-   -   OT - host/asset tracking (http://www.linux-archive.org/centos/104770-ot-host-asset-tracking.html)

Mark Belanger 06-11-2008 02:46 PM

OT - host/asset tracking

Can anyone recommend something for tracking assets
particularly computer. I'm looking to capture:
hostname
OS/arch
Hardware info(cpu, mem, etc)
Function(i.e. what is the machine used for)

-Mark

John Plemons 06-11-2008 02:49 PM

OT - host/asset tracking

Why not setup a simple DB, or use a spread sheet...* Open Office should
have the tools you need....

john plemons

Mark Belanger wrote:
Can anyone
recommend something for tracking assets

particularly computer.* I'm looking* to capture:

hostname

OS/arch

Hardware info(cpu, mem, etc)

Function(i.e. what is the machine used for)

-Mark

CentOS@centos.org

Checked by AVG.

Matt Hyclak 06-11-2008 02:56 PM

OT - host/asset tracking

On Wed, Jun 11, 2008 at 10:46:05AM -0400, Mark Belanger enlightened us:
> Can anyone recommend something for tracking assets
> particularly computer. I'm looking to capture:
> hostname
> OS/arch
> Hardware info(cpu, mem, etc)
> Function(i.e. what is the machine used for)

OCS might be a little more than what you want, but is a possibility.

http://www.ocsinventory-ng.org/

Matt

--
Matt Hyclak
Department of Mathematics

Mark Belanger 06-11-2008 03:01 PM

OT - host/asset tracking

John Plemons wrote:
Why not setup a simple DB, or use a spread sheet... Open Office should
have the tools you need....

Easily done of course. I was thinking a simple web based asset tracker
may save a little wheel-reinvention and give me a few nice reports for
the suits.

-Mark

Max Hetrick 06-11-2008 03:26 PM

OT - host/asset tracking

Karanbir Singh 06-11-2008 04:41 PM

OT - host/asset tracking

Mark Belanger wrote:

Can anyone recommend something for tracking assets
particularly computer. I'm looking to capture:
hostname
OS/arch
Hardware info(cpu, mem, etc)
Function(i.e. what is the machine used for)

How much of this could you get done with Smolt / Func ? The s/w is
available in the testing repo for centos4/5 at the moment..

Les Mikesell 06-11-2008 05:06 PM

OT - host/asset tracking

Max Hetrick wrote:

Mark Belanger wrote:

Can anyone recommend something for tracking assets
particularly computer. I'm looking to capture:
hostname
OS/arch
Hardware info(cpu, mem, etc)
Function(i.e. what is the machine used for)

I use GLPI:

<http://glpi-project.org/?lang=en>

You can do software, contracts, licenses, suppliers, and contacts as
well as all the hardware categories.

Someone else mentioned ocsinventory-ng
(http://www.ocsinventory-ng.org/), but to complete the picture,
ocsinventory-ng includes agents for windows and linux that will
automatically send each machine's hardware and software inventory to the
server periodically and can be used to deploy packages so it is easier
and more accurate than doing it by hand and will stay up to date. GLPI
is a more completed and detailed inventory system that can handle more
than PCs, but it knows how to pull the data from ocsinventory when you
use both.

Both are available via yum from these repositories (needs EPEL too)
http://blog.famillecollet.com/post/2005/10/02/8-telechargement-installation-et-yum
and they work fine in English even though the developers are French.

--
Les Mikesell
lesmikesell@gmail.com

Max Hetrick 06-11-2008 05:35 PM

OT - host/asset tracking

Les Mikesell 06-12-2008 06:41 AM

OT - host/asset tracking

Max Hetrick wrote:

Someone else mentioned ocsinventory-ng
(http://www.ocsinventory-ng.org/), but to complete the picture,
ocsinventory-ng includes agents for windows and linux that will
automatically send each machine's hardware and software inventory to the
server periodically and can be used to deploy packages so it is easier
and more accurate than doing it by hand and will stay up to date. GLPI
is a more completed and detailed inventory system that can handle more
than PCs, but it knows how to pull the data from ocsinventory when you
use both.

Thanks, Les. I totally forgot that you could integrate ocsinventory into
GLPI. I've not used that portion, but I may pursue that in the near
future since you just reminded me! :)

I'm just starting to roll out the agent to a large number of machines.
It reports a level of detail that would be difficult or impossible to
maintain by hand, including things like the number of memory slots and
their contents and the mac/ip addresses of all NICs, active or not.

--
Les Mikesell
lesmikesell@gmail.com

Max Hetrick 06-12-2008 12:56 PM