Old 12-03-2007, 01:34 AM
Craig White

Default **** CentOS 5 and removing sendmail

On Mon, 2007-12-03 at 07:59 +0530, Indunil Jayasooriya wrote:

> # rpm -e sendmail
>
> error: Failed dependencies:
>
> /usr/sbin/sendmail is needed by (installed)
> redhat-lsb-3.1-12.2.EL.el5.centos.i386
>
> smtpdaemon is needed by (installed)
> mutt-1.4.2.2-3.el5.i386
>
> smtpdaemon is needed by (installed)
> fetchmail-6.3.6-1.el5.i386
>
> smtpdaemon is needed by (installed)
> mdadm-2.5.4-3.el5.i386
>
> pls try
>
> rpm -e sendmail --nodeps
----
sounds like an easy way to kill a perfectly good running server

Craig

Old 12-03-2007, 01:59 AM
"Joseph L. Casale"

>> pls try
>>
>> rpm -e sendmail --nodeps
>>----
>sounds like an easy way to kill a perfectly good running server
>
>Craig

Lol, boy oh boy, am I in for long journey
jlc

Old 12-03-2007, 02:18 AM
Tom Diehl

On Sun, 2 Dec 2007, Joseph L. Casale wrote:

pls try

rpm -e sendmail --nodeps
----

sounds like an easy way to kill a perfectly good running server

Craig

Lol, boy oh boy, am I in for long journey

What is it you are trying to accomplish?

--nodeps is almost always the WRONG answer.

Tom Diehl tdiehl@rogueind.com Spamtrap address mtd123@rogueind.com

Old 12-03-2007, 02:33 AM
"Joseph L. Casale"

>What is it you are trying to accomplish?
>
>--nodeps is almost always the WRONG answer.

Well, just starting my adventure in learning Linux. My immediate need is a spam gateway, and all the how-to's I find are for distributions I either don't want to use or are very old, not to mention just copying commands isn't an effective way to learn. I have decided to stick with CentOS and learn using it, that being said I have loosely decided on a few apps to use for this server: postfix, amavisd-new, clamav and spam assassin. I was hoping to setup a minimal install and start from there, which brought up an interesting scenario. When installing basically nothing except text internet, editors and base, I unchecked sendmail and noticed exim was automatically installed (even though it's not even an option)! Fortunately I am using esx and creating vm's and snapping them to test stuff makes learning very easy! I wonder if base is not even selected if any MTA is installed?

Thanks for the pointer on --nodeps (I can see why that logically can be a problem).

jlc

Old 12-03-2007, 02:53 AM
Craig White

On Sun, 2007-12-02 at 20:33 -0700, Joseph L. Casale wrote:
> >What is it you are trying to accomplish?
> >
> >--nodeps is almost always the WRONG answer.
>
> Well, just starting my adventure in learning Linux. My immediate need is a spam gateway, and all the how-to's I find are for distributions I either don't want to use or are very old, not to mention just copying commands isn't an effective way to learn. I have decided to stick with CentOS and learn using it, that being said I have loosely decided on a few apps to use for this server: postfix, amavisd-new, clamav and spam assassin. I was hoping to setup a minimal install and start from there, which brought up an interesting scenario. When installing basically nothing except text internet, editors and base, I unchecked sendmail and noticed exim was automatically installed (even though it's not even an option)! Fortunately I am using esx and creating vm's and snapping them to test stuff makes learning very easy! I wonder if base is not even selected if any MTA is installed?
>
> Thanks for the pointer on --nodeps (I can see why that logically can be a problem).
----
There really isn't a problem having sendmail installed when you run
postfix...it's just that some packages depend upon some sendmail
bits...mostly for local delivery.

If you're just starting out on Linux, there doesn't seem to be much of a
reason to install postfix or anything else from source.

Enable rpmforge repo...

yum install clamav clamav-db amavisd-new postfix switch-mail

and start configuring...easy, done.

yum update (gets updated versions as they come out)

if you install from source, you lose all of the goodness of automatic
updates

Craig

Old 12-03-2007, 03:02 AM
Chris Mauritz

Joseph L. Casale wrote:

[...]

I think the underlying problem here is that you're using rpm rather than
the yum package management system (which is what CentOS "wants").
Installing/removing things willy nilly with rpm is going to get you into
trouble unless you really know what you're doing (and you've indicated
that you don't...hehe).

Removing sendwhale is as simple as "yum remove sendmail". It will warn
you if there are any dependencies and you can go from there. I
generally remove sendmail first thing and then do "yum install
postfix". Once postfix is installed you can season it to taste by
visiting the config files in /etc/postfix. There are numerous guides
out there on how to configure postfix to filter spam and/or work with
outside applications to do the deed. You might want to start off by
skimming through Johnny Hughes' instructions for installing various mail
bits here:

http://www.hughesjr.com/content/category/4/15/29/

and then try reading through stuff like this:

http://www.howtoforge.com/linux_spam_filter_mail_gateway

Once you've gotten things up and working you can spend some "quality
time" delving into the minutiae. Personally, I like to avoid hand
compiling anything these days (to the extent possible), as it really
simplifies upgrades and potential conflicts down the road. Between the
base install and the extras repository, you should have most, if not
all, of what you need to build a reasonably effective spam trap.

Good luck!

Old 12-03-2007, 03:19 AM
"Joseph L. Casale"

>Good luck!