Old 06-20-2008, 12:05 AM
"Lanny Marcus"

Default What will the upgrade to 5.2 be like?

On 6/19/08, Scott Silva <ssilva@sgvwater.com> wrote:
> on 6-19-2008 1:15 PM Rob Townley spake the following:
>> Security > Stability when it comes to web browsers and i wonder if 1.5
>> is more secure than 2.14. i wonder when 1.x will not have security
>> patches anymore. rh must document that somewhere and i will have to
>> find it.
>>
> That is probably the reason for the new version. Most of the time RedHat
> only
> issues new versions when backporting becomes difficult/impossible. They are
> almost as protective as Debian has been.
> A web browser crashing on a distro originally designed for servers was
> probably a low priority for them. They probably assume that a browser is
> usually used to read docs or download packages.

I agree with Scott about the philosophy involved. Although Upstream
sells a Desktop version of RHEL, the vast majority of installations
are on Servers and Desktop users are a much lower priority. Those of
us who are Desktop users are lucky, with what's coming in 5.2.

Old 06-20-2008, 10:09 PM
Florin Andrei

Lanny Marcus wrote:

I'm looking forward to upgrading to 5.2! If for nothing else, for
the newer version of Mozilla Firefox. The current version (1.5.0.12)
crashes, very frequently, at web sites I use.

You can always put a newer version of FF in /home/${USER}/firefox and
then put that directory at the beginning of $PATH in your .bash_profile

No other changes are necessary and next time you log in voila! when you
click the FF icon in the menus, the newer version gets launched. There
is absolutely no reason to inflict that kind of pain on yourself when
newer, more stable versions of the same software are available.

I actually do the opposite - I run Fedora 9 on this workstation, and it
comes with FF3. The problem is that Google Browser Sync is not supported
under FF3, and it will be discontinued later this year, so I will have
to run FF2 on all my systems until Mozilla Weave comes out with a
version that's similar enough with Google Sync in terms of features.
Hopefully that will happen pretty soon.

--
Florin Andrei

http://florin.myip.org/

Old 06-20-2008, 11:02 PM
"Lanny Marcus"

On 6/20/08, Florin Andrei <florin@andrei.myip.org> wrote:
<snip>
> You can always put a newer version of FF in /home/${USER}/firefox and
> then put that directory at the beginning of $PATH in your .bash_profile
>
> No other changes are necessary and next time you log in voila! when you
> click the FF icon in the menus, the newer version gets launched. There
> is absolutely no reason to inflict that kind of pain on yourself when
> newer, more stable versions of the same software are available.

I should have done that, awhile back! Since 5.2 will be out next week,
I'll wait for that now.