Old 06-12-2008, 01:16 AM
"Harry Sukumar"

Default School Server Setup-Summary

Dear All,

*

Thank you very much to every one on the
list for the sincere suggestion and recommendations

*

I have received amazing response from all;
I will try to recap

*

a)**** Use CentOS for server infrastructure and fedora
8 on the workstations

b)**** Use K12ltsp-terminal server and all the client
machines as thin clients

c)***** Use CentOS as Server and Ubuntu as client OS

d)**** Use RHEL on the server ( NO RHEL NO CENTOS)

e)**** Use SME from Contribs.org for server and ubuntu
for clients

f)***** Use Scientific Linux (binary compatibility with
RHEL) for Server

g)**** Clarkconnect for server side and Ubuntu or FC
on client side

h)**** Use IPcop as firewall

*

Although ClarkConnect, SME are based on
RHEL, I have decided not to go on that path because of lack of large community behind
them + Vendor Lock-In

*

With K12ltsp- sounds very nice but I don’t
have a large and grunty server I have to make the workstation as server, probably
a good option if I had a powerful server L

*

With serious consideration I have
decided to go with suggestion a) Use CentOS for server infrastructure and
Fedora 8 on workstation and have old machine running IPCop as firewall

*

I would like to take this opportunity to
thank you all, this mailing list is by far the best I have ever seen, I would
like to specially thank Ian Blackwell for offering more support and help;

*

I will keep you updated on this project,
I am sure there will be a lot of question and problem that will raise and
conjure from this project

*

Once again thank you all for the help
and effort