Old 06-16-2008, 04:44 PM
"Peter Reinhardt"

Default extremely slow network connection

Dear all,
on a brand new DELL computer CentOS 5.1 installs well, but the
internet connection is extremely slow (8 kB/s, indeed kiloBytes !).
Did anyone find a solution to that problem ? It might be more
DELL specific than CentOS specific.

Yours,
Peter

--
v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v
> Peter Reinhardt | Maître de Conférences <
> Lab. Chimie Théorique | (HDR) <
> Université Paris VI | <
> 4 place Jussieu, case 137 | Tél.: +33(0)1 44 27 9657 <
> F -- 75252 Paris, France | Fax.: 4117 <
> email: Peter.Reinhardt@upmc.fr <
> Web: http://www.lct.jussieu.fr/pagesperso/reinh <
^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^

Old 06-16-2008, 04:53 PM
Dag Wieers

On Mon, 16 Jun 2008, Peter Reinhardt wrote:

Dear all,
on a brand new DELL computer CentOS 5.1 installs well, but the
internet connection is extremely slow (8 kB/s, indeed kiloBytes !).
Did anyone find a solution to that problem ? It might be more
DELL specific than CentOS specific.

That is why I would probably ask DELL support (or look to see if they have
their own set of drivers for this model) and ask on their
forums/mailinglist.

PS It would probably help to say what DELL hardware or at least what
brand/model of Network Interface Card to have any meaningful conversation

Old 06-16-2008, 05:00 PM
Walid

I had an issue with PE1950, however [r|w]mem settings in sysctl from RHEL4 helped, however it is in a high speed gigabit LAN

-- * dag wieers, *dag@centos.org, *http://dag.wieers.com/ * --

Old 06-16-2008, 05:03 PM
wonderer

Hy,

we are using mostly DELL Enterprise Hardware and have no problems. I
think this could be a machine-based problem...
What says ping, tracroute and maybe whireshark to the network connection
to other local Computers?

cheers
Henrik

Old 06-16-2008, 06:40 PM
"Peter Reinhardt"

Dear Hendrik, Dag and Wealid,
thank you for the replies; to be more specific, here is some more info:
its a DELL Optiplex 755, with a 2 Gb/s onboard card. I did not write this
because the same happens with an additional, elder 3Com card and Fedora 9,
with a 2.6.25 kernel. Monitor and SATA disk work fine.

The computer is on a local switch together with an older computer, which
in turn communicates well at 25 MB/s with all the rest of the world.
At Dell's they propose a hardware support, however not for that model.
Nevertheless they support officially CentOS.
That's why I asked whether anyone had encoutered the same problem already,
and could perhaps provide a solution.

Yours,
Peter

Old 06-16-2008, 07:56 PM
Tony Wicks

The computer is on a local switch together with an older computer, which
in turn communicates well at 25 MB/s with all the rest of the world.

At Dell's they propose a hardware support, however not for that model.
Nevertheless they support officially CentOS.
That's why I asked whether anyone had encoutered the same problem
already, and could perhaps provide a solution.

Yours,
Peter

I would recommend looking at your network speed/duplex negotiation with
your switch. I suspect your switch may be full duplex and your network
card half or vice versa. Try forcing your network card to various
speed/duplex settings (and your switch if it is a decent managed unit)
and re-try your testing. This is the most common cause of network
performance issues.

cheers