Old 06-18-2008, 05:21 PM
"James B. Byrne"

Default YUM and installing older versions of software.

How does one specify a particular version of a software package to yum to
install? Is this even possible? What happens to superceded pacjkages in
repos? Are they simple removed/discarded?

yum install package-X.Y.Z-A.el5 ???

The reason I ask is if a yum update goes awry for some reason then how does
one revert to the previous (working) version? I seem to recall that up2date
had a feature whereby one could locally archive superseded packages and
rollback to a previous version was required.

--
*** E-Mail is NOT a SECURE channel ***
9 Brockley Drive vox: +1 905 561 1241

Old 06-18-2008, 05:29 PM
Ralph Angenendt

James B. Byrne wrote:
> How does one specify a particular version of a software package to yum to
> install? Is this even possible? What happens to superceded pacjkages in
> repos? Are they simple removed/discarded?
>
> yum install package-X.Y.Z-A.el5 ???

The yum version in 5.2 will have a --allow-downgrade option.

Cheers,

Ralph

Old 06-19-2008, 09:25 AM
Laurence Alexander Hurst

James B. Byrne wrote:

How does one specify a particular version of a software package to yum to
install? Is this even possible? What happens to superceded pacjkages in
repos? Are they simple removed/discarded?

yum install package-X.Y.Z-A.el5 ???

The reason I ask is if a yum update goes awry for some reason then how does
one revert to the previous (working) version? I seem to recall that up2date
had a feature whereby one could locally archive superseded packages and
rollback to a previous version was required.

I've spent some time struggling with this issue too. The current version
of yum will let you specify an older version (as detailed in the man
page) and install it - but you then have to be very careful with your
`yum update`s to avoid accidentally upgrading it. Once you have a later
version installed you cannot, currently, downgrade it - the only way to
install an older version "over" an existing version is to remove the
package and then explicitly install the older version, and this can
result in some nasty dependency issues.

As has already been pointed out, this looks to be about to change in the
next version(s) of yum in CentOS.

Regards
-Laurence

Old 06-19-2008, 05:08 PM
MHR

On Thu, Jun 19, 2008 at 2:25 AM, Laurence Alexander Hurst
<L.A.Hurst@lboro.ac.uk> wrote:

> I've spent some time struggling with this issue too. The current version of
> yum will let you specify an older version (as detailed in the man page) and
> install it - but you then have to be very careful with your `yum update`s to
> avoid accidentally upgrading it. Once you have a later version installed you
> cannot, currently, downgrade it - the only way to install an older version
> "over" an existing version is to remove the package and then explicitly
> install the older version, and this can result in some nasty dependency
> issues.

Avoiding accidental updates is as easy as putting exclusion rules in
your yum repo files. I do this routinely to prevent my OOo 2.4.1 from
getting overwritten by (and me getting notices for) "newer" revisions
of older base versions. (Exclusion rules don't care which way the
update would go, up or down.)

mhr