Old 06-12-2008, 12:36 PM
Phil Schaffner

Default upgrade Fedora -> Centos

On Thu, 2008-06-12 at 15:20 +0300, Sergej Kandyla wrote:
> Hi all,
>

> Is there some way to upgrade from Fedora Core 6 to Centos 5 (on remote
> serv) ?
>
> Thanks in advice!

I would expect a migration similar to that described under "Migration
from RHEL5 to CentOS5" on http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/MigrationGuide
to work. One difference would be that some FC6 packages are likely to
be newer than the corresponding CentOS packages. The upcoming 5.2
release should help in this respect.

Please report results and consider adding to the Wiki MigrationGuide
page if successful.

Phil

Old 06-12-2008, 12:54 PM
Johnny Hughes

Phil Schaffner wrote:

Is there some way to upgrade from Fedora Core 6 to Centos 5 (on remote
serv) ?

Thanks in advice!

I would expect a migration similar to that described under "Migration
from RHEL5 to CentOS5" on http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/MigrationGuide
to work. One difference would be that some FC6 packages are likely to
be newer than the corresponding CentOS packages. The upcoming 5.2
release should help in this respect.

Actually, I would think that MOST things in fc6 would be newer.

It would be very hard to get all the CentOS things upgraded (I would
think). Maybe it would work.

I would run something like:

rpm -qa --qf 'name %{distribution}
' after the initial yum upgrade (if
it completes) and figure out how to do it.

In fact, I would setup a VM with the same package list and upgrade that
as a test and NEVER do it on an important live system as the first upgrade.