Old 12-03-2007, 03:49 AM
"Manish Kathuria"

Default x86_64 versus i386

Hello,

On the Intel Core 2 Duo processor based systems, we have the option of
installing either x86_64 or the i386 distribution. I would like to
know your experiences with the x86_64 port. How does it compare with
the i386 distribution in terms of stability, reliability and
performance ? How significant are the performance benefits gained by
using the x86_64 linux instead of i386 on the same system ? Keeping in
mind a production environment, which port of CentOS do you recommend
for a Core 2 Duo based server ? It would be great to have your
opinion.

Thanks,

Manish

Old 12-03-2007, 04:03 AM
"redhat@mckerrs.net"

On the Intel Core 2 Duo processor based systems, we have the option of
installing either x86_64 or the i386 distribution. I would like to
know your experiences with the x86_64 port. How does it compare with
the i386 distribution in terms of stability, reliability and
performance ? How significant are the performance benefits gained by
using the x86_64 linux instead of i386 on the same system ? Keeping in
mind a production environment, which port of CentOS do you recommend
for a Core 2 Duo based server ? It would be great to have your
opinion.

Thanks,

Manish

believed to be clean.

For me it comes down to 2 things;

1) what are you going to use the server for ?

2) how much ram do you have ?

If these answers include database, webserver and/or > 4gb of RAM then I'd definately go 64bit. From what I've seen these are the main areas where 64bit will benefit you.

dangerous content by
MailScanner, and is

believed to be clean.

Old 12-03-2007, 04:14 AM
"Manish Kathuria"

On 12/3/07, redhat@mckerrs.net <redhat@mckerrs.net> wrote:

> [...]

Typical uses like a mail server running sendmail / postfix along with
amavis and spamassassin, a proxy server and a mysql database on
different systems.

> 2) how much ram do you have ?

a maximum of 2 GB.

Old 12-03-2007, 04:16 AM
Chris Mauritz

Manish Kathuria wrote:

Hello,

On the Intel Core 2 Duo processor based systems, we have the option of
installing either x86_64 or the i386 distribution. I would like to
know your experiences with the x86_64 port. How does it compare with
the i386 distribution in terms of stability, reliability and
performance ? How significant are the performance benefits gained by
using the x86_64 linux instead of i386 on the same system ? Keeping in
mind a production environment, which port of CentOS do you recommend
for a Core 2 Duo based server ? It would be great to have your
opinion.

Are these server machines or desktops/notebooks? If the former, there
isn't really any compelling reason to avoid the 64-bit version of the
distribution. On desktops, there are occasional gotchas with 3-rd party
add-ons for your web browser and other "creature comfort" nuisance level
things. But those are mostly resolved at this juncture. I had problems
on a few desktop machines with various firefox plug-ins so I reverted to
32-bits and the problems vanished. I haven't revisited the problem
since 5.0 was released so maybe things have gotten better.

Best,

Old 12-03-2007, 01:53 PM
Nicolas Thierry-Mieg

Manish Kathuria wrote:

How significant are the performance benefits gained by
using the x86_64 linux instead of i386 on the same system ?

that depends on the software you'll be running
I have a medium-small C project (~20 KLOC), where the x86_64 binary runs
close to twice as fast as the i386 binary on the same core 2 duo hardware.
speed was important, because this software is used to perform large
numbers of simulations: bottleneck calculations were implemented as
bitwise ops, partly in preparation for 64 bit arches, and this
definitely pays!
so, if you're going to be developing your stuff I'ld recommend x86_64,
and otherwise you should test whatever software you'll be using the most.
There are just minor annoyances to x86_64 anyways, and you can get
around them by temporarily installing i386 packages until the x86_64
issue is resolved (mainly browser-related, also some bugs due to less
well tested software, eg I recently had a x86_64-specific showstopper
with openoffice so I switched to the i386 OOo packages)

cheers,
Nicolas

Old 12-03-2007, 03:08 PM
Scott Silva

on 12/2/2007 9:14 PM Manish Kathuria spake the following:

[...]

With only 2 gigs of ram, you might not see a big difference either way.

--
MailScanner is like deodorant...
You hope everybody uses it, and