Old 06-11-2008, 09:05 AM
Laurence Alexander Hurst

Default RHEL/CentOS5.2 and rsyslogd

Hi there,
I am slightly confused by the RHEL release notes and an earlier thread
here about rsyslogd, so I hope someone can clear this up for me;

I see that rsyslog is included in RHEL as of 5.2 (and so will be
available in CentOS when 5.2 is ready) however there is no indication of
whether it has been made the default syslogger or not - is it an
optional package or installed by default on a fresh install? (I would
check myself, but I do not have any RHEL5 machines to hand.)

Thanks
-Laurence

Old 06-11-2008, 09:54 AM
Mogens Kjaer

Laurence Alexander Hurst wrote:
I see that rsyslog is included in RHEL as of 5.2 (and so will be
available in CentOS when 5.2 is ready) however there is no indication of
whether it has been made the default syslogger or not - is it an
optional package or installed by default on a fresh install?

It is not installed on a RHEL 5.2 machine upgraded from 5.1,
don't know about a fresh install.

Mogens

Phone: +45 33 27 53 25, Fax: +45 33 27 47 08
Email: mk@crc.dk Homepage: http://www.crc.dk

Old 06-11-2008, 10:52 AM
Ralph Angenendt

Laurence Alexander Hurst wrote:
> Hi there,
> I am slightly confused by the RHEL release notes and an earlier thread
> here about rsyslogd, so I hope someone can clear this up for me;
>
> I see that rsyslog is included in RHEL as of 5.2 (and so will be
> available in CentOS when 5.2 is ready) however there is no indication of
> whether it has been made the default syslogger or not - is it an
> optional package or installed by default on a fresh install?

It is an optional install which can be installed alongside sysklogd.

So if you want to use it you have to disable or uninstall sysklogd and
install and enable rsyslogd.

Cheers,

Ralph