Old 06-17-2008, 07:01 PM
"Michael Peterson"

Default Virtual Box

Has anyone else tried and successfully installed CentOS 5.1 into the latest
(1.62) Virtual Box in Windows XP Pro?

I can get Ubuntu and EasyS to install fine but CentOS and Fedora so far fail
to install even after several attempts.
With CentOS 5.1 it keeps saying not enough disk space even if I allocate 32
GB and 64 GB of virtual space.
I have at least 40+ GB free on the hard drive.

Checked by AVG.
7:20 AM

Old 06-17-2008, 08:44 PM
Ralph Angenendt

Michael Peterson wrote:

> Has anyone else tried and successfully installed CentOS 5.1 into the latest
> (1.62) Virtual Box in Windows XP Pro?

Works on VirtualBox 1.6 in OSX.

> Checked by AVG.
> 7:20 AM

Do you see a need to advertise for that company? If not turn that off
please (or put it in a header).

Ralph

Old 03-19-2009, 07:39 PM
Armin

On Friday 20 March 2009 17:18:21 Paul W. Frields wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 20, 2009 at 03:21:24PM -0300, Martín Marqués wrote:
> > I'm trying to do some virtualization testing and I wanted to see
> > Virtual Box that everybody is talking alot about. The thing is that I
> > can't find the virtualbox packages in the fedora repository. Does it
> > have some strange name?
>
> VirtualBox is free as in free beer, but it's not entirely free as in
> free speech. Its license prohibits some use, meaning it can't be free
> software. (One of the key freedoms of free software is the freedom to
> use it for any purpose.) That's why we don't carry it in Fedora.
>
> I'm surprised that more people don't just install the "Virtualization"
> group using yum, and use the Virtual Machine Manager (virt-manager) to
> create virtual machines. I do this all the time on my Fedora 10 box
> and it works like a charm.
>
> su -c 'yum groupinstall Virtualization ; service libvirtd start'
>
> Then run Applications > System Tools > Virtual Machine Manager.
>
> To install from a CD or DVD ISO image that you have on your hard disk,
> make sure you set its SELinux context properly:
>
> su -c 'chcon -t virt_image_t /path/to/some-os-image.iso'

Thanks Paul, I have also been looking for an alternative to VirtualBox, it
being non-free has been bothering me a lot!

--
Armin Moradi

Old 03-20-2009, 05:21 PM
Martín Marqués

I'm trying to do some virtualization testing and I wanted to see
Virtual Box that everybody is talking alot about. The thing is that I
can't find the virtualbox packages in the fedora repository. Does it
have some strange name?

And BTW, is there any good HowTo to get started with Virtual Box?

--
Martín Marqués
DBA, Programador, Administrador

Old 03-20-2009, 05:23 PM
Aly Dharshi

Grab it from Sun's site ! Also checkout www.virtualbox.org !

ASD.

Martín Marqués wrote:

I'm trying to do some virtualization testing and I wanted to see
Virtual Box that everybody is talking alot about. The thing is that I
can't find the virtualbox packages in the fedora repository. Does it
have some strange name?

And BTW, is there any good HowTo to get started with Virtual Box?

--
Aly S.P Dharshi
aly.dharshi@telus.net

Old 03-20-2009, 05:25 PM
Allan Swanepoel

I'm trying to do some virtualization testing and I wanted to see

Virtual Box that everybody is talking alot about. The thing is that I

can't find the virtualbox packages in the fedora repository. Does it

have some strange name?

And BTW, is there any good HowTo to get started with Virtual Box?
Look at*http://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Downloads*to downloadand*http://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Documentation*for documentation..

The process is very well documented, and I have successfully implemented this multiple times*

--

Martín Marqués

DBA, Programador, Administrador

We live in an age when pizza gets to your home before the police.
*- Jeff Marder

Allan Swanepoel
allanice001@gmail.com

allanice.001@unix.net
dragonmaster@linaccess.com
+27 84 507 8492
Linux User #452990
Linux Machine #360914

Old 03-20-2009, 07:18 PM
"Paul W. Frields"

Old 03-20-2009, 07:32 PM
Aldo Foot

2009/3/20 Paul W. Frields <stickster@gmail.com>:
> On Fri, Mar 20, 2009 at 03:21:24PM -0300, Martín Marqués wrote:
>> I'm trying to do some virtualization testing and I wanted to see
>> Virtual Box that everybody is talking alot about. The thing is that I
>> can't find the virtualbox packages in the fedora repository. Does it
>> have some strange name?
>
> VirtualBox is free as in free beer, but it's not entirely free as in
> free speech. *Its license prohibits some use, meaning it can't be free
> software. *(One of the key freedoms of free software is the freedom to
> use it for any purpose.) *That's why we don't carry it in Fedora.
>
> I'm surprised that more people don't just install the "Virtualization"
> group using yum, and use the Virtual Machine Manager (virt-manager) to
> create virtual machines. *I do this all the time on my Fedora 10 box
> and it works like a charm.
>
> *su -c 'yum groupinstall Virtualization ; service libvirtd start'
>
> Then run Applications > System Tools > Virtual Machine Manager.
>
> To install from a CD or DVD ISO image that you have on your hard disk,
> make sure you set its SELinux context properly:
>
> *su -c 'chcon -t virt_image_t /path/to/some-os-image.iso'
____

That's just how I do it. I've installed a WinXp VM in my F10 box.
KVM and QEMU work just fine.
I think VirtualBox may be preferred because it appears more
manageable in the surface.

~af

Old 03-20-2009, 08:14 PM
Tom Horsley

On Fri, 20 Mar 2009 13:32:23 -0700
Aldo Foot wrote:

> I think VirtualBox may be preferred because it appears more
> manageable in the surface.

A friend at work who uses it says it is vastly easier to
do things like pass USB devices through to the virtual hardware
with VirtualBox than with anything else he has tried,
so he can do things like use Windows scanner software for
scanners not supported by anything in linux.

Old 03-20-2009, 08:23 PM
Mike Burger

Tom Horsley wrote:

On Fri, 20 Mar 2009 13:32:23 -0700
I think VirtualBox may be preferred because it appears more
manageable in the surface.

A friend at work who uses it says it is vastly easier to
do things like pass USB devices through to the virtual hardware
with VirtualBox than with anything else he has tried,
so he can do things like use Windows scanner software for
scanners not supported by anything in linux.

I have to agree...at this point, I simply installed the VirtualBox RPM,
ran the setup, started up VirtualBox, and voila!!!