Old 06-18-2008, 04:50 PM
Karanbir Singh

Default rpmfusion status?

Ross S. W. Walker wrote:

If they manage to port all the Fedora extras over for EL then I
would say that is pretty darn close to one-stop shop for RPMs. Of
course no repo can have it all. There are always the questionable
items like closed source drivers and codecs which should be isolated.

Ross, you are obviously interested in the flames more than anything
else, and as Rex already pointed out in a hintting kind of way, lots of
us are no longer interested in that.

You need to go back and workout what a real resourceful repo should /
could / would have. If EPEL gives you all that, your' done. For a vast
majority of the rest of us, it doesnt and the way their mandate works,
it wont.

Old 06-18-2008, 05:37 PM
"Ross S. W. Walker"

Karanbir Singh wrote:

> Ross S. W. Walker wrote:
> > If they manage to port all the Fedora extras over for EL then I
> > would say that is pretty darn close to one-stop shop for RPMs. Of
> > course no repo can have it all. There are always the questionable
> > items like closed source drivers and codecs which should be isolated.
>
> Ross, you are obviously interested in the flames more than anything
> else, and as Rex already pointed out in a hintting kind of way, lots of
> us are no longer interested in that.

Then why are you still talking?

> You need to go back and workout what a real resourceful repo should /
> could / would have. If EPEL gives you all that, your' done. For a vast
> majority of the rest of us, it doesnt and the way their mandate works,
> it wont.

This is a CentOS users list. It is for users of CentOS to FREELY voice
their opinions on and about CentOS. If you don't like my opinion, fine,
but you have no right to tell me I am wrong.

-Ross

Old 06-18-2008, 05:45 PM
Karanbir Singh

Ross S. W. Walker wrote:
You need to go back and workout what a real resourceful repo should /
could / would have. If EPEL gives you all that, your' done. For a vast
majority of the rest of us, it doesnt and the way their mandate works,
it wont.

This is a CentOS users list. It is for users of CentOS to FREELY voice
their opinions on and about CentOS. If you don't like my opinion, fine,
but you have no right to tell me I am wrong.

But you are wrong, you claimed with authority that EPEL are trying to be
the everything-repo, which they are not and cant be. You are free to
voice an opinion, but if you are wrong, you are wrong.

Old 06-18-2008, 05:53 PM
"Bent Terp"

On Wed, Jun 18, 2008 at 6:27 PM, Ross S. W. Walker
<RWalker@medallion.com> wrote:
> If they manage to port all the Fedora extras over for EL then I
> would say that is pretty darn close to one-stop shop for RPMs.

Assuming that all software ever needed by anybody exists in Fedora....

Old 06-18-2008, 05:57 PM
"Ross S. W. Walker"

Karanbir Singh wrote:

> Ross S. W. Walker wrote:
> >> You need to go back and workout what a real resourceful repo should /
> >> could / would have. If EPEL gives you all that, your' done. For a vast
> >> majority of the rest of us, it doesnt and the way their mandate works,
> >> it wont.
> >
> > This is a CentOS users list. It is for users of CentOS to FREELY voice
> > their opinions on and about CentOS. If you don't like my opinion, fine,
> > but you have no right to tell me I am wrong.
>
> But you are wrong, you claimed with authority that EPEL are trying to be
> the everything-repo, which they are not and cant be. You are free to
> voice an opinion, but if you are wrong, you are wrong.

If EPEL does not play with other repos and does not intend to,
then one can extrapolate from that they are intending or aiming
to be a one-stop repo.

Whether they are successful in that endeavor is left to the user
to decide.

-Ross

Old 06-18-2008, 06:00 PM
"Ross S. W. Walker"

Bent Terp wrote:

> On Wed, Jun 18, 2008 at 6:27 PM, Ross S. W. Walker <RWalker@medallion.com> wrote:
> > If they manage to port all the Fedora extras over for EL then I
> > would say that is pretty darn close to one-stop shop for RPMs.
>
> Assuming that all software ever needed by anybody exists in Fedora....

Of course it won't be, it never will, but what isn't can be obtained
either through, 1) building your own RPM, 2) downloading another
pre-built RPM, or 3) building from source in /usr/local.

The idea is to have a repo where the occurrence of such is at a
minimal.

-Ross

Old 06-18-2008, 06:49 PM
Frank Cox

On Wed, 18 Jun 2008 14:38:49 +0100
Karanbir Singh <mail-lists@karan.org> wrote:

> rpmfusion never intended to support CentOS or any EL distro, they are
> very much Fedora centric, so you should go talk to them about it

The very first line on the web page at http://rpmfusion.org says "RPM Fusion is
a merger of the following package repositories for Fedora and Red Hat
Enterprise Linux ".

Old 06-18-2008, 07:24 PM
Karanbir Singh