Old 06-17-2008, 09:30 PM
Benjamin Smith

Default apt on Centos 5.1

On Tuesday 17 June 2008, Mike wrote:
> Just read on planet centos that you can easily install apt on Centos too
> using yum.

Why would you want to do this?

-Ben

--
Only those who reach toward a goal are likely to achieve it.

believed to be clean.

Old 06-17-2008, 10:28 PM
"Stephen John Smoogen"

On Tue, Jun 17, 2008 at 3:30 PM, Benjamin Smith
<lists@benjamindsmith.com> wrote:
> On Tuesday 17 June 2008, Mike wrote:
>> Just read on planet centos that you can easily install apt on Centos too
>> using yum.
>
> Why would you want to do this?

Some people like the apt interface more than the yum interface. Some
people feel that it is faster or meets their needs better. The reasons
are outlined in DAGs post. Personally, I would rather port yum to
debian systems.. so I can understand the want.

--
Stephen J Smoogen. -- BSD/GNU/Linux

Old 06-18-2008, 10:58 AM
henry ritzlmayr

Am Dienstag, den 17.06.2008, 16:28 -0600 schrieb Stephen John Smoogen:
> On Tue, Jun 17, 2008 at 3:30 PM, Benjamin Smith
> <lists@benjamindsmith.com> wrote:
> > On Tuesday 17 June 2008, Mike wrote:
> >> Just read on planet centos that you can easily install apt on Centos too
> >> using yum.
> >
> > Why would you want to do this?
> >

> Some people like the apt interface more than the yum interface. Some
> people feel that it is faster or meets their needs better. The reasons
> are outlined in DAGs post. Personally, I would rather port yum to
> debian systems.. so I can understand the want.

Especially interfaces on top of apt like aptitude need this as well. I
personally prefer ncurses based interfaces over X-graphical ones when it
comes to server management on remote sites.

Henry

Old 06-18-2008, 12:52 PM
Johnny Hughes

Mike wrote:

Just read on planet centos that you can easily install apt on Centos too using yum.

However, I get :

[root@mike-2 ~]# yum install apt
Setting up Install Process
Setting up repositories
Parsing package install arguments
Nothing to do

So not sure what I am missing ..

And sorry if this isn't the right place to ask

Linux and CentOS are about choice.

Dag is a CentOS Developer and he does like apt. I'm sure Dag (and
others) can help with apt questions here.

That said there are alot of features in yum (like fastestmirror,
priorities, installonlyn, and repoquery) that are not available in apt.
There are also probably features in apt that are not in yum.

Apt may easy to install and user friendly ... heck, it may even be
better than yum, however it is not officially supported. The officially
supported way to do updates on CentOS is yum ... and yumex is in the
CentOS Extras repo as a GUI based system for updates.

You can certainly ask about apt on CentOS here, though most of the
CentOS developers use yum and the QA testing we do is with yum and not apt.

This is not meant to be negative about apt use, just point out that yum
is the official way to do updates.

Thanks,
Johnny Hughes

Old 06-18-2008, 04:54 PM
MHR

On Wed, Jun 18, 2008 at 5:52 AM, Johnny Hughes <johnny@centos.org> wrote:

:

> Apt may easy to install and user friendly ... heck, it may even be better
> than yum, however it is not officially supported. The officially supported
> way to do updates on CentOS is yum ... and yumex is in the CentOS Extras
> repo as a GUI based system for updates.

There's also pirut, the "built-in" graphical updater (that I never
use, but I'm a command line junkie from WAY back).

mhr

Old 06-18-2008, 06:34 PM
Scott Silva

on 6-18-2008 5:52 AM Johnny Hughes spake the following:

Mike wrote:
[...]

And I would assume that apt won't be able to update from the CentOS repos.

--
MailScanner is like deodorant...
You hope everybody uses it, and

Old 06-19-2008, 07:19 AM
"Tom G. Christensen"

Scott Silva wrote:
<snip>

And I would assume that apt won't be able to update from the CentOS repos.

Your assumption is wrong.
As Dag explained on his blog modern apt-rpm supports repomd format and
can use the same repositories as yum.

-tgc

Old 06-20-2008, 01:58 AM
Dag Wieers