Old 06-18-2008, 05:32 PM
"Herta Van den Eynde"

Default Forbidden: You don't have permission to access /phpMyAdmin/ on this server.

Environment:
- CentOS 5.1,
- Apache 2.2.3
- php 5.1.6
- phpMyAdmin 2.11.6
- MySQL 5.0.22

Brand new system, brand new installation of all the above products.
All looks well, but when I try to connect to phpMyAdmin, I get an
error: "Forbidden: You don't have permission to access /phpMyAdmin/
on this server".

I'll forgo all the paths I followed trying to get this to work and cut
to the "solution": I renamed the phpMyAdmin directory to pma, copied
all files in the pma directory to a new phpMyAdmin (FWIIW, using 'cp
-pr'), and voilà, problem vanished. (I cannot explain why I even
tried that.)

My first idea was that maybe the copy somehow resolved some issue at
the directory level, but when I output an 'ls -laR' of the two
directories to two files, 'diff' shows both files to be identical
(apart from the timestamps on . and .. directories). The pma and
phpMyAdmin directories reside in the same documentroot, have the same
ownership, and the same permissions.

This must be about the weirdest experience in my professional career.
If anyone can shed a light on this, it'd be most welcome. I still
have the original (malfunctioning) directory on the system to bounce
ideas off if anyone has any inspiration (system will go live this
weekend).

Kind regards,

Herta
--
"Life on Earth may be expensive,
but it comes with a free ride around the Sun."

Old 06-18-2008, 06:00 PM
"Herta Van den Eynde"

Thanks for the suggestions, Joshua.

I'm using the standard apache config, which rules out suggestion 1.

SELinux is enabled, but I'm new to it. How could that cause this effect?

Kind regards,

Herta

Old 06-18-2008, 06:25 PM
Mark Pryor

> Brand new system, brand new installation of all the above
> products.
> All looks well, but when I try to connect to phpMyAdmin, I
> get an
> error: "Forbidden: You don't have permission to
> access /phpMyAdmin/
> on this server".
>
> I'll forgo all the paths I followed trying to get this
> to work and cut
> to the "solution": I renamed the phpMyAdmin
> directory to pma, copied
> all files in the pma directory to a new phpMyAdmin

Make the small Config file below. Notice that the folder is
now above your web root (/var/www/html/)

http://localhost/pma -- will navigate to the new install

------------ /etc/httpd/conf.d/phpMyAdmin.conf -----------

Alias /pma "/var/www/phpMyAdmin"

<directory /var/www/phpMyAdmin>
Order allow,deny
Allow from all
Options all
Options +includes
</directory>
---------------- end snip -------------

--
Mark
http://www.tlviewer.org/centos/ (my repo with rt3 included)

Old 06-18-2008, 07:22 PM
Milton Calnek

what does your /etc/httpd/conf.d/phpmyadmin.conf
look like? By default, it has a Allow 127.0.0.1 in it.

Scott Silva wrote:
| on 6-18-2008 10:32 AM Herta Van den Eynde spake the following:
|> Environment:
|> - CentOS 5.1,
|> - Apache 2.2.3
|> - php 5.1.6
|> - phpMyAdmin 2.11.6
|> - MySQL 5.0.22
|>
|> Brand new system, brand new installation of all the above products.
|> All looks well, but when I try to connect to phpMyAdmin, I get an
|> error: "Forbidden: You don't have permission to access /phpMyAdmin/
|> on this server".
|>
|> I'll forgo all the paths I followed trying to get this to work
and cut
|> to the "solution": I renamed the phpMyAdmin directory to pma, copied
|> all files in the pma directory to a new phpMyAdmin (FWIIW, using 'cp
|> -pr'), and voil?, problem vanished. (I cannot explain why I even
|> tried that.)
|>
|> My first idea was that maybe the copy somehow resolved some issue at
|> the directory level, but when I output an 'ls -laR' of the two
|> directories to two files, 'diff' shows both files to be identical
|> (apart from the timestamps on . and .. directories). The pma and
|> phpMyAdmin directories reside in the same documentroot, have the same
|> ownership, and the same permissions.
|>
|> This must be about the weirdest experience in my professional career.
|> If anyone can shed a light on this, it'd be most welcome. I still
|> have the original (malfunctioning) directory on the system to bounce
|> ideas off if anyone has any inspiration (system will go live this
|> weekend).
|>
|> Kind regards,
|>
|> Herta
| Just a side note, but "pma" is one of the directories the script
kiddies
| hammer on my servers regularly. You had better hide it better than
that,
| or make sure it isn't accessible from the "world".

