Old 06-18-2008, 06:41 PM
Monty Shinn

Default remote access info please

Gary wrote:

Hi ya'll,

I built a new CentOS 5.1 server for a client, housing a Lotus Notes / Domino
server, and various other virtualized IBM software server guests, and soon
will have to physically move that server to another distant location.

My question is that I will need secure access to those servers via X, not
just the C/L terminal. What do you recommend for a good secure CentOS
program which would do this. Would also want to access via a high port, but
I am sure just about any program will allow this to be manually configured.

Thanks for your help and input.

Gary,

You can run X apps over ssh if you use the >> -Y << option. You can
also configure ssh to use a non-standard port in it's config page.

I also believe you can port (tunnel?) VNC through ssh, but I have only
heard about that, so I may be off here. VNC is part of the standard
CentOS distribution.

HTH,

Monty

Old 06-18-2008, 07:13 PM
Frank Cox

On Wed, 18 Jun 2008 13:41:00 -0500
Monty Shinn <montys@videopost.com> wrote:

> I also believe you can port (tunnel?) VNC through ssh, but I have only
> heard about that, so I may be off here.

You can indeed do that. It's very easy to set up and any number of web pages
contain step-by-step instructions for how to make it work.

Old 06-18-2008, 07:17 PM
"nate"

Gary wrote:
> Hi ya'll,
>
> I built a new CentOS 5.1 server for a client, housing a Lotus Notes / Domino
> server, and various other virtualized IBM software server guests, and soon
> will have to physically move that server to another distant location.
>
> My question is that I will need secure access to those servers via X, not
> just the C/L terminal. What do you recommend for a good secure CentOS
> program which would do this. Would also want to access via a high port, but
> I am sure just about any program will allow this to be manually configured.
>
> Thanks for your help and input.

How about tunneling X11 over ssh (ssh -X). Or one of the VNC variants
(I think one or more support encryption, or you could do ssh port forwarding).

If you go the SSH route make sure that X forwarding is enabled on your
server(/etc/ssh/sshd_config), from what I can tell the default in
CentOS 4.6 is enabled, I imagine it is enabled in 5.1 as well.

nate

Old 06-18-2008, 07:58 PM
Scott Silva

on 6-18-2008 12:13 PM Frank Cox spake the following:

On Wed, 18 Jun 2008 13:41:00 -0500
I also believe you can port (tunnel?) VNC through ssh, but I have only
heard about that, so I may be off here.

You can indeed do that. It's very easy to set up and any number of web pages
contain step-by-step instructions for how to make it work.

And with putty and XMing you can even do it from a (cough, duck) Windows machine.

--
MailScanner is like deodorant...
You hope everybody uses it, and

Old 06-18-2008, 08:02 PM
Gary

Hi Frank,

On Wed, 18 Jun 2008 13:13:12 -0600 UTC (6/18/2008, 2:13 PM -0500 UTC my time), Frank Cox wrote:

>> I also believe you can port (tunnel?) VNC through ssh, but I have only
>> heard about that, so I may be off here.

F> You can indeed do that. It's very easy to set up and any number of web pages
F> contain step-by-step instructions for how to make it work.

Thanks also to Nate and Monty for your input. This is probably the best way
to go, as anyone can sniff the wire without it.

I see I can run this as a service also, but I can't seem to find the VNC
client (for Windows) in any directory. Would I get this off of the realvnc
site, or is it included in the CentOS 5.1 distro?

--
Gary

Old 06-18-2008, 08:10 PM
Frank Cox

On Wed, 18 Jun 2008 15:02:53 -0500
Gary <gv-centos@letric.net> wrote:

> I see I can run this as a service also, but I can't seem to find the VNC
> client (for Windows) in any directory. Would I get this off of the realvnc
> site, or is it included in the CentOS 5.1 distro?

Why would you expect to find a VNC client for Windows on a Centos distribution?

"yum install vnc" will get you the Centos client, and "yum install vnc-server"
will get you the Centos vnc server, if that's what you meant to ask. You
probably already have vnc-server installed if you see it in the list of
available services, though.

Old 06-18-2008, 08:28 PM
John Thomas

Gary wrote:

My question is that I will need secure access to those servers via X, not
just the C/L terminal. What do you recommend for a good secure CentOS
program which would do this. Would also want to access via a high port, but
I am sure just about any program will allow this to be manually configured.

I use NX and find it amazing. I downloaded the RPMs from nomachine.com
because I had not found that they are built in one of the repos (testing
if memory serves).

--
Sincerely,
John Thomas

Old 06-18-2008, 08:33 PM
Gary

Hi Scott,

On Wed, 18 Jun 2008 12:58:09 -0700 UTC (6/18/2008, 2:58 PM -0500 UTC my time), Scott Silva wrote:

>> You can indeed do that. It's very easy to set up and any number of web pages
>> contain step-by-step instructions for how to make it work.
>>
S> And with putty and XMing you can even do it from a (cough, duck) Windows machine.

yep, that's what I was thinking too....... sometimes have to use Windows
depending on physically where I am.

thanks for your input

--
Gary

Old 06-19-2008, 04:17 AM
"Filipe Brandenburger"

On Wed, Jun 18, 2008 at 4:28 PM, John Thomas
<gmane-2006-04-16@jt-socal.com> wrote:
> I use NX and find it amazing. I downloaded the RPMs from nomachine.com
> because I had not found that they are built in one of the repos (testing if
> memory serves).

I second that.

NX works over SSH so its connection is encrypted by default (you don't
have to mess with tunnels).

Also, NX response time is hard to beat, and its graphics are better
than VNC a long shot.

And you have clients for Linux, Windows and Mac OS X. The clients are
really easy to set up (unlike XMing for instance).

I would suggest you give it a try.

HTH,
Filipe

Old 06-19-2008, 05:42 AM
Scott Silva

on 6-18-2008 9:17 PM Filipe Brandenburger spake the following:

On Wed, Jun 18, 2008 at 4:28 PM, John Thomas
I use NX and find it amazing. I downloaded the RPMs from nomachine.com
because I had not found that they are built in one of the repos (testing if
memory serves).

I second that.

NX works over SSH so its connection is encrypted by default (you don't
have to mess with tunnels).

Also, NX response time is hard to beat, and its graphics are better
than VNC a long shot.

And you have clients for Linux, Windows and Mac OS X. The clients are
really easy to set up (unlike XMing for instance).

Xming was pretty easy to set-up. Run the windows installer, set putty sessions
to forward X, and it just worked. But NX is a better option, but not
necessarily an easier one. What I like about XMing and putty is just getting
the remote window I am running, and not a whole scaled desktop. And I was
already using putty on a daily basis, so it was the least complicated for me.