Old 06-18-2008, 06:38 PM
Scott Silva

Default nss_ldap (was Could this be an advantage of CentOS over the PNAELV distribution?_

on 6-18-2008 6:34 AM Johnny Hughes spake the following:

Meenoo Shivdasani wrote:

There is a bug with nss_ldap and bash32 ... I created a new RPM for the
nss_ldap that is currently in our testing repo.

Johnny,

I was wondering if that RPM includes the security fixes detailed in
https://rhn.redhat.com/errata/RHSA-2008-0389.html

Yes, it contains all the pathces for that issue and has a work around
for the bash32 issue.

Note: This file is in our testing repo and will not be released on the
ISOs or in the Updates repo ... but will be in the release notes and can
be used by users who would LIKE to try it.

We also created a kernel for bz321111 that is in testing repo as well
(that is fixed in 5.2).

CentOS routinely creates patched RPMs like these to make available to
our users (and upstream users / testers if they want). We also actively
submit and track bugs and patches (if we have a fix) to the upstream
bugzilla all the time. However, we do NOT roll these fixes in until
they come down from upstream ... as we aim for binary compatibility,
even for bugs. That is the only way to ensure things work the same. We
also want to make the entire EL codebase better, not fork our EL
codebase away from upsream like Oracle does with unbreakable linux.

Thanks,
Johnny Hughes

I am sure that RH appreciates it also. The fact that CentOS contributes so
much probably give them a "favored stepchild" status, instead of just a user.

--
MailScanner is like deodorant...
You hope everybody uses it, and