewhere and i will have to find it.

Scott Silva 06-19-2008 10:03 PM

What will the upgrade to 5.2 be like?

on 6-19-2008 1:15 PM Rob Townley spake the following:
Security > Stability when it comes to web browsers and i wonder if 1.5
is more secure than 2.14. i wonder when 1.x will not have security
patches anymore. rh must document that somewhere and i will have to
find it.

That is probably the reason for the new version. Most of the time RedHat only
issues new versions when backporting becomes difficult/impossible. They are
almost as protective as Debian has been.
A web browser crashing on a distro originally designed for servers was
probably a low priority for them. They probably assume that a browser is
usually used to read docs or download packages.