Old 06-18-2008, 10:53 PM
"Thomas Dukes"

Default Kernel/harware question

Hello,

I have an IBM Netvista and since kernel 2.6.9-34.0.2, I have not been able
to upgrade to the latest kernel. If I do, in about 8 hours, the system
becomes sluggish almost unresponsive. Currently I am running 4.6 but with
the kernel mentioned above.

I think I may have figured out the problem. It seems when I reboot with the
new kernel, kudzu runs and wants to configure a different driver for this
card, Intel Pro/100. If it does, it will cause the problem I mentioned. If
I don't let it update the driver, it seems to be fine.

So my question is how can I force it to use the driver from kernel
2.6.9-34.0.2? Is it something I need to add to grub.conf?? If so, what?

TIA

Old 06-18-2008, 11:16 PM
"nate"

Thomas Dukes wrote:

> So my question is how can I force it to use the driver from kernel
> 2.6.9-34.0.2? Is it something I need to add to grub.conf?? If so, what?

You could disable kudzu if the driver config you have is what
you want. I always disable kudzu on my systems after they are
installed as my hardware changes are very rare, I can't remember
the last time I used kudzu on a server.

chkconfig --level 2345 kudzu off
/etc/init.d/kudzu stop

for me this happens automatically during kickstart.

nate

Old 06-18-2008, 11:58 PM
"Thomas Dukes"

> So my question is how can I force it to use the driver from kernel
> 2.6.9-34.0.2? Is it something I need to add to grub.conf?? If so, what?

You could disable kudzu if the driver config you have is what you want. I
always disable kudzu on my systems after they are installed as my hardware
changes are very rare, I can't remember the last time I used kudzu on a
server.

chkconfig --level 2345 kudzu off
/etc/init.d/kudzu stop

for me this happens automatically during kickstart.

nate

Thanks, Nate, didn't think of that.

Still, kind of curious why the newer kernels want to configure a different
driver.

Eddie

Old 06-19-2008, 12:03 AM
"nate"

Thomas Dukes wrote:

> Still, kind of curious why the newer kernels want to configure a different
> driver.

What is the driver it uses on the working kernel vs the non working one?

I'd expect it to use the e100 driver, but maybe there is a newer
driver with a different name. Long ago there was the eepro100(?) driver,
before Intel started releasing their own drivers, I'm not sure if that
driver is even present anymore in the 2.6.x kernels(I used it in the
2.2.x days and maybe 2.0 I don't recall)

The driver config is usually in /etc/modprobe.conf

worst case run lsmod under each config to try to find the
differences in what driver is loading.

nate

Old 06-19-2008, 12:13 AM
"Thomas Dukes"

> Still, kind of curious why the newer kernels want to configure a
> different driver.

What is the driver it uses on the working kernel vs the non working one?

I'd expect it to use the e100 driver, but maybe there is a newer driver with
a different name. Long ago there was the eepro100(?) driver, before Intel
started releasing their own drivers, I'm not sure if that driver is even
present anymore in the 2.6.x kernels(I used it in the 2.2.x days and maybe
2.0 I don't recall)

The driver config is usually in /etc/modprobe.conf

worst case run lsmod under each config to try to find the differences in
what driver is loading.

Nate

The working driver name is Intel Corporation 82801DB PRO/100 VE (LOM)
Ethernet Controller. Can't remember what the newer, non-working driver name
was.

Just re-booted after disabling kuduzu. Will know by morning if this was the
fix.

Thanks,

Eddie