-   -   Bind Standard Practise (http://www.linux-archive.org/centos/104829-bind-standard-practise.html)

"Joseph L. Casale" 06-11-2008 03:48 PM

Bind Standard Practise

In a chroot Bind installation, named.conf is located in /var/named/chroot/etc/.
In that file, references to files for includes and other zones can be made as "filename"
without a path. What is the expected location when no path is used, simply up one dir
under chroot/? While moving a DNS from one machine to another, I noticed all ref's are
"/etc/filename" and they are in the same dir as named.conf which obviously looks different
from all the sample files.

Thanks!
jlc

"Joseph L. Casale" 06-11-2008 03:53 PM

Bind Standard Practise

>In a chroot Bind installation, named.conf is located in /var/named/chroot/etc/.
>In that file, references to files for includes and other zones can be made as "filename"
>without a path. What is the expected location when no path is used, simply up one dir
>under chroot/? While moving a DNS from one machine to another, I noticed all ref's are
>"/etc/filename" and they are in the same dir as named.conf which obviously looks different
>from all the sample files.

Jumped the gun there:)
options
{
directory "/var/named"; // the default
};

CMIIW, so when not using a path, this is where it expects files.

Craig White 06-11-2008 04:05 PM

Bind Standard Practise

On Wed, 2008-06-11 at 09:53 -0600, Joseph L. Casale wrote:
> >In a chroot Bind installation, named.conf is located in /var/named/chroot/etc/.
> >In that file, references to files for includes and other zones can be made as "filename"
> >without a path. What is the expected location when no path is used, simply up one dir
> >under chroot/? While moving a DNS from one machine to another, I noticed all ref's are
> >"/etc/filename" and they are in the same dir as named.conf which obviously looks different
> >from all the sample files.
>
> Jumped the gun there:)
> options
> {
> directory "/var/named"; // the default
> };
>
> CMIIW, so when not using a path, this is where it expects files.
----
relative the chroot path of course

Craig