Old 06-12-2008, 06:14 AM
rajeev sharma

Default Urgent Help Required!!!!!!!!!!!

*

Hi All,

*

I am Rajeev. I have download centOS 5.1 i386 files for installing Linux. I tried my ways but my DVD is not getting recognised while booting. I have windows XP SP2 32-bit. Let me know the files that need to be burned for installing centOS 5.1 i386.

*

Queries :

1. Whether I need to burn the files in CD or DVD?

2. I have download*9 iso files, 3 torrent files and 4 txt files from http://mirror.averse.net/centos/5.1/isos/i386/*Please tell me which files I need to burn?

3. If I need to burn more than 1 iso file, how do I do that?

4. How do I install the centOS 5.1 i386 when the system starts reading the CD or DVD? (The commands please)

I am going to work in Linux from now on. This is very urgent. Please help me to learn Linux and discover new stuffs. Help is required urgently. Please help me.

*

*

Thanks & Regards,

Rajeev

*

*

*

Unlimited freedom, unlimited storage. Get it now_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org

Old 06-12-2008, 06:29 AM
Ross Cavanagh

rajeev sharma wrote:

[...]

does the computer you want to install CentOS on have a DVD drive or CD
drive?

If it has a DVD drive use [and burn it onto a DVD] -
CentOS-5.1-i386-bin-DVD.iso
<http://mirror.averse.net/centos/5.1/isos/i386/CentOS-5.1-i386-bin-DVD.iso>
If it had a CD drive use [and burn it onto CD - well, a total of 6] -
CentOS-5.1-i386-bin-1of6.iso
<http://mirror.averse.net/centos/5.1/isos/i386/CentOS-5.1-i386-bin-1of6.iso>
[and the rest, up to 6of6]

Probably check out something like this...
http://www.howtoforge.com/installation-guide-centos5.1-desktop

When you said your going to work in Linux, I just guesses that this
would be a desktop system.

Google is your friend, and also check things like the CentOS wiki
http://wiki.centos.org/

Subjects are great things too ;-)

-Ross-

Old 06-12-2008, 06:30 AM
John R Pierce

rajeev sharma wrote:

*

Hi All,

*

I am Rajeev. I have download centOS 5.1 i386 files for
installing Linux. I tried my ways but my DVD is not getting recognised
while booting. I have windows XP SP2 32-bit. Let me know the files that
need to be burned for installing centOS 5.1 i386.

*

CentOS-5.1-i386-bin-1of6.iso
2007-Nov-25 04:52:46
624.8M
application/x-iso9660-image

CentOS-5.1-i386-bin-2of6.iso
2007-Nov-25 04:55:16
631.6M
application/x-iso9660-image

CentOS-5.1-i386-bin-3of6.iso
2007-Nov-25 04:58:17
617.5M
application/x-iso9660-image

CentOS-5.1-i386-bin-4of6.iso
2007-Nov-25 05:00:55
635.4M
application/x-iso9660-image

CentOS-5.1-i386-bin-5of6.iso
2007-Nov-25 05:03:20
631.1M
application/x-iso9660-image

CentOS-5.1-i386-bin-6of6.iso
2007-Nov-25 05:05:51
528.1M
application/x-iso9660-image

Thats CD 1 through 6.* CD 1 is bootable.** You can use this set of 6
CDs to install, only the first one is absolutely required if you select
a 'minimum' install, otherwise the rest will be needed for various
packages.*

CentOS-5.1-i386-bin-DVD.iso
2007-Nov-25 03:31:05
3.5G
application/x-iso9660-image

this is the whole thing on one bootable DVD.**** you can use this to
install the whole thing or any subset.

the .torrent files are for downloading via teh bittorrent protocol, by
themselves they are of no use.* the md5 and sha1 sum files can be used
for verifying the other files via the appropriate checksum utility.**
The LiveCD is a standalone bootable 'Live' boot that lets you try out
CentOS without actually installing it on your hard disk.

Old 06-12-2008, 06:33 AM
"Indunil Jayasooriya"

Hi rajeev

> http://mirror.averse.net/centos/5.1/isos/i386/ Please tell me which files I
> need to burn?

Since you use dvd, this is the ONE you need.

http://mirror.averse.net/centos/5.1/isos/i386/CentOS-5.1-i386-bin-DVD.iso

burn this ISO and set the boot squence of BIOS to dvd

Then , boot it.

--
Thank you
Indunil Jayasooriya