Old 06-14-2008, 10:29 PM
Jerry Geis

Default getting device to boot from thumb drive

I have created a custom kernel as I needed to add floating point
emulation to the kernel.

I used the command below to create my initrd:

mkinitrd --preload=ohci-hcd --preload=uhci-hcd --preload=ehci-hcd
--preload=ext3 --preload=jbd --preload=scsi_mod --preload=sd_mod
--preload=ata_piix --preload=libata /boot/initrd-2.6.9-67.ELmsgnet.img
2.6.9-67.ELmsgnet

When I copy my vmlinuz and initrd to my ext partition of my thumbdrive
I get the initial grub screen, centos starts booting, kernel starts
uncompressing,

I get the following:

Unable to locate RDSP
RedHat nash version 4.2.1.13 starting
sda: assuming drive cache: write through
sda: assuming drive cache: write through

Then it just sits there. Nothing else happens.

What might else I need to get this thumb drive booting?
I compiled the kernel in i386 math emulation is the only items I changed.
I started with i586.

Thanks,

Jerry

Old 06-14-2008, 10:52 PM
Jerry Geis

Jerry Geis wrote:
[...]

I edited the /etc/fstab and instead of a label I change the first entry to:
/dev/sda1 / ext3 defaults 1 1

Now it boots much further. I get to a point where is says "mount error 6
mounting ext3"
However from above I have preloaded ext3, I see the Loading ext3 while
its booting.

I see scsi0: SCSI emulation line
I see sda: sda1 sda2 (which are my 2 partitions)

Then I see:
Creating root device
Mounting root filesystem
and mount error 6 mounting ext3.

Not sure what I am not doing as my mkinitrd command above preloads ext3
What am I missing?

Thanks,

Jerry