-   -   RHEL/CentOS5.2 and rsyslogd (http://www.linux-archive.org/centos/104589-rhel-centos5-2-rsyslogd.html)

Laurence Alexander Hurst 06-11-2008 09:05 AM

RHEL/CentOS5.2 and rsyslogd

Hi there,
I am slightly confused by the RHEL release notes and an earlier thread
here about rsyslogd, so I hope someone can clear this up for me;

I see that rsyslog is included in RHEL as of 5.2 (and so will be
available in CentOS when 5.2 is ready) however there is no indication of
whether it has been made the default syslogger or not - is it an
optional package or installed by default on a fresh install? (I would
check myself, but I do not have any RHEL5 machines to hand.)

Thanks
-Laurence

Mogens Kjaer 06-11-2008 09:54 AM

RHEL/CentOS5.2 and rsyslogd

Laurence Alexander Hurst wrote:
I see that rsyslog is included in RHEL as of 5.2 (and so will be
available in CentOS when 5.2 is ready) however there is no indication of
whether it has been made the default syslogger or not - is it an
optional package or installed by default on a fresh install?

It is not installed on a RHEL 5.2 machine upgraded from 5.1,
don't know about a fresh install.

Mogens

Phone: +45 33 27 53 25, Fax: +45 33 27 47 08
Email: mk@crc.dk Homepage: http://www.crc.dk

Ralph Angenendt 06-11-2008 10:52 AM

RHEL/CentOS5.2 and rsyslogd

Laurence Alexander Hurst wrote:
> Hi there,
> I am slightly confused by the RHEL release notes and an earlier thread
> here about rsyslogd, so I hope someone can clear this up for me;
>
> I see that rsyslog is included in RHEL as of 5.2 (and so will be
> available in CentOS when 5.2 is ready) however there is no indication of
> whether it has been made the default syslogger or not - is it an
> optional package or installed by default on a fresh install?

It is an optional install which can be installed alongside sysklogd.

So if you want to use it you have to disable or uninstall sysklogd and
install and enable rsyslogd.

Cheers,

Ralph