-   -   custom kernel cant find label / (http://www.linux-archive.org/centos/109087-custom-kernel-cant-find-label.html)

Jerry Geis 06-18-2008 03:47 PM

custom kernel cant find label /

Hi all,

I installed centos 4.6 on a USB thumbdrive.
It installed and booted after install.

I then put a custom kernel on, build it as I should,
on rebooting and selecting my kernel to load from grub I it starts up
and all

and the last error I get is:

label / not found.

What went wrong?

Jerry

Jerry Geis 06-18-2008 03:54 PM

Jerry Geis wrote:

Hi all,

I installed centos 4.6 on a USB thumbdrive.
It installed and booted after install.

I then put a custom kernel on, build it as I should,
on rebooting and selecting my kernel to load from grub I it starts up
and all

and the last error I get is:

label / not found.

What went wrong?

Jerry

CONFIG_NETLABEL=n
CONFIG_BSD_DISKLABEL=n
CONFIG_UNIXWARE_DISKLABEL=n

Do I need any of the above to access the LABEL / at boot?
Is it some other option?

Jerry

Karanbir Singh 06-18-2008 05:21 PM

Jerry Geis wrote:

I installed centos 4.6 on a USB thumbdrive.
It installed and booted after install.

I then put a custom kernel on, build it as I should,
on rebooting and selecting my kernel to load from grub I it starts up
and all

and the last error I get is:

label / not found.

What went wrong?

I'd guess your boot line has something like "root=LABEL=/"
and you dont have a filesystem which is marked as label = /

To start, you could either label a filesystem as '/' or, you can just
change that root= line to point at a real filesystem.

Also, I can see you are still doing your old "ask on the list rather
than actually work out what the problem is" trick :/

MHR 06-18-2008 05:25 PM

On Wed, Jun 18, 2008 at 10:21 AM, Karanbir Singh <mail-lists@karan.org> wrote:

:

> Also, I can see you are still doing your old "ask on the list rather than
> actually work out what the problem is" trick :/

Oh, cool (for me), someone took over for me....

mhr
<BFG>

John R Pierce 06-18-2008 05:27 PM

Karanbir Singh wrote:

Jerry Geis wrote:

I installed centos 4.6 on a USB thumbdrive.
It installed and booted after install.

I then put a custom kernel on, build it as I should,
on rebooting and selecting my kernel to load from grub I it starts up
and all

and the last error I get is:

label / not found.

What went wrong?

I'd guess your boot line has something like "root=LABEL=/"
and you dont have a filesystem which is marked as label = /

To start, you could either label a filesystem as '/' or, you can just
change that root= line to point at a real filesystem.

what WOULD be the 'real device' in the case of a USB thumbdrive?
since its the boot device, would it necessarily be enumerated first,
hence always /dev/sda ? or would it be after any other /dev/sd? that
happen to be present on the system, which would mean that its device
name is quite unpredictable?

OTOH, using LABEL=/ could be very problematic if there are any OTHER
devices present with a filesystem that has LABEL=/ ... I'd wonder if
you wouldn't want to use LABEL=USBROOT or some such (and label the USB
stick accordingly).

Jerry Geis 06-18-2008 05:32 PM

Jerry Geis wrote:
>/ I installed centos 4.6 on a USB thumbdrive.
/>/ It installed and booted after install.
/>/

/
I'd guess your boot line has something like "root=LABEL=/"
and you dont have a filesystem which is marked as label = /

To start, you could either label a filesystem as '/' or, you can just
change that root= line to point at a real filesystem.

Also, I can see you are still doing your old "ask on the list rather
than actually work out what the problem is" trick :/

Karanbir,

Running e2label /dev/sda1 reports that in fact the partition is "/"

My kernel boot line is infact "root=LABEL=/"

My issue here is that I did the initial install. This install boots with
the LABEL=/ just fine.
After the custom kernel build it does not boot. I'm trying to find out
if there is an option in the config
that is needed for these label boots. Perhaps one of these: (I dont know
if I am fishing here and/or which one would do it)

CONFIG_NETLABEL
CONFIG_BSD_DISKLABEL
CONFIG_UNIXWARE_DISKLABEL

I did search and wasn't finding what I was looking for, then I posted.

I have not changed the line to try root=/dev/sda1 as I was trying to
make it work the same way.

Thanks for helping.

Jerry

Karanbir Singh 06-18-2008 05:39 PM

John R Pierce wrote:
To start, you could either label a filesystem as '/' or, you can just
change that root= line to point at a real filesystem.

what WOULD be the 'real device' in the case of a USB thumbdrive?
since its the boot device, would it necessarily be enumerated first,
hence always /dev/sda ? or would it be after any other /dev/sd? that
happen to be present on the system, which would mean that its device
name is quite unpredictable?

OTOH, using LABEL=/ could be very problematic if there are any OTHER
devices present with a filesystem that has LABEL=/ ... I'd wonder if
you wouldn't want to use LABEL=USBROOT or some such (and label the USB
stick accordingly).

based on the other emails from Jerry recently, I'd assume that the usb
drive is the only mass storage device he has in the machine, so /dev/sda
should be predictable. But then, isnt this the exact issue that Labels'
are supposed to resolve ?

Your recommendations of labeling the partition with something that is
specific to the device ( label=USBROOT or label=USBKEYOSROOT ) might be
a good 'middle path' here. Might need to do something similar for the
swap and then sanity check /etc/fstab

Karanbir Singh 06-18-2008 05:43 PM

Jerry Geis wrote:

Running e2label /dev/sda1 reports that in fact the partition is "/"

My kernel boot line is infact "root=LABEL=/"

My issue here is that I did the initial install. This install boots with
the LABEL=/ just fine.
After the custom kernel build it does not boot. I'm trying to find out
if there is an option in the config
that is needed for these label boots. Perhaps one of these: (I dont know
if I am fishing here and/or which one would do it)

CONFIG_NETLABEL
CONFIG_BSD_DISKLABEL
CONFIG_UNIXWARE_DISKLABEL

How about Diff the config's from the stock kernel and yours ? Although,
if the kernel speaks ext3 it should be fine for labels, as far as I can
tell off the top of my head.

I did search and wasn't finding what I was looking for, then I posted.

I have not changed the line to try root=/dev/sda1 as I was trying to
make it work the same way.

That might be worth trying, its a simple hack and it will tell you if
your kernel even boots or not.

Stephen Harris 06-18-2008 05:56 PM

On Wed, Jun 18, 2008 at 06:43:53PM +0100, Karanbir Singh wrote:
> Jerry Geis wrote:

> >I have not changed the line to try root=/dev/sda1 as I was trying to
> >make it work the same way.
>
> That might be worth trying, its a simple hack and it will tell you if
> your kernel even boots or not.

Also, what would happen if there were two filesystems labeled as / ?
eg /dev/hda1 and /dev/sda1 ? It might make sense to label the
USB thumbdrive as USBroot and modify fstab and grub informtation
accordingly.

--

rgds
Stephen

"Akemi Yagi" 06-18-2008 06:02 PM

custom kernel cant find label /

On Wed, Jun 18, 2008 at 10:21 AM, Karanbir Singh <mail-lists@karan.org> wrote:
> Jerry Geis wrote:
>>
>> What went wrong?
>
> Also, I can see you are still doing your old "ask on the list rather than
> actually work out what the problem is" trick :/

Jerry,

You have been posting a lot of questions and getting a lot of help as
well. Maybe it's time for you to give something back to the
community? For example, it would be nice if you could respond to the
question directed to you:

http://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos/2008-May/099299.html

Akemi