-   -   is CentOS an LSB certified product? (http://www.linux-archive.org/centos/105970-centos-lsb-certified-product.html)

Nicholas 06-13-2008 06:59 AM

is CentOS an LSB certified product?

Hi all,

Would anyone know if CentOS 4 and 5 is LSB certified?

I have not found any info on RH being LSB certified either. Is RH also
LSB certified?

In case you need to know, I am compiling a list of LSB certified Linux
just for comparison as to who would want to be LSB certified. Just to
see if it matters to ppl if it matters to be certified.

---

Join OSCC MAMPU Mailing Lists
http://lists.oscc.org.my/mailman/listinfo/oscc-discuss

Morten Nilsen 06-13-2008 07:02 AM

Nicholas wrote:

Just to see if it matters to ppl if it matters to be certified.

And what, pray tell, is LSB?

--
Cheers, Morten
:wq

Nicholas 06-13-2008 07:03 AM

is CentOS an LSB certified product?

Correction:

RHEL 5 is LSB 3.1. Does this mean CentOS 5 is automatically LSB 3.1?

Nicholas wrote:

Hi all,

Would anyone know if CentOS 4 and 5 is LSB certified?

I have not found any info on RH being LSB certified either. Is RH also
LSB certified?

In case you need to know, I am compiling a list of LSB certified Linux
just for comparison as to who would want to be LSB certified. Just to
see if it matters to ppl if it matters to be certified.

--
Nicholas A. Suppiah
Training & Certification Manager

---

Ian Blackwell 06-13-2008 07:09 AM

is CentOS an LSB certified product?

Morten Nilsen wrote:
And
what, pray tell, is LSB?

http://www.linuxfoundation.org/en/LSB

<quote>

About the Linux Standard
Base (LSB)

The Linux Standard Base delivers interoperability between
applications and the Linux operating system. Currently all major
distributions comply with the LSB and many major application vendors,
like MySQL, RealNetworks and SAP, are certifying. The LSB offers a
cost-effective way for application vendors to target multiple Linux
distributions while building only one software package. For end-users,
the LSB and its mark of interoperability preserves choice by allowing
them to select the applications and distributions they want while
avoiding vendor lock-in. LSB certification of distributions results in
more applications being ported to Linux and ensures that distribution
vendors are compatible with those applications. In short, the LSB
ensures Linux does not fragment.

If you are an end user looking for Linux distributions that support
open standards, please see our list of LSB certified products.

If you are a developer looking to build portable Linux applications
that will work on these distributions, please see the Linux
Developer Network.</quote>

GS R 06-13-2008 08:06 AM

is CentOS an LSB certified product?

Morten Nilsen wrote:
Nicholas

Linux Standard Base (LSB) - http://www.linuxfoundation.org/en/LSB

"Victor Padro" 06-13-2008 08:25 AM

is CentOS an LSB certified product?

On Fri, Jun 13, 2008 at 3:06 AM, GS R <gsrlinux@gmail.com> wrote:

Morten Nilsen wrote:
Nicholas

https://www.linuxfoundation.org/lsb-cert/productdir.php?by_lsb

Ralph Angenendt 06-13-2008 08:57 AM

Nicholas wrote:
> Correction:
>
> RHEL 5 is LSB 3.1. Does this mean CentOS 5 is automatically LSB 3.1?

Yes. But we may not call it so, as CentOS is *not* certified by the
Linux Foundation. But the LSB tests should run without any problem on

If anyone wants to sponsor that - feel free to contact the CentOS team,
as the fees are pretty high:

<https://www.linuxfoundation.org/en/Fee_Schedule>

And the product has to be retested after each maintenance release (5.1,
5.2, 5.3) ...

But you could also donate that kind of money to the CentOS project if
you want to express how you feel about CentOS :)

Cheers,

Ralph

Ralph Angenendt 06-13-2008 09:00 AM

Ralph Angenendt wrote:
> But the LSB tests should run without any problem on

CentOS 5.

Ralph

Dag Wieers 06-13-2008 09:16 AM

is CentOS an LSB certified product?

RHEL 5 is LSB 3.1. Does this mean CentOS 5 is automatically LSB 3.1?

Yes. But we may not call it so, as CentOS is *not* certified by the
Linux Foundation. But the LSB tests should run without any problem on

If anyone wants to sponsor that - feel free to contact the CentOS team,
as the fees are pretty high:

<https://www.linuxfoundation.org/en/Fee_Schedule>

And the product has to be retested after each maintenance release (5.1,
5.2, 5.3) ...

To be honest, I think that is where we are different from RHEL.

If you need absolute assurance that CentOS is LSB certified on paper
before corporate management, buy RHEL entitlements and drop CentOS.

If you can live with CentOS and do not need the added value from Red Hat
(support, EAL/LSB certification, legal indemnification for IP
infringement, hardware/software certification) stick with CentOS.

But if your business relies on CentOS, your business relies on Red Hat as
well. There is at least a moral duty to think what that is worth to your
business and act accordingly.

R P Herrold 06-13-2008 01:32 PM

is CentOS an LSB certified product?