Old 06-18-2008, 07:11 PM
ceejay cervantes

Default need advise on protect base and priorities plugin

Hi,

Is it not ok to use both plugins at the same time? I have read from the wiki page of centos that you must use only either protect base or priorities plugin.* I have been using the the config file below for months and did not encounter any problems. I used priority=1 and protect=1 on base and updates (addons,extras protect=1 ; set no priorities) for the CentOS-Base repo and on the rpmforge repo I used protect=0 and did not set any priority. Should I enable only one (protect base or priorities) and not both? Thanks.

[base]
name=CentOS-$releasever -
Base
mirrorlist=http://mirrorlist.centos.org/?release=$releasever&arch=$basearch&repo=os
#baseurl=http://mirror.centos.org/centos/$releasever/os/$basearch/
gpgcheck=1
gpgkey=http://mirror.centos.org/centos/RPM-GPG-KEY-CentOS-5
priority=1
protect=1

#released updates
[updates]
name=CentOS-$releasever - Updates
mirrorlist=http://mirrorlist.centos.org/?release=$releasever&arch=$basearch&repo=updates
#baseurl=http://mirror.centos.org/centos/$releasever/updates/$basearch/
gpgcheck=1
gpgkey=http://mirror.centos.org/centos/RPM-GPG-KEY-CentOS-5
priority=1
protect=1

#packages used/produced in the build but not released
[addons]
name=CentOS-$releasever -
Addons
mirrorlist=http://mirrorlist.centos.org/?release=$releasever&arch=$basearch&repo=addons
#baseurl=http://mirror.centos.org/centos/$releasever/addons/$basearch/
gpgcheck=1
gpgkey=http://mirror.centos.org/centos/RPM-GPG-KEY-CentOS-5
protect=1

#additional packages that may be useful
[extras]
name=CentOS-$releasever - Extras
mirrorlist=http://mirrorlist.centos.org/?release=$releasever&arch=$basearch&repo=extras
#baseurl=http://mirror.centos.org/centos/$releasever/extras/$basearch/
gpgcheck=1
gpgkey=http://mirror.centos.org/centos/RPM-GPG-KEY-CentOS-5
protect=1

#additional packages that extend functionality of existing packages
[centosplus]
name=CentOS-$releasever -
Plus
mirrorlist=http://mirrorlist.centos.org/?release=$releasever&arch=$basearch&repo=centosplu s
#baseurl=http://mirror.centos.org/centos/$releasever/centosplus/$basearch/
gpgcheck=1
enabled=0
gpgkey=http://mirror.centos.org/centos/RPM-GPG-KEY-CentOS-5
protect=0

Send instant messages to your online friends http://uk.messenger.yahoo.com _______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org

Old 06-18-2008, 07:18 PM
"Ross S. W. Walker"

ceejay cervantes wrote:

> Is it not ok to use both plugins at the same time?

No it isn't.

Use priorities (newer) as it allows more flexible control
over protectbase (older).

Other then that your configs look fine.

-Ross

Old 06-18-2008, 08:48 PM
MHR

On Wed, Jun 18, 2008 at 12:18 PM, Ross S. W. Walker
<RWalker@medallion.com> wrote:

> Use priorities (newer) as it allows more flexible control
> over protectbase (older).

Should we then uninstall the protectbase plugin once we are using the
priorities plugin?

Probably a dumb question, but I think we should be very clear about this.

Thanks.

mhr

Old 06-18-2008, 08:54 PM
"Ross S. W. Walker"

MHR wrote:

> On Wed, Jun 18, 2008 at 12:18 PM, Ross S. W. Walker
> <RWalker@medallion.com> wrote:
> >
> > Use priorities (newer) as it allows more flexible control
> > over protectbase (older).
> >

> Should we then uninstall the protectbase plugin once we are using the
> priorities plugin?
>
> Probably a dumb question, but I think we should be very clear
> about this.

Yes.

-Ross

Old 06-19-2008, 08:54 AM
ceejay cervantes

Thank you very much.

> Is it not ok to use both plugins at the same time?

No it isn't.

Use priorities (newer) as it allows more flexible control
over protectbase (older).

Other then that your configs look fine.

-Ross

This e-mail, and
any attachments thereto, is intended only for use by

Old 06-19-2008, 12:54 PM
Johnny Hughes

ceejay cervantes wrote:

Hi,

Is it not ok to use both plugins at the same time? I have read from the wiki page of centos that you must use only either protect base or priorities plugin. I have been using the the config file below for months and did not encounter any problems. I used priority=1 and protect=1 on base and updates (addons,extras protect=1 ; set no priorities) for the CentOS-Base repo and on the rpmforge repo I used protect=0 and did not set any priority. Should I enable only one (protect base or priorities) and not both? Thanks.

Just for the record, basically protectbase is priorities with only 2
settings (0 and 1)

So, if you have both installed, protectbase will override the priorities.

So, you should pick one or the other, but not both.

Old 06-19-2008, 01:19 PM
ceejay cervantes

Thanks.

Old 06-20-2008, 04:24 AM
D Steward

> Just for the record, basically protectbase is priorities with only 2
> settings (0 and 1)

Thanks for this. I was wondering if you could tell me the default
priority for the 'priorities' plugin?
I've made a point of ensuring that *every* repo gets a priority even if
disabled. I'm wondering if it is necessary.

Old 06-20-2008, 05:18 AM
"Ross S. W. Walker"

D Steward wrote:

> > Just for the record, basically protectbase is priorities with only 2
> > settings (0 and 1)
>
> Thanks for this. I was wondering if you could tell me the default
> priority for the 'priorities' plugin?
> I've made a point of ensuring that *every* repo gets a priority
> even if disabled. I'm wondering if it is necessary.

Default level is 99 if not specified.

It's all right in the wiki:

http://wiki.centos.org/PackageManagement/Yum/Priorities

-Ross