Old 06-24-2008, 08:30 PM
Luke S Crawford

Default Centos 5.2 and Xen

Ruslan Sivak <russ@vshift.com> writes:
> Tom Lanyon wrote:
> > On 24/06/2008, at 9:08 AM, Luke S Crawford wrote:
> >> We were discussing memory limits of the free (as in beer) closed source
> >> citrix xensource product- limits are added to the free product in order
> >> to encourage people to upgrade to the more expensive products.
>
> From what I understand, Citrix does provide source to their product,
> so other then licensing, how is it different from open source?

like most of the dual-licensed products, if you pay you get support, and
a nice GUI admin tool. The Citrix XenSource product has another
advantage that is worth paying for: Paravirtualized windows drivers-
Citrix/XenSource will provide you with stable paravirt disk and network
drivers. Very important things, if you plan on doing serious work with
your windows guest.

Of course, I'm all *NIX, so yeah, for me there isn't much difference.
But if you are running windows, Citrix/XenSource provides some compelling
value.

Old 06-24-2008, 09:28 PM
Ruslan Sivak

Luke S Crawford wrote:
like most of the dual-licensed products, if you pay you get support, and
a nice GUI admin tool. The Citrix XenSource product has another
advantage that is worth paying for: Paravirtualized windows drivers-
Citrix/XenSource will provide you with stable paravirt disk and network
drivers. Very important things, if you plan on doing serious work with
your windows guest.

Of course, I'm all *NIX, so yeah, for me there isn't much difference.
But if you are running windows, Citrix/XenSource provides some compelling
value.

I'm not quite sure it's dual licensed, because that would imply that
someone can recompile their product and get full functionality for free,
albeit without support. The free XenServer is still limited to 4GB of
RAM and 4 VM's per server. Also from what I can see, XenServer lacks
the ability to do snapshots, which I really don't understand considering
they're using LVM.

And actually James has been making great strides with his GPLPV drivers,
so freeware Xen is catching up to XenServer fairly fast, although it's
still lacking good GUI tools.

Hopefully soon James will release version 1.0 of his drivers, and I can
finally consider using Xen in production.

Russ