Old 06-13-2008, 07:30 PM
Matt Hyclak

Default enabling maildir @ cli

On Fri, Jun 13, 2008 at 03:28:28PM -0400, Ray Leventhal enlightened us:
> I'm following a how-to for ISPConfig using CentOS5.1 and have run into
> the following instruction:
>
> -----
> Dovecot uses Maildir format (not mbox), so if you install ISPConfig on
> the server, please make sure you enable Maildir under Management ->
> Server -> Settings -> Email. ISPConfig will then do the necessary
> configuration.
> ----
>
> Since I'm ssh'd in to the box and X isn't installed, what's the CLI to
> accomplish this?

You'll probably want to ask the ISPConfig folks.

Matt

--
Matt Hyclak
Department of Mathematics

Old 06-13-2008, 07:41 PM
Ray Leventhal

-
Dovecot uses Maildir format (not mbox), so if you install ISPConfig on
the server, please make sure you enable Maildir under Management ->
Server -> Settings -> Email. ISPConfig will then do the necessary
configuration.

----

Since I'm ssh'd in to the box and X isn't installed, what's the CLI to
accomplish this?

You'll probably want to ask the ISPConfig folks.

Matt

If it were an ISPConfig question, I would...I simply was asking what the
matching command line was for a corresponding action in X. Please let
me know if I'm wrong, but this isn't OT, nor is it ISPConfig related.

Old 06-13-2008, 07:42 PM
"S.Tindall"

I'm following a how-to for ISPConfig using CentOS5.1 and have
run into the following instruction:

-----
Dovecot uses Maildir format (not mbox), so if you install
ISPConfig on the server, please make sure you enable Maildir
under Management -> Server -> Settings -> Email. ISPConfig will
then do the necessary configuration.

----

Since I'm ssh'd in to the box and X isn't installed, what's the
CLI to accomplish this?

# vi /etc/dovecot.conf

See: http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/postfix

Or: http://wiki.dovecot.org/MailLocation/Maildir

When all else fails, read the instructions.

Steve

Old 06-13-2008, 07:44 PM
mouss

Matt Hyclak wrote:

On Fri, Jun 13, 2008 at 03:28:28PM -0400, Ray Leventhal enlightened us:

I'm following a how-to for ISPConfig using CentOS5.1 and have run into
the following instruction:

-----
Dovecot uses Maildir format (not mbox), so if you install ISPConfig on
the server, please make sure you enable Maildir under Management ->
Server -> Settings -> Email. ISPConfig will then do the necessary
configuration.

----

Since I'm ssh'd in to the box and X isn't installed, what's the CLI to
accomplish this?

You'll probably want to ask the ISPConfig folks.

indeed. That said:
- dovecot supports mbox as well.
- what is the benefit of a gui when one uses ssh... ?

Old 06-13-2008, 07:47 PM
Matt Hyclak

On Fri, Jun 13, 2008 at 03:41:48PM -0400, Ray Leventhal enlightened us:
> -
> >>Dovecot uses Maildir format (not mbox), so if you install ISPConfig on
> >>the server, please make sure you enable Maildir under Management ->
> >>Server -> Settings -> Email. ISPConfig will then do the necessary
> >>configuration.
> >>----
> >>
> >>Since I'm ssh'd in to the box and X isn't installed, what's the CLI to
> >>accomplish this?
> >>

> >You'll probably want to ask the ISPConfig folks.
> >
> >Matt
> >

> If it were an ISPConfig question, I would...I simply was asking what the
> matching command line was for a corresponding action in X. Please let
> me know if I'm wrong, but this isn't OT, nor is it ISPConfig related.

Management -> Server -> Settings -> Email is most likely an ISPConfig thing,
since I don't recall ever seeing that in a CentOS menu anywhere. So without
knowing what that is doing, we can't tell you what commands you might run
over SSH to make the equivalent changes.

Most likely it involves changing the configuration file for your MTA
(Postfix, exim, sendmail) - but again, we don't know what that is, so we
can't tell you.

There's not going to be one magic command you can run to "enable Maildir" on
your server.

Matt

--
Matt Hyclak
Department of Mathematics

Old 06-13-2008, 07:48 PM
mouss

Ray Leventhal wrote:

-
Dovecot uses Maildir format (not mbox), so if you install ISPConfig
on the server, please make sure you enable Maildir under Management
-> Server -> Settings -> Email. ISPConfig will then do the necessary
configuration.

----

Since I'm ssh'd in to the box and X isn't installed, what's the CLI
to accomplish this?

You'll probably want to ask the ISPConfig folks.

Matt

If it were an ISPConfig question, I would...I simply was asking what
the matching command line was for a corresponding action in X. Please
let me know if I'm wrong, but this isn't OT, nor is it ISPConfig related.

what is the question then? is it how to configure dovecot to use maildir
or how to configure the MTA (postfix, sendmail, ...) to deliver to
maildir or how to configure the MDA (maildrop, procmail, ...) to deliver
to maildir?

if it's to configure dovecot to use maildir instead of mbox, then the
dovecot list and docs are a better place. the short answer is something like

mail_location = maildir:/var/Mail/domains/%d/%n/Maildir
in dovecot.conf. but we cannot reproduce dovecot documentation here.

but you'd better have the MTA or MDA deliver to the same place. the easy
way is to use dovecot LDA as your delivery agent.

Old 06-13-2008, 07:53 PM
Ray Leventhal

Thanks for the answers, pointers and help.

Haste makes not only waste, but exposes inexperience, as it has done
here. (my own, of course)