Old 06-15-2008, 07:42 PM
MHR

Default USB Wireless device for CentOS?

I need to get a wireless device for an upcoming trip (USB is
preferable to PCMCIA for a long list of reasons) and I'm wondering if
anyone has any experience with or recommendations for such items,
particularly which ones work with Linux/CentOS. Right now I'm
debating between a reasonably cheap Belkin 54G and a slightly more
expensive Netgear 54G.

Thanks.

mhr

Old 06-15-2008, 07:58 PM
Terry Polzin

Old 06-15-2008, 08:44 PM
MHR

On Sun, Jun 15, 2008 at 12:58 PM, Terry Polzin <foxec208@wowway.com> wrote:

> Anything that has the Zydas chip set just works so long as you've installed
> the firmware which I believe is available with v4x, 5x as an RPM

Interesting - the google page for zydas usb units lists nothing by the
big names (netgear, dlink, linksys or belkin) and only the "off"
brands like TrendWARE and Zonet.

Also according to google hits, the zydas driver is incorporated into
the 2.6.18 kernel, so it should already be in CentOS 5.x (yeah!).

I'll post what I find....

Thanks.

mhr

Old 06-15-2008, 09:06 PM
"Lanny Marcus"

On 6/15/08, MHR <mhullrich@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 15, 2008 at 12:58 PM, Terry Polzin <foxec208@wowway.com> wrote:
>>
>> Anything that has the Zydas chip set just works so long as you've
>> installed
>> the firmware which I believe is available with v4x, 5x as an RPM
>>

> Interesting - the google page for zydas usb units lists nothing by the
> big names (netgear, dlink, linksys or belkin) and only the "off"
> brands like TrendWARE and Zonet.
>
> Also according to google hits, the zydas driver is incorporated into
> the 2.6.18 kernel, so it should already be in CentOS 5.x (yeah!).
>
> I'll post what I find....

Check out the specs on the Netgear and other web sites, to see if you
can find out which chip they use. If not, send an email to their Sales
or Tech Support Department and ask which chip they use in the unit(s)
you are considering. So far, I don't think we've ever had a failure,
with anything from Netgear, but other companies make good products
too.

Old 06-16-2008, 08:12 AM
tech

MHR wrote:

I need to get a wireless device for an upcoming trip (USB is
preferable to PCMCIA for a long list of reasons)

I have a tp-link tl-wn322g.

The folks at tp-link were very easy to contact and helpful. They
provided me the driver for it by e-mail

Mel

Old 06-16-2008, 05:03 PM
Karanbir Singh

tech wrote:

MHR wrote:

I need to get a wireless device for an upcoming trip (USB is
preferable to PCMCIA for a long list of reasons)

I have a tp-link tl-wn322g.

The folks at tp-link were very easy to contact and helpful. They
provided me the driver for it by e-mail

if the driver is Open source, perhaps you should ask them to create a
ticket at https://projects.centos.org/trac/dasha/ and we can roll that
into a usable kmod+DD

Old 06-17-2008, 05:56 PM
Johnny Hughes

http://wireless.kernel.org/en/users/Devices/USB

Old 06-17-2008, 06:36 PM
MHR

On Tue, Jun 17, 2008 at 10:56 AM, Johnny Hughes <johnny@centos.org> wrote:

> http://wireless.kernel.org/en/users/Devices/USB

That is /awesome,/ Johnny - thank you, thank you, thank you!

I noticed that the Trendnet TEW-424UB is on the list - does anyone
have any experience with this one? It's really cheap, but the people
at Micro Center (where I can get it locally) consider Trendnet stuff
to be junk (and, actually, I had a Trendnet router for about a week
before I gave up on it and wound up with a really excellent D-Link one
instead).

Also, does anyone know when the Belkin F5D7050 became available with v
4000? That would be my second choice (unless the Trendnet really is
junk, in which case it would be my first).

Thanks (again).

mhr

Old 06-17-2008, 09:48 PM
Ignacio Vazquez-Abrams

On Tue, 2008-06-17 at 11:36 -0700, MHR wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 17, 2008 at 10:56 AM, Johnny Hughes <johnny@centos.org> wrote:
> >
> > http://wireless.kernel.org/en/users/Devices/USB
> >

> That is /awesome,/ Johnny - thank you, thank you, thank you!
>
> I noticed that the Trendnet TEW-424UB is on the list - does anyone
> have any experience with this one? It's really cheap, but the people
> at Micro Center (where I can get it locally) consider Trendnet stuff
> to be junk (and, actually, I had a Trendnet router for about a week
> before I gave up on it and wound up with a really excellent D-Link one
> instead).

It needs a better antenna. Skip.