Old 06-12-2008, 01:41 PM
Les Mikesell

Default OT - host/asset tracking

Max Hetrick wrote:

>> I'm just starting to roll out the agent to a large number of machines.

It reports a level of detail that would be difficult or impossible to
maintain by hand, including things like the number of memory slots and
their contents and the mac/ip addresses of all NICs, active or not.

Cool. I remember playing a bit with ocsinventory about two years ago,
but I never really stuck with making myself use it. I think I'll check
into it again, especially if it's easy to pull data over into GLPI from it.

The current version is considerably nicer, and there is a new tool to
remotely deploy the agents. I think it has to run under windows but it
will deploy both the windows and linux agents using windows management
protocol or ssh.

I really like the detail of GLPI, so that would be a perfect fit.

I'm sort of hoping to go one step further and extract data from the ocs
or glpi databases into the pentaho tools for reporting and analysis
(http://www.pentaho.com) but I don't have any experience with that yet.

--
Les Mikesell
lesmikesell@gmail.com