Old 07-02-2008, 05:43 AM
Nicholas

Default is CentOS an LSB certified product?

Yes, thats another problem.

Les Mikesell wrote:

Nicholas wrote:

Its not a matter of licensing.

Since the days of various Linux distros, coming up with diff schemes
made it difficult for developers to target a Linux. Hence the need to
give the source, go compile in your own system mentality. This puts
off many non techie ppl.

Just imagine when a driver or application can be packaged
irregardless of the linux distro and it doesnt need a technical
person to install. Wont this makes it easier for entry into Linux?
for end-user and developers?

That sounds nice, but it would be a lot more believable if we hadn't
already been through several version of LSB specs without any such
thing happening.

---

Join OSCC MAMPU Mailing Lists
http://lists.oscc.org.my/mailman/listinfo/oscc-discuss

Old 07-02-2008, 09:42 AM
Rudi Ahlers

Nicholas wrote:

Its not a matter of licensing.

Since the days of various Linux distros, coming up with diff schemes
made it difficult for developers to target a Linux. Hence the need to
give the source, go compile in your own system mentality. This puts
off many non techie ppl.

Just imagine when a driver or application can be packaged irregardless
of the linux distro and it doesnt need a technical person to install.
Wont this makes it easier for entry into Linux? for end-user and
developers?

Rudi Ahlers wrote:

Ross S. W. Walker wrote:

Rudi Ahlers wrote:

Sorry to ask this, but what exactly is the LSB? What will CentOS
(and probably) the community gain from it? I mean, apart from
RedHat Enterprise, Suse Enterpise and the other commercial Linux's,
most other linuxes are not certified AFAIK.

I know CentOS stands out above the rest in many areas, and is very
close to RedHat, in many aspects. But won't a certification shove
it into the commercial software "class"

LSB or Linux Standard Base, is a way of assuring VARs, developers and
contractors that the Linux systems that are certified under this all
have a standard file system structure and contain a defined set of
minimum system utilities.

This way when they write software they can be rest assured that if the
system is LSB certified that it will contain the 'bash' utility, that
utility will be in /usr/bin, man pages will be in /usr/share/man, etc.

This way they only have to write 1 set of installation packages and
not a separate package for each Linux distribution they wish to
develop for.

-Ross

Cool, thanx for the explanation I suppose it doesn't change the
licensing at all.

Sure, it will make the transition smoother for gamers, sound engineers,
etc who need those extra drivers, but how would it work for the
different distro's? I mean, if we have CentOS LSB, and the directory &
file structure is standard complaint, does it mean other distro's will
need todo that as well, or will it mean that hardware developers will
only write their drivers for the specific distro's which are LSB complaint?

--

Kind Regards
Rudi Ahlers

Web: http://www.SoftDux.com
Check out my technical blog, http://blog.softdux.com for Linux or other technical stuff, or visit http://www.WebHostingTalk.co.za for Web Hosting stuff

Old 07-02-2008, 01:48 PM
John R Pierce

Rudi Ahlers wrote:
Sure, it will make the transition smoother for gamers, sound
engineers, etc who need those extra drivers, but how would it work for
the different distro's? I mean, if we have CentOS LSB, and the
directory & file structure is standard complaint, does it mean other
distro's will need todo that as well, or will it mean that hardware
developers will only write their drivers for the specific distro's
which are LSB complaint?

LSB doesn't do squat for drivers as there's no binary compatibility at
all between even different sub-level revisions of the kernel. the
kernel team has pretty much ensured that binary driver compatibility
will never happen... the attitude is that all drivers should be source
code and should be managed by the kernel team, however, this flies in
the face of hardware that requires extensive trade secrets be exposed in
the driver sources. some vendors have met this in the middle with a
half-open driver model (nvidia for example) where their core
intellectual property is hidden in a binary module thats linked with an
outer source code driver 'wrapper'