Old 06-17-2008, 09:53 PM
Robert Moskowitz

Default USB Ethernet dongles

Speaking of USB devices (recent thread on wireless USB), I need at
least 4 USB ethernet dongles, cheap. So on EBay I found:

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-10-100-USB-to-Ethernet-Network-LAN-Adapter-NIC-RJ45_W0QQitemZ230262173544QQihZ013QQcategoryZ11182 QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/USB-2-0-to-RJ45-LAN-Ethernet-Network-Adapter-Vista-A37_W0QQitemZ160249647807QQihZ006QQcategoryZ67279Q QssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/USB-to-10-100-MB-LAN-Ethernet-Network-Adapter-Converter_W0QQitemZ230261665893QQihZ013QQcategoryZ 11182QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Now these specific auctions have ended, but these items are there from
the sellers multiple times.

Trying to find out if any of them will work for Centos. One is listed
as using RealTek chipset, but not which one.

I asked the sellers about chipsets to find out about Linux support and
the first one listed the seller just restated it works for Windows....

Any help would be appreciated. I need these for test systems so best is
it works and is cheap....

Old 06-17-2008, 11:07 PM
Ignacio Vazquez-Abrams

On Tue, 2008-06-17 at 17:53 -0400, Robert Moskowitz wrote:
> Speaking of USB devices (recent thread on wireless USB), I need at
> least 4 USB ethernet dongles, cheap. So on EBay I found:

99% of all USB wired NICS are Linux-compatible (even the cheesy
host-to-host devices), thanks to the "Ethernet" USB device class.