-

- --
Milton Calnek BSc, A/Slt(Ret.)
milton@calnek.com
306-717-8737

believed to be clean.

Old 06-18-2008, 08:41 PM
"Herta Van den Eynde"

2008/6/18 Scott Silva <ssilva@sgvwater.com>:
> on 6-18-2008 10:32 AM Herta Van den Eynde spake the following:
>>
>> Environment:
>> - CentOS 5.1,
>> - Apache 2.2.3
>> - php 5.1.6
>> - phpMyAdmin 2.11.6
>> - MySQL 5.0.22
>>
>> Brand new system, brand new installation of all the above products.
>> All looks well, but when I try to connect to phpMyAdmin, I get an
>> error: "Forbidden: You don't have permission to access /phpMyAdmin/
>> on this server".
>>
>> I'll forgo all the paths I followed trying to get this to work and cut
>> to the "solution": I renamed the phpMyAdmin directory to pma, copied
>> all files in the pma directory to a new phpMyAdmin (FWIIW, using 'cp
>> -pr'), and voil�, problem vanished. (I cannot explain why I even
>> tried that.)
>>
>> My first idea was that maybe the copy somehow resolved some issue at
>> the directory level, but when I output an 'ls -laR' of the two
>> directories to two files, 'diff' shows both files to be identical
>> (apart from the timestamps on . and .. directories). The pma and
>> phpMyAdmin directories reside in the same documentroot, have the same
>> ownership, and the same permissions.
>>
>> This must be about the weirdest experience in my professional career.
>> If anyone can shed a light on this, it'd be most welcome. I still
>> have the original (malfunctioning) directory on the system to bounce
>> ideas off if anyone has any inspiration (system will go live this
>> weekend).
>>
>> Kind regards,
>>
>> Herta
>
> Just a side note, but "pma" is one of the directories the script kiddies
> hammer on my servers regularly. You had better hide it better than that, or
> make sure it isn't accessible from the "world".
>
> --
> MailScanner is like deodorant...
> You hope everybody uses it, and
> you notice quickly if they don't!!!!

Thanks for the tip, Scott. I'll rename it again.

Kind regards,

Herta

Old 06-18-2008, 08:42 PM
"Herta Van den Eynde"

2008/6/18 Scott Silva <ssilva@sgvwater.com>:
> on 6-18-2008 12:22 PM Milton Calnek spake the following:
>>
>> what does your /etc/httpd/conf.d/phpmyadmin.conf
>> look like? By default, it has a Allow 127.0.0.1 in it.
>>
> I'm not using it, I just see the attempts. There must be some vulnerability,
> at least in older versions, or there wouldn't be a script out there to
> exploit it.
> --
> MailScanner is like deodorant...
> You hope everybody uses it, and
> you notice quickly if they don't!!!!

I don't see how it could be config related.

Like I said, I originally had a directory called phpMyAdmin, which
didn't work. I renamed it to pma (to make sure the uppercase
characters weren't causing problems). It still didn't work.

I then copied it to a new directory named phpMyAdmin, just like the
original directory (cp -pr pma phpMyAdmin). The new phpMyAdmin
directory works fine. No config changes in between.

For good measure, I copied it again to yet another directory (cp -pr
pma tst). That other directory works just fine as well. Again
without changing anything in the configs.

Kind regards,

Herta

Old 06-18-2008, 08:45 PM
"Herta Van den Eynde"

2008/6/18 Mark Pryor <tlviewer@yahoo.com>:

> [...]
It's one of the things I tried when I still believed I messed up on
the config. (I didn't have the "Options +includes", but then I had no
includes.)

Kind regards,

Herta