Old 06-13-2008, 01:43 AM
Rogelio

Default assigning "best" gateway via DHCP

What might I do Linux-wise to create a "system" that looked at multiple
gateways and then assigned (via DHCP) the gateway that was the least
congested?

Anyone have any good suggestions in this department?

(I am planning on having a temporary wireless mesh with several
satellite uplinks, and I would like to forward requests to whichever
uplink is the least utilized)

Old 06-13-2008, 12:29 PM
"Joseph L. Casale"

>What might I do Linux-wise to create a "system" that looked at multiple
>gateways and then assigned (via DHCP) the gateway that was the least
>congested?
>
>Anyone have any good suggestions in this department?

Your assumption is that the level of congestion would remain unchanged for the
length of the lease? Maybe an alternative is something that hands out one gateway
then decides possibly what ip to masquerade with.

jlc

Old 06-13-2008, 04:52 PM
Rogelio

Joseph L. Casale wrote:

What might I do Linux-wise to create a "system" that looked at multiple
gateways and then assigned (via DHCP) the gateway that was the least
congested?

Anyone have any good suggestions in this department?

Your assumption is that the level of congestion would remain unchanged for the
length of the lease? Maybe an alternative is something that hands out one gateway
then decides possibly what ip to masquerade with.

This is a good idea, thanks. So, I'm assuming that you mean something
like this?

http://tldp.org/HOWTO/IP-Masquerade-HOWTO/

Old 06-13-2008, 05:13 PM
"Joseph L. Casale"

>This is a good idea, thanks. So, I'm assuming that you mean something
>like this?
>
>http://tldp.org/HOWTO/IP-Masquerade-HOWTO/

Yeah,
I don't know how "sexy" the solution would be, but you could poll for throughput/availability
with a script, then rewrite the iptables rule for example taking the new, preferred outside route as
your new external IP to masq with. It would be functional, and given the external link your moving
away from is likely down you probably don't have to worry about existing connections, or do you?

Once you rewrite the rule and refresh it, current connections getting masq'ed will be killed. If your
in the middle of secure connection to something/someone or a download, it will be terminated.

There is *no* way of maintaining any connection between different paths in this situation unless you
specifically have something setup with your provider that is aggregated across {n} connections, but then
we wouldn't be discussing this

jlc

Old 06-14-2008, 02:24 AM

> What might I do Linux-wise to create a "system" that looked at multiple
> gateways and then assigned (via DHCP) the gateway that was the least
> congested?
>
> Anyone have any good suggestions in this department?
>
> (I am planning on having a temporary wireless mesh with several
> satellite uplinks, and I would like to forward requests to whichever
> uplink is the least utilized)

This is in essence what routers do (select the next hop that is the
"closest" to the destination). Do you mean that your "system" plans to
utilize more than one default gateway and try and select the "best" based
on some congestion criterion?
Larry