Old 06-16-2008, 09:00 AM
Jan-Aage Frydenbų-Bruvoll

Default Downgrade from 5.0 to 4.6?

Dear all,

I have ended up in a situation where CentOS 5.0 does not work for me -
is it feasible to downgrade from 5.0 to 4.6 while the servers are up, or
would the most sensible option be to just reinstall from scratch?

Thanks in advance + best regards
Jan

Old 06-16-2008, 09:04 AM
"Tim Verhoeven"

On Mon, Jun 16, 2008 at 11:00 AM, Jan-Aage Frydenbų-Bruvoll
<jan@brvl.com> wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> I have ended up in a situation where CentOS 5.0 does not work for me - is it
> feasible to downgrade from 5.0 to 4.6 while the servers are up, or would the
> most sensible option be to just reinstall from scratch?

A reinstall is the only option you have. The differences are to great
to be able to go back to C4.x online.

Regards,
Tim

(Linus Torvalds)

Old 06-16-2008, 09:07 AM
"Indunil Jayasooriya"

> I have ended up in a situation where CentOS 5.0 does not work for me

How can you say in that way, while I run CentOS 5 happily.

- is it feasible to downgrade from 5.0 to 4.6 while the servers are
up, or would the
> most sensible option be to just reinstall from scratch?

Yeah, You have to reinstall.

--
Thank you
Indunil Jayasooriya

Old 06-16-2008, 09:53 AM
Jan-Aage Frydenbų-Bruvoll

Indunil Jayasooriya wrote:

I have ended up in a situation where CentOS 5.0 does not work for me

How can you say in that way, while I run CentOS 5 happily.

Well - I end up compiling too many things from source, and if that's the
case, I know of distros that I find better suited to that kind of
situation. Most of the things I need seem to be available from contrib
for the 4.x series - hence the question of downgrading.

Best regards
Jan

Old 06-16-2008, 09:57 AM
"Indunil Jayasooriya"

> Well - I end up compiling too many things from source, and if that's the
> case, I know of distros that I find better suited to that kind of situation.
> Most of the things I need seem to be available from contrib for the 4.x
> series - hence the question of downgrading.

Agreed

--
Thank you
Indunil Jayasooriya