Old 06-18-2008, 09:55 PM
Tim Nelson

Default Trouble brewing in dmesg... any ideas?

Hello fellow listers! I've got some errors starting to crop up on one of my CentOS5 boxes. Below is a transcript:

vi S 048C664F 2600 4176 2837 (NOTLB)
f1c87b68 00000082 c30229e0 048c664f 00000e65 f1c87b18 00000007 f7bacaa0
f7d97aa0 048c72fc 00000e65 00000cad 00000003 f7bacbac c302a9e0 c042daae
f7d20000 f1c87b70 00000286 ffffffff 00000000 00000000 00ed957a 00ed957a
Call Trace:
[<c042daae>] lock_timer_base+0x15/0x2f
[<c0604dfc>] schedule_timeout+0x71/0x8c
[<c042d1d3>] process_timeout+0x0/0x5
[<c04803a8>] do_select+0x371/0x3cb
[<c048092b>] __pollwait+0x0/0xb2
[<c04202b1>] default_wake_function+0x0/0xc
[<c04202b1>] default_wake_function+0x0/0xc
[<c06046b9>] schedule+0x90d/0x9ba
[<c0436066>] autoremove_wake_function+0xd/0x2d
[<c042daae>] lock_timer_base+0x15/0x2f
[<c042dbbf>] __mod_timer+0x99/0xa3
[<c04d7a49>] blk_plug_device+0x5e/0x85
[<f884e2e2>] make_request+0x520/0x52a [raid1]
[<f8860679>] journal_stop+0x1b0/0x1ba [jbd]
[<c041fa31>] enqueue_task+0x29/0x39
[<c041f8de>] task_rq_lock+0x31/0x58
[<c04202a7>] try_to_wake_up+0x371/0x37b
[<c041ea84>] __wake_up_common+0x2f/0x53
[<c041f871>] __wake_up+0x2a/0x3d
[<c04806ab>] core_sys_select+0x2a9/0x2ca
[<c052e771>] n_tty_receive_buf+0xc5e/0xcab
[<c041ea84>] __wake_up_common+0x2f/0x53
[<c041f871>] __wake_up+0x2a/0x3d
[<c0529c5e>] tty_wakeup+0x44/0x48
[<c04361fd>] remove_wait_queue+0x16/0x25
[<c041f871>] __wake_up+0x2a/0x3d
[<c0529b9d>] tty_ldisc_deref+0x50/0x5f
[<c0480c72>] sys_select+0x9a/0x180
[<c0404eff>] syscall_call+0x7/0xb
=======================

There are others with various app names besides vi including httpd, named, sftp-server, etc.. Is this an imminent hardware failure? Do I have kernel issues? I've checked the system with lm_sensors and temps are perfectly normal. Also, performance and operation seems to be fine. Even with these errors, my services are running without any hiccups. HELP! :-)

Tim Nelson
Systems/Network Support
Rockbochs Inc.
(218)727-4332 x105

Old 06-18-2008, 11:19 PM
"nate"

Tim Nelson wrote:

> There are others with various app names besides vi including httpd, named,
> sftp-server, etc.. Is this an imminent hardware failure? Do I have kernel
> issues? I've checked the system with lm_sensors and temps are perfectly
> normal. Also, performance and operation seems to be fine. Even with these
> errors, my services are running without any hiccups. HELP! :-)

Would need to see the full error but it sounds like a kernel oops. For
me at least the useful info would be at the top of the error which wasn't
included in your email.

Worst case, configure your system with a serial console and capture the
error using a terminal emulator on another machine plugged into your
serial console.

nate

Old 06-18-2008, 11:38 PM
Tim Nelson

Unfortunately I can't see the top of the errors as there are too many... :-( I'll throw a console on it and start logging. Is anyone else seeing this sort of activity? I'm running the latest stock kernel available using yum from the repos. I'm not using any additional repos(rpmforge, epel, etc...) and I don't have any custom compiled modules. This box is a fresh installation running bind, apache, and mysqld.

Tim Nelson
Systems/Network Support
Rockbochs Inc.
(218)727-4332 x105

Old 06-18-2008, 11:59 PM
"Rob Townley"

dmesg > dmesg.log

or

cd /var/log/
ls -lat | more

i liked the old days when dmesg, /var/log/messages and other syslog stuff was displayed automatically on a tty console.* I tried a softlink from /var/log/messages to tty9, but didn't have any luck.* Would it require a tee or a mod to dmesg?

Old 06-19-2008, 12:05 AM
"nate"

Rob Townley wrote:
> dmesg > dmesg.log
>
> or
>
> cd /var/log/
> ls -lat | more
>
> i liked the old days when dmesg, /var/log/messages and other syslog stuff
> was displayed automatically on a tty console. I tried a softlink from
> /var/log/messages to tty9, but didn't have any luck. Would it require a tee
> or a mod to dmesg?

Should be able to control this in your syslog configuration, I
prefer syslog-ng myself, but the regular old syslog can do this
too I believe.

>From my Debian Etch's /etc/syslog.conf

#
# I like to have messages displayed on the console, but only on a virtual
# console I usually leave idle.
#
#daemon,mail.*;
# news.=crit;news.=err;news.=notice;
# *.=debug;*.=info;
# *.=notice;*.=warn /dev/tty8

nate

Old 06-19-2008, 02:06 AM
Tim Nelson

Ugh yes... I forgot that everything is logged to /var/log/messages. I've put a complete log from boot to current at:* http://208.79.71.67/temp/messages.full.txt . I've removed the thousands of lines generated by snmpd telling me about my monitoring system connections and sanitized any other 'sensitive' information. Looking at the log, I see that I installed snmp(with libs and utils) and lm_sensors right before the problem started happening. I'm also not sure if it makes a difference but this box has 4GB of RAM and I'm not using a PAE kernel. I appreciate any help you all can lend. Thanks!!!

Tim Nelson
Systems/Network Support
Rockbochs Inc.
(218)727-4332 x105

Old 06-22-2008, 12:48 AM
Ted Miller

Rob Townley wrote:

dmesg > dmesg.log

or

cd /var/log/
ls -lat | more

i liked the old days when dmesg, /var/log/messages and other syslog
stuff was displayed automatically on a tty console. I tried a softlink
from /var/log/messages to tty9, but didn't have any luck. Would it
require a tee or a mod to dmesg?

One of those rare occasions when I know the answer, so I'll share. Had to
go look at my /etc/syslog.conf file to remember the magic incantation:

# Log everything to tty12
# Added by TCM on 24 Nov 06
*.* /dev/tty12

This puts all that "stuff" on Ctrl-Alt-F12 "where it belongs". Enjoy.

Ted Miller